The Scooter Wave

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bmorebuddy

The Scooter Wave

Post by bmorebuddy »

http://theducatikid.blogspot.com/2005/1 ... -wave.html

I thought this was pretty cool, just wish more people in bmore had scooters~
BoneGirl

2-wheel wave

Post by BoneGirl »

That is a great article. When I first started scootering, motorcycles would give me the "peace sign". After some research, I found it was 2-fingers for 2 wheels and not the peace sign. I also thought the 'big boy" motorcyclists were making fun of me but soon realized it was a comraderie thing after all. So I make every effort to give the low wave or helmet nod to all other 2-wheelers now.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I always wave at other scooters, but I'm not as consistent with motorcycles...

I know a lot of them don't feel like we *belong* or whatnot. :lol:

Most have been very cool, though, and I'm always at the ready to wave back should they wave first. :P
Huh? What just happened?
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Oh, God! You're a scooter snob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bmorebuddy

Post by bmorebuddy »

I wave to everyone...the other day i waved to a harley at a stop light. I thought he was going to get off and kick my a$$. So note to self take caution when you wave to those breed of rider's
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

BoneGirl wrote:Oh, God! You're a scooter snob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha! Well... sort of. I guess. :lol:

It's my fear that the motorcyclists will think that someone on a scooter isn't worthy of waving to them, and I just can't deal with that kind of rejection. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Oh, stop!!!!!!!!!!
Keys

Post by Keys »

C'mon, CatAxer...YOU do the wave FIRST and then they either are the snobs or they are forced (by shame) to respond! I ALWAYS wave at the sportbike riders, the cruiser riders, the tour riders and all...and very seldom do they fail to respond. Be bold. Make the first move and you are the one to be responded to. Who cares what they think? You'll probably never see them again, but they may think to themselves, "Wow! That scooterist had some serious confidence and self-assurance to wave first." Maybe they wouldn't use those words, but the idea would still be there. Be confident. Show 'em you ARE somebody.
Don't let popular opinion or perceived popular opinion run your life! You are a scooterist now!! You ARE somebody! Conduct yourself accordingly.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Being that I'm new to the whole two wheel world, I'm still a little nervous about the whole wave thing. I've had a few motorcycles wave at me on my way to work, but I don't think I'd ever initiate the wave.

I've noticed that the guys on crotch rockets and old men with Harley's don't wave. The guys that do wave are the ones that are usually younger and are driving something that resembles a chopper. It's this whole wierd demographic.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Some motorcyclists wave, some don't. I sometimes initiate, and mostly it's the younger folks or people on choppers who wave back. The crotch rocket riders (most of whom I see screaming around WITHOUT HELMETS) and the guys on the big cruisers don't usually wave back.
Not really from Iceland.
FormerStella

Post by FormerStella »

My husband is a motorcycle rider, so I really can't be a "scooter snob." I do initiate the wave once in a while, and most are nice, but I have run across a few Harley Snobs who won't wave back. It's funny, some of them don't even have Harleys. Anyway, that's their problem. I'd rather take the high road.
"But not a real green dress, that's cruel!"
KidDynomite

Scooter Wave

Post by KidDynomite »

Well, two full days and 143 fun-as-hell miles and I'm all about the 2 fingers two wheels wave.

Maybe I'm naive or overzealous, but I don't hesitate to initiate. I'd say I get about 90% response. I've also noticed it's the crotch rocket people that don't respond.

Cyclists in Kansas City appear to be totally supportive. After all as it said in the blog above, we're all in it together. I take the most satisfaction however in the mature cruiser bike rider that initiates. It makes me smile even while I have to lookout for morons to think someone else knows my plight.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

i've had some cyclists do the wave from afar, and then when they have gotten close enough to realize i'm a chick in full protective gear on a "GASP" cute scooter, they seem like they almost regret the wave!! i think that is funny. yes, i usually initiate wave, and always respond!
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Little kids are enthrawled with the scooter. I give them a wave and a beep when I can.
jess

Post by jess »

I wave to everyone. Usually, the guys on sports bikes ignore me and the guys on cruisers wave. Yesterday, I went to a rally in a different part of California than I normally ride (but still relatively close) and it was the opposite -- droves of sports bikes, every one of them waving, while I didn't get a wave from a single cruiser all day.

Could have been something to do with the fact that I was in a rally (25 or so of us going down the road) and the sports bikes were riding in groups as well, and so felt a different kind of camaraderie. The Harley boys were, naturally enough, riding alone.
Hypermotarded

Post by Hypermotarded »

Well I come to this from the other side: I have never owned a scooter, I just sell em. On the other hand I've been a motorcycle commuter for the last nine years and yes, I always wave at scooters.

As far as i'm concerned there are two rules to powered cycling:

1. Rubber side goes down, Shinny side stays up.

2. Find the ride you want and love, then get it, then ride it in a way that keeps you wanting it and loving it.

If you're following the rules, you are doing it right. It doesn't matter what you ride. You are a friend of mine-a comrade in arms of sorts.
Ducati Seattle is at your service. If you have buddy questions or needs, call me at (206) 298-9995. Keep the rubber side down out there kids.