My First Post! Hello! Question!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ModestKarma

My First Post! Hello! Question!

Post by ModestKarma »

Hey everyone. I've just decided to get my first scooter. Had a blast riding one in Nepal, Tokyo, and Mexico so I decided to get one here. Sadly I can't filter through traffic but i'll just have to deal with that.

Anyway I have narrowed down my choices between the Buddy 50 and the Roughhouse 50. I test drove the Roughhouse 50 today and it was really fun. I am going to test drive a used Buddy 50 tomorrow and will make my decision then. I like the RoughHouse look and the bigger tires for possible Denver weather.

I was wondering what you all thought of this deal I found on craigslist. I like to thinker and the problems listed seem pretty easy to fix and as such seem like a decent deal. Am I wrong in this assessment?

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6132881168.html

New is 2800 including tax. This deal would save me 1600 off sticker, plus a lock, storage, and cover!

I realize these 'Is this a good deal?' posts are annoying but if all goes according to plan I will be joining your ranks and all my other posts will hopefully be much less annoying.

This one also seems nice but is more expensive and has obviously been sitting around for a while.

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6132881168.html

Anyway, and help is much appreciated.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Can you ride a 50cc bike without a license in CO? I ask because you can't in AZ. (Both tour links are to the same ad.)

Oh, I suspect there is more damage than just the wheel in tour first CL ad.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I love my RH - but once it hits hills, it's a slog to get up. I've heard a big bore kit will help with grunt, not speed. ( You maintain 45mph going up hill) but that YMMV. Denver is pretty mountainous, is it not?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

Syd wrote:Can you ride a 50cc bike without a license in CO? I ask because you can't in AZ. (Both tour links are to the same ad.)

Oh, I suspect there is more damage than just the wheel in tour first CL ad.
Yeah you don't need a M license, use bike lanes(not bike paths), and park on the sidewalk.

I don't care about getting a license, I care more about parking on the street and using the bike lanes if needed(not often).

What additional damage do you think there was? Looks like it got checked out. All I can think of is water leaking in where the cracks are but I am not sure how much dmg that would cause.

Thanks for the help.
Scoot Scoot
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

RoaringTodd wrote:I love my RH - but once it hits hills, it's a slog to get up. I've heard a big bore kit will help with grunt, not speed. ( You maintain 45mph going up hill) but that YMMV. Denver is pretty mountainous, is it not?
Yeah I think eventually I would get the 70cc kit. That is actually why I am interested in the damaged $1,200 as I can upgrade with the kit which is quoted at about $600 at the local shop. That would put me in a speedier Buddy 50 with 1k in miles for 1k less then a new stock one.

Denver the city itself is not really that hilly. There are one ore two hills but once you are up them they stay flat for a long time. Going west into the mountains gets really hilly, as in, mountains lol.

I plan to mostly use this for around town. My commute is about 15 miles each way with a interstate being the most direct. I don't think I would enjoy even driving a motorcycle on interstate so getting a more powerful cycle wouldn't change my habits. I could take a 50cc on roads to get there but I haven't tried. If it was doable I might do it as often as it is nice.

I drive a Jeep as my car.

Thanks for the help!
Scoot Scoot
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Man, I cannot recommend a 50cc for a 15 mile commute in Denver. The roads there are fast and the drivers are faster just like KC (Broncos suck! :P ) For $1200, you can get a 125cc-150cc of many brands like SYM out of Taiwan or a Yamaha Vino with the same quality if price is your concern. The license is easy to get with all the practice tests online and having a year to pass the riding part.

Heck, I blew up my first 125cc because all of my commute is on 45mph streets and I was WOT the entire way back and forth for 2 seasons. This made me save and wait until I found something around 200cc that would keep up with normal traffic without stressing the engine. You really need to look at your planned route on the googles and consider if you want to do that every day slower than every other vehicle.
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

pcsguy88 wrote:Man, I cannot recommend a 50cc for a 15 mile commute in Denver. The roads there are fast and the drivers are faster just like KC (Broncos suck! :P ) For $1200, you can get a 125cc-150cc of many brands like SYM out of Taiwan or a Yamaha Vino with the same quality if price is your concern. The license is easy to get with all the practice tests online and having a year to pass the riding part.

