balancing Buddy tire

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

balancing Buddy tire

Post by Mike1nw »

2008 125

I think the front wheel is out of balance. Vibes over 35 mph.

Can't use my trusty Harbor Frt. motorcycle wheel balancer: its axle is 1/2 inch where the Buddy front axle is 12 mm.

Can't find a 12mm rod.

Can't balance on the bike, usually you can remove the front caliper and balance it, but this Buddy has that speedometer fitting (increased drag).

Any ideas?
fried okra

Re: balancing Buddy tire

Post by fried okra »

Does the wheel rim look to be out of round or bent it you spin it when the scoot is on the center stand?

Does the tire look to have irregular wear spots?

Just thinking.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Mike1nw wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:46 pmCan't balance on the bike, usually you can remove the front caliper and balance it, but this Buddy has that speedometer fitting (increased drag).

Any ideas?
If you pull the axle out you can remove the part that connects the speedometer cable to the front wheel. Then put the axle back in and you should be down to almost no drag.
voodooskin

Post by voodooskin »

I purchased a Marc Parnes static setup:

http://www.marcparnes.com/Motor_Scooter ... lancer.htm

Barely fits but does, and now my Buddy 125's vibes are reduced after balancing both front and rear wheels.

My $0.02
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

After re-checking the tires, both are dated 2008.... So I'm replacing both. Pity, the bike is a 2008 with only 2,000 or so miles! :wha:

I did use the front axle to check the balance. I think the small weight and diameter, and bearing drag, conspire against an accurate balance.

BUT- The front tire itself is out-of-round by about 1/10 inch. So there ya go.....
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Mike1nw wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:03 pmAfter re-checking the tires, both are dated 2008.... So I'm replacing both. Pity, the bike is a 2008 with only 2,000 or so miles! :wha:
Something to consider when buying new tires is that some 10" are made better and are more balanced. Tires like the Pirelli Angels don't even come with the dot to mark where the value should be. I have run them for a while and they are quite smooth riding, even with slightly out of balance wheels. I believe that Michelin tires are also balanced enough that they don't need a dot.

On the other hand I have ridden some brand new Kendas that were really out of balance from the factory.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My local dealer says he's never had to balance a small scooter tire/wheel so I took his advise and didn't bother balancing my tires/wheels for the last two tire changes. I've never run into any vibration problems on my Buddy and I ride at speeds up to 65 mph. I generally buy Michelin or Heidenau tires. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.