front brake problem - help!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mkassel

front brake problem - help!

Post by mkassel »

Well, everything was fine with my 2005 Stella 2T, front brake fluid was low so I added and it started working well. I took some nice long rides on it and the brake just got better and better, stronger and stronger. Then, today, after I was riding for about ten minutes, it began to get a really bad knocking/wobbling/shaking - I was't sure where it was coming from, but as I continued it seemed to be the worst when I applied the front brake. At one point, I lost pretty much all brake pressure, but could pump a bit to get it back.

When I got home and spun the front wheel, it was like catching on something as I spun it. It seemed to catch pretty much all the time, but maybe it was a bit worse at one point - I hope the rotor is not warped, because I have no idea where you can even get one.

I am hoping it may be bad pads or maybe a stuck caliper - I was losing brake fluid (well, bike is new to me so i'm not sure how long it has been failing like that; it sat for about a year or more before I got it). I don't see any leaking at all, by the way.

What are your thoughts - what should I do to trouble shoot this. Is there an easy way to tell if the rotor is warped? I think I could do all the work on my own, but I just am not sure where to start. I saw a video with some guy using a piece of wood and a C-clamp to press the piston back into place, and it seemed to work and be real easy to do.

Thanks!