Any pro tips-putting a cover on while muffler still hot?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasong222

Any pro tips-putting a cover on while muffler still hot?

Post by jasong222 »

So... yeah:

I have a cheap scooter cover that I put on the bike when not riding. Often I put it on when I come home after a ride. Of course, the muffler (or exhaust, whatever) is hot when I do.

Too lazy to wait for it to cool down. Do try to hang it over in a way that it's not touching.

Any suggestions on how to put the cover on to completely avoid contact with the muffler? Or of a not too expensive cover that can handle that particular kind of abuse?

Tia-

-J
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I have not found any shortcuts. I just let the scoot cool down.
The headlight can also get hot enough to damage your cover.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

If the pipe is hot don't cover it, just cover the rest of the scooter and tuck the part of the cover near the hot exhaust up above the inner fender.

I do this all the time, then later come out and will cover the pipe once it cools... If I remember.
The red ones are faster.
eliu01

Post by eliu01 »

I have this scooter cover (https://dowcopowersports.com/guardian-scooter-cover/) and it has a protective patch over the muffler area. I always put it on immediately after I arrive at home.
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Thanks for the tips everyone-

I've looked at keeping the cover off the exhaust, but it's the (tucked) inside or above part that's the problem, it's protected from the outside....

I took a look at that cover, thanks- but some reviews seem to say that it'll burn through that patch as well. But I"ll still keep it an option.

I guess for now I'll stick with mine. Which is starting to get pretty ratty from the burn holes (lol?). Original thought was just to replace it with another of the same. But yeah, that whole 'safety' thing.... We'll see.

Thanks for the tips!
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....