Are all my lights working?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sharon

Are all my lights working?

Post by Sharon »

I have a new Buddy 125 Italia. I just noticed that there appears to be light bulbs in the 2 little v shaped front fender area (sorry, don't know how to "call" that area), however, nothing seems to light. I've tried all light switches & emergency switch. All regular lights work. Is that area just for looks or should it light?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

You have no problem, rest assured!

Those are the original turn signals but DOT requires the little dangly turn signals that are an obvious afterthought on our handlebars. So Genuine just put the wires from those original lights on to the new signals.

You can take off the front plastic and wire the old ones up again- there's some threads here about it. Some (Keys?) have even removed the DOT signals.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

those a blinkers, and there is nothing wrong with yours. they hook up the blinkers under the handlebars, and not the ones you are referring to, but if you are so inclined it's really simple to get working.
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

Aha! So, can I wire those and still have the DOT ones working?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Sharon wrote:Aha! So, can I wire those and still have the DOT ones working?
Yup, that thread I linked in my reply tells you how (though the pictures of how to do it don't show up for me anymore). It's in the Technical Library section of the forums here.

Also searching things like "DOT Signals" might turn up more threads...

They can be wired as additional turn signals or as running lights apparently.

I'd love to have them as running lights but that thread wasn't enough for my mechanically challenged mind to figure out!
tam

Post by tam »

I'm one of the people that removed the handlebar signals completely. Just be sure that when you 'rewire' (which is very easy), you'll also need to put in different bulbs in the original signals, or they will blink too fast. I'm fuzzy on the details but it's in the thread that describes how to do the work. Overall it's very easy but the original headlight covers can be a bit of a hassle to take off. If you can use a screwdriver without injuring youself, you can do this job without any problems, it's entrylevel :)
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

its really easy to add those to lights on as blinkers.... on the 2007 model leaving all 4 on and working you dont have to change the bulbs or anything, they all blink the correct speed even when the 4-way flashers are being used... and its a really really easy modification to make...
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

Thanks for all this info. I will try my skills at doing this after the cold weather breaks.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

My memory is a little hazy here but I think I have the details correct, at least for 2006 models.

If you remove the DOT signals and connect the OEM signals, you don't need different bulbs. Everything works as designed.

If you want to add the OEM lights into the DOT circuit, you'll need new bulbs for at least one set of signals but I don't remember which for sure. I'm thinking you need to replace the OEM signal bulbs though.

I too completely removed the DOT signals because they look like crap. No, wait, they ARE crap. Quite possibly one of the shabbier DOT turn signal "solutions" I've ever seen. However, lots of people feel safer with the DOTs or both systems running. Either way, it's about a 1/2 hour job with simple tools.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Does removing the DOT signals technically make our Buddys non-street legal? I don't have inspections here in FL (except when I take my driving test I suppose) but it would be nice to know.

Also- in the thread titled "DOT to Stock Turn Signals (pics)" are the pics missing from the first post? They are for me but I just wanted to make sure it was not JUST me!!
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

Yes, the pictures are missing for me too. I hope they get reposted.
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

complete removal of the DOT lights does make it NON-LEGAL as far as the Dept Of Transportation... i personally dont know if you can get a ticket or anything for not having them if you are pulled over for anything and the Police Officer actually knows about them... I dont know anything on the Connection process for anything other than the 2007 year but it was SUPER EASY to add them on and i am NO Electrician at all... i kinda like having both sets working on mine, i personally feel much safer knowing that there is more than one blinking light for the caged to notice when coming up on me... just my thoughts though...
Last edited by SERIES ITALIA RIDER on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bethers

Post by Bethers »

If DOT requires them - how can you say removing them doesn't make them not legal?

Personally, I'd like the others as running lights, but might go with extra turnsignals - haven't decided yet.

But I will not remove the DOT ones - as they were placed there because they were REQUIRED - which they looked for them when I took mine in to license it.
Beth
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Bethers wrote:If DOT requires them - how can you say removing them doesn't make them not legal?
he didn't... he said it would make it non-street legal... but that it's highly possible nothing would happen except maybe in an inspection. Maybe the others who have done this mod can comment more...?
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

he didn't... he said it would make it non-street legal... but that it's highly possible nothing would happen except maybe in an inspection. Maybe the others who have done this mod can comment more...?
Exactly Joe....
Removal of the DOT lights makes your scoot ILLEGAL as far as getting it licensed in the USA, but once you have a license on it I would geuss you can get away with Removing the DOT lights until you go to Sell it...
Bethers

Post by Bethers »

Brain dead here - yes, it is what you said! Misread it. Sorry.

Going to bed now and will wait till tomorrow to put my foot in my mouth the next time :)
Beth
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Wiring the DOT and OEM signals together doesn't require any bulb changes, it was about the first thing I did when I got mine. Easy and works great, they blink correct rate etc.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Jed

Post by Jed »

Can someone describe to me where the 3 screws are located to remove the front plate? I found the silver one dead center under the logo but the other two seem to be a mystery to me. Any other helpful ideas and tips would be appreciated as well. I really want to get those other turn signals working.

One more thing, if anyone out there has experience turning wrenches on the Buddy and wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge of engine maintenance I would really appreciate it. I have nothing in particular in mind but really want to learn how to maintain the engine as much as I can.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Jed wrote:Can someone describe to me where the 3 screws are located to remove the front plate? I found the silver one dead center under the logo but the other two seem to be a mystery to me.
The other two are on the other side of the cover- look next to the glove compartment. They are recessed quite far ... you're probably looking on the front side, but they are on the back! Tricky tricky!