Heck, I blew up my first 125cc because all of my commute is on 45mph streets and I was WOT the entire way back and forth for 2 seasons. This made me save and wait until I found something around 200cc that would keep up with normal traffic without stressing the engine. You really need to look at your planned route on the googles and consider if you want to do that every day slower than every other vehicle.
What is WOT? Gonna guess topping out the speed and stressing the engine?

Yeah I really don't care about the license, its more about the ability to park down at the rockies or up at a brewery and not have to worry about paying a meter or finding a spot.

All of my motorcycle and scooter experiences are generally at lower speeds so I don't think I would feel comfortable going 65mph on the highway or some of the higher speed roads. The roads for my commute would mostly be ones with a lot of stop lights. On the flip side I bike a lot and am comfortable being in traffic on 30-45mph roads.

I guess if I get a 50cc and I don't think it is enough I could just resell it?
Scoot Scoot
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ModestKarma wrote:I guess if I get a 50cc and I don't think it is enough I could just resell it?
That is a very good argument for buying used.
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

Dooglas wrote:
ModestKarma wrote:I guess if I get a 50cc and I don't think it is enough I could just resell it?
That is a very good argument for buying used.
True, the old lose value as soon as you roll it off the lot thing.
Scoot Scoot
KooK

Post by KooK »

I own a rh here in New Orleans. My commute is 6 miles through the French quarter. The speed limits on all my roads I travel is 35. I have no hills. My rh might,MIGHT reach 40 mph if it is opened up long enough. For my use the rh is great. I also bought a vino 125( great deal on it). But having that little extra ooomph, I can travel a lot safer on the faster roads. I don't think a 15 mile commute would be a good idea on a 50, if you hit a good headwind, it will slow you down considerably! But with that being said, I like riding my rh more than my vino.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Head wind was my biggest eye opener when I started scooting 3 summers ago. It never crossed my mind that riding into a 15-20mph wind would cut 10mph off of my speed. Just one of the many things you never have to consider inside a car.

ModestKarma,

I pretty much never ride on the highway unless it's just hoping the next exit down and that's only because my Blur will easily do 65mph (while my heart is doing 200 :shock:) . My 125cc Fiddle II would do 53mph on a long flat road and a windless day but reality is I was just doing the 45mph speed limit Wide Open Throttle the whole way. It's just the nature of being in midwest suburbs. If I lived in downtown KC, I'd buy a 50cc in a heartbeat to kick around with until it was stolen.
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

pcsguy88 wrote:Head wind was my biggest eye opener when I started scooting 3 summers ago. It never crossed my mind that riding into a 15-20mph wind would cut 10mph off of my speed. Just one of the many things you never have to consider inside a car.

ModestKarma,

I pretty much never ride on the highway unless it's just hoping the next exit down and that's only because my Blur will easily do 65mph (while my heart is doing 200 :shock:) . My 125cc Fiddle II would do 53mph on a long flat road and a windless day but reality is I was just doing the 45mph speed limit Wide Open Throttle the whole way. It's just the nature of being in midwest suburbs. If I lived in downtown KC, I'd buy a 50cc in a heartbeat to kick around with until it was stolen.
Yeah being an avid cyclist most of my life I know full well the change a headwind can make. I would much rather have a few huge hills than one constant headwind...it can be quite demoralizing.
Scoot Scoot
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

Will probably go for this one instead.

It doesn't hurt it too much for it to sit around a garage a lot as long as it is tuned back up which it sounds like it was. Looks brand new at 250miles.

http://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/6122121716.html

Thoughts?
Scoot Scoot
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

I just bought a 2013 with less than 20 miles on it, so yeah I have no reservations of them sitting indoors.

The white one is a way better deal and just finished being broke in, but black buddys certanly have an appeal to them.
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

pcsguy88 wrote:I just bought a 2013 with less than 20 miles on it, so yeah I have no reservations of them sitting indoors.

The white one is a way better deal and just finished being broke in, but black buddys certanly have an appeal to them.
how much did you pay for yours?

Thinking of offering the guy 1,550 cash tomorrow.
Scoot Scoot
Syd

Post by Syd »

pcsguy88 wrote:...
But the Fiddle II does not compare to a Buddy 125 (I know, I put 6k one one). I would expect a Buddy to handle a 15 mile / 45mph commute well.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

ModestKarma wrote:Will probably go for this one instead.

