General upgrades

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

compgeek 1979

General upgrades

Post by compgeek 1979 »

Got my first scooter - 2015 Genuine Buddy 50. I live in Las Vegas so it gets HOT in the summers, but relatively cold in the winters.

My question is.... What upgrades do I need to do in order to get a smooth 45 mph out of it with some reserve for the hills?

I don't need a speed demon, just something that can stay in traffic and have power left for when i need it.

I know they have a 70mm bore kit, pipes, among other things, and I have read several posts on here but they seem to be kinda old.

I am concerned about engine life and MPGs. I don't want to be reving out of a safe range, and acceleration doesn't really matter, the stock acceleration is fine, Right now I am pushing 34MPH with it de-regulated, but I want an easy 45 with some reserve power..

So what is out there that will give me the power and MPGs (i assume a new trans)?
2015 Buddy 50 8700 miles all original
iamryan25

Re: General upgrades

Post by iamryan25 »

compgeek 1979 wrote:I know they have a 70mm bore kit, pipes, among other things, and I have read several posts on here but they seem to be kinda old.

I am concerned about engine life and MPGs. I don't want to be reving out of a safe range, and acceleration doesn't really matter, the stock acceleration is fine, Right now I am pushing 34MPH with it de-regulated, but I want an easy 45 with some reserve power..

So what is out there that will give me the power and MPGs (i assume a new trans)?
I recommend finding a route that doesn't require the speeds you're trying to do on a 49cc scooter.

Typically, the speeds you're trying to accomplish on your Buddy shouldn't be happening with that 49cc. You really need to consider a 125.

The brakes are smaller and the suspension is lighter, you're going to be putting a lot of extra wear and tear on that 49cc.

You'll be putting even more wear and tear when going to performance parts.

Typically, longevity with these little scooter engines is longest with oem parts.

That scooter wasn't really designed to go as fast as the larger displacement variations.

I'd think you would find more value in saving the money you'd spend on all the upgrades to put towards a larger version, like the Buddy 125.
The red ones are faster.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

If your Buddy 50 is a two stroke, I would hot rod it with intake, CDI and exhaust mods, but keep the displacement at 50cc (it will rev higher, which is necessary for a higher top speed).
-If you have a four stroke, throw in the towel and get a 125cc to attain those speeds.
_By the way; congratulations on attracting the Raiders to Vegas!
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

A properly set-up aftermarket variator, carbon fiber reeds and a entry level expansion style exhaust will make a huge difference. I have a Yamaha Zuma 2 stroke and thats all I did and it will run 48mph. Has been super reliable and still gets good mpg. Now I dont know what everyone runs brand wise on a Buddy/Rough House (same motors) but I also hear that the Super Transmission kit by NCY works great on its own. 34mph de-regulated? I de-restricted a friends wifes Buddy 50 and it will hit 45mph solid. Make sure the variator restriction washer is removed and the cone in the exhaust down pipe has been dremeled out. Thats all we did.