How much for my Stella?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Theodlucas

How much for my Stella?

Post by Theodlucas »

I have a beautiful green 2012 Genuine Stella 4T manual with only 1,800 miles. Everything works great except the starter motor is broken It starts fine with one or two strokes of the lick starter. I can't shift it any more with my arthritis. I'm thinking of asking $2,000 (Los Angeles area). Does that sound about right?
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

That sounds like a lot of money for a broken 8 year old Taiwanese scooter.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Alzero wrote:That sounds like a lot of money for a broken 8 year old Taiwanese scooter.
Especially since they were manufactured in India.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I don't want to ruin your day, friend, but I'm not convinced this is a $2000 scooter in 100% functional condition. And yours isn't.

Here's an ad for a '14 in good shape for $1295

https://www.smartcycleguide.com/L52449041
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Alzero wrote:That sounds like a lot of money for a broken 8 year old Taiwanese scooter.
Especially since they were manufactured in India.
That makes it worth even less!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The 4T Stella has become an orphan since the manufacturer (LML in India) went out of business. Unlike the 2T Stella, it has few parts in common with the P/PX Vespas, so parts are becoming hard to find. That is bound to affect resale value.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

If shifting it is your only problem, have you considered trading it in on a new Buddy? Or Royal Alloy if you really like metal scooters? I'm thinking a dealer may give a loyal Genuine customer a better deal than you could get from a random Craigslist ad. Sorry to hear. Good luck with the sale.
Rdrett

Re: How much for my Stella?

Post by Rdrett »

Theodlucas wrote:I have a beautiful green 2012 Genuine Stella 4T manual with only 1,800 miles. Everything works great except the starter motor is broken It starts fine with one or two strokes of the lick starter. I can't shift it any more with my arthritis. I'm thinking of asking $2,000 (Los Angeles area). Does that sound about right?
It good condition $800.

In current condition $500
Guff

Post by Guff »

Realistically, $1000 - $1200
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I think we scared him off, folks! :)
JettaKnight

Re: How much for my Stella?

Post by JettaKnight »

Theodlucas wrote:I have a beautiful green 2012 Genuine Stella 4T manual with only 1,800 miles. Everything works great except the starter motor is broken It starts fine with one or two strokes of the lick starter.
The thought of stroking a lick starter is gross.

8)
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

My comment won't be popular and I admit that I do not have my finger constantly on the pulse of what used scooters sell for, etc., but I really think too many of you are exaggerating the "great buys" out there. Great buys do not come up all that often, in my experience, and I do scan the Minneapolis craigslist. Also, if a good buy does come up the scooter may need some work which is no problem IF you are familiar with wrenching on scooters, which many new buyers are not, and to pay a mechanic for repair may erase any "good buy" gain. I think you do a real disservice to those new buyers who ask your opinion about the sale price of a scooter they are considering and are told there are way better deals out there. Not everything has to be a "great deal".
And to not get a "good deal" is not a personal failure of some kind. It's better the person gets a reliable scooter and get riding it. I understand this person is selling, but it's the same thing in reverse.