It doesn't hurt it too much for it to sit around a garage a lot as long as it is tuned back up which it sounds like it was. Looks brand new at 250miles.

Thoughts?
Why are you limiting yourself to a 50cc scooter? For the same price or even less, you could get a 125 or 150cc scoot. On your planned commute, with a 125 or 150 you should have no problem staying with the traffic flow. With a 50 you'll do fine at 35mph but after that it will be a struggle. Plus you'll be worn out at the finish. Not a good way to start the day. And forget the modifications. They're all trade-offs. If you gain in one area you'll lose in another. My advice? Think bigger. BTW, if you're thinking 50cc because you don't have to take the test for an MC endorsement, that's not good thinking. Take the 2 day Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and assuming you pass, you'll have a straight path to your endorsement. But more importantly, you'll learn some important stuff, break some bad habits and you'll feel good in doing so. Why am I telling you all this? Because I've been down the same road that you're on. Please don't make the same mistakes that I made. Think bigger. You'll be safer and you'll be saving money in the long run.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
skully93

Post by skully93 »

SOAPBOX ALERT

As a 6 year scooter veteran in Denver:

depends on what roads and time of day. Rush hour down speer? speed limit is 35, but they'll go 90 and murder you to get to that next red light 2 seconds ahead of you. They'll do it while texting, eating soup, and using a 3rd hand to tell you that you're #1 for riding in the slow lane at 10 over the speed limit.

I ride 4 miles to work. Speed limit is 30 the whole way. No one does under 40. Used to come from pretty much Coors field every day. It made me think dark, dark thoughts. My current bikes are a Buddy 150 and a motorcycle. The buddy will do an honest 55, but even then I spend most of my time moving out of the way or watching a giant logo in my mirrors.

Save the 50cc parking for every day commuting. If you want to park at Coors Field or go out drinking, take a lyft. Ask the 234243 bros that buy 50cc bikes at Sportique and then get nailed in their aviators 2 weeks later by bros in BMW's.

Sounds harsh, but to do it right you really need the right gear and the right attitude. Besides, the BroDo commuting life is only a few months per year. What will you do in the Winter? Will you winterize the scoot and store it right? Do you trust yourself not to have 10 $8 PBR's at the bro bar and drive without a helmet back down the streets with people in SUV's doing the same thing? (can you tell I'm bitter and wish the population went back to 2007 levels?).

The very reason so many of these pop up in Denver/Boulder is that people buy them new, ride them for a season, and either wreck or they don't start after some neglect. I've ridden with maybe 500 riders in CO. half never make it past their first season.

If you just want it for bar hopping, save yourself a lot of headache and use rides sharing. The math on money even works out. That's not including the cost of gear and maintenance.

If you want to use it for bar hopping from time to time but commute AND see the road less traveled, a scoot is right. The M license may not seem like much, but it will save your life in what is now a very dangerous urban jungle for riders.

I'm trying really hard not to sound like a grade A douchemissile, but I truly encourage you to look at the reasoning.

If you DO really want a 50 (and the Buddy 50 is a marvelous thing), get a M license anyway. It will save you on insurance, and you'll have a chance out there on the roads. At the right time of day, a Buddy 50 will go to some really cool areas, and you'll see CO like you've never seen it before, but the city can be a real pain if you're not ready.

Also, if you want I will totally meet you on Broadway for a beer, I promise I'm not always a loudmouth :P.
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

skipper20 wrote:
ModestKarma wrote:Will probably go for this one instead.

Thoughts?
Why are you limiting yourself to a 50cc scooter? For the same price or even less, you could get a 125 or 150cc scoot. On your planned commute, with a 125 or 150 you should have no problem staying with the traffic flow. With a 50 you'll do fine at 35mph but after that it will be a struggle. Plus you'll be worn out at the finish. Not a good way to start the day. And forget the modifications. They're all trade-offs. If you gain in one area you'll lose in another. My advice? Think bigger. BTW, if you're thinking 50cc because you don't have to take the test for an MC endorsement, that's not good thinking. Take the 2 day Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and assuming you pass, you'll have a straight path to your endorsement. But more importantly, you'll learn some important stuff, break some bad habits and you'll feel good in doing so. Why am I telling you all this? Because I've been down the same road that you're on. Please don't make the same mistakes that I made. Think bigger. You'll be safer and you'll be saving money in the long run.

