No Title Problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

someguy

No Title Problem

Post by someguy »

Okay so hypothetically, say you just got a pretty good deal off of craigslist for a Genuine Buddy 50cc. You manage to pick it up for $450 with 5k miles and it runs like a dream. Over the next few days you absolutely fall in love with it: always thinking about it and wanting to ride 24/7.

The time comes where it's a rainy day and you have nothing to do so you decide to do an oil change. You whip out the manual and notice your 50cc buddy doesn't quite line up with what the manual shows. In fact, your buddy is actually a 4 stroke instead of a 2 stroke. Now how is that possible? You look further and find the metal tag under scooter says it is indeed a 125cc. However, the outside plastic panels on the buddy has the emblems saying it is a 50cc.

Here is the problem, this means you bought a scooter that requires a title to which you don't have. What do you do now? Do you just ride it slow and hope you don't get pulled over? Do you try and find the guy who sold it to you and kick his ass?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'd check the VIN with the police to see if it is stolen. If it isn't, ride it like you stole it.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Have you been feeding it premixed gas and oil? (is this even required by modern 2 strokes? Or are they oil injected?) Also, it's possible that the *vehicle* is a Buddy 50, and the engine has simply been swapped with a 125 engine. People occasionally do swaps on Ruckuses and Vespas.

Though, the bump from 50 to 125cc might put you in a different license class, if that matters.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

There should be a metal tag riveted on the outside of the drink cubby. It will tell you the displacement. 2nd vote for running the vin. Better to find out if it's a stolen bike sooner rather than later. I know this from experience.
Attachments
aaanow.jpg
aaanow.jpg (4.86 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

Another possibility is that it was always a 125, laid down, and swapped body panels with a 50cc. Agreed with the above posters. Check the vin with your police department. You get caught with stolen property, they don't care who you bought it from.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I was under the impression that all motor vehicles required titles, but maybe it's different where you're from.

Depending upon the laws in your state/locality, this could also be a case of someone buying a 125 and re-badging it as a 50 so as to:

- Avoid having to pay registration fees,
- Use it as transportation under restrictions after one or more DUI's
- Park it on sidewalks or reserved locations.
Mr Stiffy

Post by Mr Stiffy »

Title laws vary by state
In Maine, under 150cc does not require a title, nor could you obtain one if you tried
Check the VIN to see what it is regustered as.
If it is 50cc, then when a cop pulls you over and runs the VIN, it'll pop up as 50cc and you will be fine without a motorcycle license. Thank the previous owner for the engine upgrade, don't be pissed!
If VIN comes up as 125cc, then go track down previous owner if you need title and get license, or just sell it and go pick up a 50
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Please clarify. Where you live you don't require a title for a 50cc so when you bought the bike the seller didn't give you one, hopefully just a Bill of Sale. First step would be to talk to the seller to see if they can explain the discrepancy between the engine size and scooter labels. After that, I would check with your local police to run the VIN to see if it is stolen or if there is an existing title. Assuming that it is not stolen, an easy way to get it titled/registered/legally yours would be to register it in Vermont (they have liberal registration laws there, Google it and you'll find search results on it). Fill out the registration form and the cost would be around $73, I believe for any purchase price under $500. They will give you a plate and registration making you legal. If you then chose to re-register/title it in your state it should not be a problem to work with your local DMV.

This process worked for me and a 2006 Genuine Black Cat that I bought without a title and wanted to operate in Texas (which does require registration of 50cc scooters). I have a current Vermont plate and registration on the scooter. I haven't re-registered the bike in Texas but will try to do so when my current plate expires in August. If Texas won't allow me to register it there I will just renew the Vermont registration.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You may also be able to get a "bonded title" in your state. I got a bonded title on an ancient Honda. The bond alone is usually less than $100.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Mr Stiffy wrote: If it is 50cc, then when a cop pulls you over and runs the VIN, it'll pop up as 50cc and you will be fine without a motorcycle license.
No in most states if you are riding a 125 without endorsement you could get in a buttload of trouble. How would they know? Let's say you get in a wreck.

Well the insurance company is probably going to find out. Since you are committing a crime no insurance coverage...from anybody including medical and life insurance.

Then there is that riding without endorsment. It varies state by state but in Florida riding without an endorsement is as bad as driving without a licence.

As mentioned above, play it straight, get it sorted, learn from it...but don't mess up your life over a scooter!

Keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL