Motorcycle Tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dune56

Motorcycle Tires

Post by Dune56 »

What brand of Motorcycle tires can you recommend for my 2009 Genuine Scooter Company BUDDY 150? I only use my scooter during weekends to do some errands.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Continental Zippy and Michelin City Grips (?) are good tires from experience.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

We are running Continental Zippys on our Buddy now. I recommend them.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Dooglas. Who do you order the Continental Zippys from? Are they tubeless? I assume that the stock tires on my 125 Buddy are tubeless. I'd like to get Zippys in a 3.5-10, to replace the stock tires, but read that they don't make the 3.5-10 anymore.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

They were purchased from Motorcycle Superstore, and yes they are tubeless.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/17 ... -rear-tire
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Dooglas. I've watched some good youtubes on removing and mounting motorcycle tires by hand. Looks like it takes patience, but can be done with rim protectors and tire irons. Because the Buddy has a small 10" rim is it more difficult to remove and mount tires than the somewhat larger motorcycle tires. The shop near me wants $30/tire to mount the tires. They discourage me from trying it on my own without a machine.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

At some point you either open your wallet, or get your hands dirty. $60.00 to mount two 10" tires is a ripoff. Sure they discourage you from doing it yourself. You can yak about it all day long, but until you actually try it, how is it you offer advice?
Tire off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM44nB0IoKA

Tire on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kiU7_m5JbA

A quality set of spoons is less than $15.00.

Two scrap pieces of 2x4 can easily break your bead.
Let the tires set in the direct sun for 10 minutes prior to working on them.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

OK. I'll try it.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

DeeDee wrote:At some point you either open your wallet, or get your hands dirty. $60.00 to mount two 10" tires is a ripoff. Sure they discourage you from doing it yourself. You can yak about it all day long, but until you actually try it, how is it you offer advice?
To say it is a ripoff is very subjective. I pay $40 a tire to get a tire mounted on one of my motorcycles. Because frankly, I just do not feel like doing it myself and I have more money than time (I am not alone). Heaven forbid a motorcycle shop make a profit and try and cover the costs of their equipment. I do the tire changes myself on my vintage Vespa's but, that is a different beast all together with split rims.

Honestly, there are a number of things that I can speak knowledgeably about that I have never done in person.