Bill in Seattle
For the reasons I stated earlier. I wasn't looking into the scooter idea because of commuting. I might give it a try and if I like it I'll do it once and a while but it is mostly for around the city.

Again, getting the M license is not a problem for me, I might take it anyway, but it plays no factor in me getting a 50cc. I want the 50cc so I can park around town and go to a coffee shop or something quickly.

I do think it is a good idea to just keep it stock for a while. If I find it lacking or if I just want to tinker for fun I'll start modding.

Thank you for your input.
Scoot Scoot
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

skully93 wrote:SOAPBOX ALERT

As a 6 year scooter veteran in Denver:

depends on what roads and time of day. Rush hour down speer? speed limit is 35, but they'll go 90 and murder you to get to that next red light 2 seconds ahead of you. They'll do it while texting, eating soup, and using a 3rd hand to tell you that you're #1 for riding in the slow lane at 10 over the speed limit.

I ride 4 miles to work. Speed limit is 30 the whole way. No one does under 40. Used to come from pretty much Coors field every day. It made me think dark, dark thoughts. My current bikes are a Buddy 150 and a motorcycle. The buddy will do an honest 55, but even then I spend most of my time moving out of the way or watching a giant logo in my mirrors.

Save the 50cc parking for every day commuting. If you want to park at Coors Field or go out drinking, take a lyft. Ask the 234243 bros that buy 50cc bikes at Sportique and then get nailed in their aviators 2 weeks later by bros in BMW's.

Sounds harsh, but to do it right you really need the right gear and the right attitude. Besides, the BroDo commuting life is only a few months per year. What will you do in the Winter? Will you winterize the scoot and store it right? Do you trust yourself not to have 10 $8 PBR's at the bro bar and drive without a helmet back down the streets with people in SUV's doing the same thing? (can you tell I'm bitter and wish the population went back to 2007 levels?).

The very reason so many of these pop up in Denver/Boulder is that people buy them new, ride them for a season, and either wreck or they don't start after some neglect. I've ridden with maybe 500 riders in CO. half never make it past their first season.

If you just want it for bar hopping, save yourself a lot of headache and use rides sharing. The math on money even works out. That's not including the cost of gear and maintenance.

If you want to use it for bar hopping from time to time but commute AND see the road less traveled, a scoot is right. The M license may not seem like much, but it will save your life in what is now a very dangerous urban jungle for riders.

I'm trying really hard not to sound like a grade A douchemissile, but I truly encourage you to look at the reasoning.

If you DO really want a 50 (and the Buddy 50 is a marvelous thing), get a M license anyway. It will save you on insurance, and you'll have a chance out there on the roads. At the right time of day, a Buddy 50 will go to some really cool areas, and you'll see CO like you've never seen it before, but the city can be a real pain if you're not ready.

Also, if you want I will totally meet you on Broadway for a beer, I promise I'm not always a loudmouth :P.
Thanks for your reply.

First off I want I recognize your disdain for Bros and all the people that have moved to Denver. I moved here in 2010 and even I have seen the big difference. I would prefer to go back to 2010(mostly) but sadly it isn't going to happen.

I drink but I drink responsibly. Yes I would take my scooter to a cafe or bar but I would only have the one beer I would have anyway. Yes lyft and uber do work around here quite fine, but that isnt as fun, isnt as easy to shop with, and can be annoying.

I am not a bro so the bro season doesn't really apply to me. For health reasons I can't cycle around the city like I used to. When I could cycle I would cycle year around. I did my my 16 mile commute in sub freezing temps. Not trying to brag or show off, I am just saying weather is not a huge concern for me.

Additionally I feel very comfortable in traffic...not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I test drove a scooter down lincoln, broadway, and speer, and felt fine. I was a bike messenger for a few years and know my fair share of 'OMG people be crazy' stories.

Honestly in the end I will probably do a variety of commuting. Some days driving, some days train/bus, and perhaps some days scootering.

Yes I will join ya for a beer, I understand everyone comes off differently on the internet than what they are really like in real life. I have to get a scooter first! Still eyeballing the black 50cc.

If I fall in love hard with the 50cc and decide to give up my Wrangler, I will most deff get a 150cc or such.
Scoot Scoot
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ModestKarma wrote:
skully93 wrote:
Honestly in the end I will probably do a variety of commuting. Some days driving, some days train/bus, and perhaps some days scootering.

