Gas Leak 2009 Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thumbuddy

Gas Leak 2009 Buddy 125

Post by thumbuddy »

Thought I had an oil leak over the winter. Pulled it out of the garage started right up and quickly ran out of gas ? I stored it with full gas and stabilizer. I filled it up, hit the starter and it would not fire. Smelled gas and noticed gas running from the bottom of the air filter box. Not dripping but running. What's wrong?
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Sounds like a stuck float.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

If you take the air filter cover off and let it air out for a few hours it should start(but will probably take a lot of cranking and will run poorly for the first 5-10 miles.) But you also need to check the oil to see if any gas got in there. If there is gas in the oil you need to change it.

My Buddy used to do the same thing anytime the temperature changed more than 30 degrees overnight. If I left less than 1/4 tank of gas it usually was fine.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Same thing happened to me with my 2008 Buddy 125. Turns out that the float (in the lower part of the carb. bowl) was maybe stuck open, but was definitely set too high, allowing gas to overflow out of the carb. Also, my petcock was not working. It is attached directly under the gas tank and should stop gas from leaving the gas tank if the scooter is NOT running. So, in order for gas to leave the tank and come out the airbox, with the engine not running, both the petcock and float would have to fail.. Mine did. I cleaned out the lower part of the carb, (there was a piece of gunk there) and set the float lower. I also replaced the petcock, but the new one still is not reliable at times. (I've been told this is unusual.)
If you think gas got into the engine, (the oil on the dipstick may smell like gas) be sure to change your oil. There are many really knowledgeable mechanics on this site that can help you.
Remous

Post by Remous »

I had the same issue as well. My float needle was stuck. Make sure when you open the carb up you put the black rubber peice back on correctly and make sure it is sealed. Mine wasn't sealed properly the first time and my buddy was bogging out around 30 mph.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ucandoit wrote:Same thing happened to me with my 2008 Buddy 125. Turns out that the float (in the lower part of the carb. bowl) was maybe stuck open, but was definitely set too high, allowing gas to overflow out of the carb. Also, my petcock was not working. It is attached directly under the gas tank and should stop gas from leaving the gas tank if the scooter is NOT running. So, in order for gas to leave the tank and come out the airbox, with the engine not running, both the petcock and float would have to fail.. Mine did. I cleaned out the lower part of the carb, (there was a piece of gunk there) and set the float lower. I also replaced the petcock, but the new one still is not reliable at times. (I've been told this is unusual.)
If you think gas got into the engine, (the oil on the dipstick may smell like gas) be sure to change your oil. There are many really knowledgeable mechanics on this site that can help you.
Exactly this.

Also, since the fuel line for the Buddy is so accessible, it is possible to install a manual shut-off valve between the stock fuel shut-off and the carb. There are many different types out there, here is one example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motocycle-ATV-G ... 7R&vxp=mtr
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.