Yes I will join ya for a beer, I understand everyone comes off differently on the internet than what they are really like in real life. I have to get a scooter first! Still eyeballing the black 50cc.

If I fall in love hard with the 50cc and decide to give up my Wrangler, I will most deff get a 150cc or such.
OK, if it's a commuter....then that's the way to go. Parking in Denver has become ridiculous.

I have seen a couple of kitted 70cc's for sale for very reasonable prices too.

If/once you get a scoot, let me or DeeDee know. We do a lot of 50cc friendly rides.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I feel so old (I left Westminster in '97) What's the 234243 bros?
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

Syd wrote:I feel so old (I left Westminster in '97) What's the 234243 bros?
Yeah totally forgot I had the same question. lol

Googled it and came up short.
Scoot Scoot
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Syd wrote:
But the Fiddle II does not compare to a Buddy 125 (I know, I put 6k one one). I would expect a Buddy to handle a 15 mile / 45mph commute well.
The Fiddle II is a bloated cruiser (wonderful bike to learn on), but surely it is more capable than the 50cc Buddy's MK is shopping for. If a 50cc Buddy will do +45mph all day long up and down hills, then I need to go get one for the girlfriend since she'll never be bothered to go get a license and register a real one.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

pcsguy88 wrote:
Syd wrote:
The Fiddle II is a bloated cruiser (wonderful bike to learn on), but surely it is more capable than the 50cc Buddy's MK is shopping for. If a 50cc Buddy will do +45mph all day long up and down hills, then I need to go get one for the girlfriend since she'll never be bothered to go get a license and register a real one.
Syd was talking about the Buddy 125 series scooters, not the Buddy 50cc scooters, I believe. A well-maintained Buddy 125 should easily be able to do 55+ MPH all day long. Many of the folks on this forum seem to swear by them.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

cummingsjc wrote:Syd was talking about the Buddy 125 series scooters, not the Buddy 50cc scooters, I believe. A well-maintained Buddy 125 should easily be able to do 55+ MPH all day long. Many of the folks on this forum seem to swear by them.
I was just being an ass because the OP and I were talking about 50ccs. I know full well a 125 Buddy will run circles around my old Fiddle II. Now if a 50 will hold 45mph under normal conditions, then I'll have one in my garage as soon as I can find one.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

ModestKarma wrote:

I think, from the context, he mean two hundred thousand and change individuals who buy scooters then die/abandon the scoot life/wreck them each year.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
Syd

Post by Syd »

PhillyKick wrote:
ModestKarma wrote:

I think, from the context, he mean two hundred thousand and change individuals who buy scooters then die/abandon the scoot life/wreck them each year.
Hmm, maybe. Skully?
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6133356948.html

If I talk this guy down to $900 and get a Kymco does that mean I am no longer welcome in this forum :/
Scoot Scoot
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ModestKarma wrote:If I talk this guy down to $900 and get a Kymco does that mean I am no longer welcome in this forum
Kymcos are good scooters. And we are a pretty flexible bunch around here. :wink:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ModestKarma wrote:https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6133356948.html

If I talk this guy down to $900 and get a Kymco does that mean I am no longer welcome in this forum :/
You would still be very welcome here. :D I am, I think, the world's biggest fan of the Kymco People 150, which is the big bro of the scooter you are looking at. I was so sorry when they discontinued that version of the People line. :cry:

Please start another thread when you get the scoot and post up pix and riding impressions.
ModestKarma

Post by ModestKarma »

Jeez do scooters hold Thier value forever? Keep looking at scooters online and people want$ 1,200-$1,600 for 2002 to 2007 Kymco People 50cc. That's almost a ten year old scooter! If they retailed at $2,600 it hasn't even depreciated half of it's value in ten years!
Scoot Scoot
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

ModestKarma wrote:Jeez do scooters hold Thier value forever? Keep looking at scooters online and people want$ 1,200-$1,600 for 2002 to 2007 Kymco People 50cc. That's almost a ten year old scooter! If they retailed at $2,600 it hasn't even depreciated half of it's value in ten years!
While they may be asking $1200 - $1600, the only thing meaningful is what they're actually getting.

Bill in Seattle