Problems with BP gas?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mukaiboston

Problems with BP gas?

Post by mukaiboston »

My check engine light has come on twice and I temporarily had some issues with fuel delivery where the scooter couldn't accelerate from a stop and died when I gave it gas. Each time this happened I had filled up at a BP station shortly before. The first time it happened, I reset the computer and things were fine. The second time, I just shut the engine off and started again and it was okay.

Normally, I go to Exxon or Shell, but twice I've been to BP because I heard they have the same additives as Exxon or Shell. Or do they? BP has something called Invigorate. I don't know what this does exactly, but maybe the sudden change in detergent is causing my scooter to get confused?

I will stop going to BP from now on to see if that fixes my issues. Incidentally, it has also rained both times I filled up at BP, although I have ridden in the rain a few times on Exxon gas and never had problems.

EDIT: Both these BP stations were different. One was in Arlington, Va. at Four Mile Run and the second was in Northwest DC on Connecticut Ave near the Maryland border.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

I just made a post regarding BP gas before I searched the forum. My Blur definitely runs worse in BP gas. Exxon seems to work much better.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Your description does not sound like "stale" gas or gas contaminated with water. Why do you think the problem would appear, then go away?
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I also doubt it's the gas. You've got something else going on there.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

My experiment.
One tank if BP, idle varied from 1500 to 2000. Bike was very vibrating at all RPMs. Ran it till Nealy dry.

One tank of Exxon. Idle at 1700 with slight jumps up to 1800. Very smooth at higher RPMs. Ran till nearly dry.

A different BP, same effect.

Rinse, wash, repeat, same effect.

Now on my second tank of Exxon and idle is stable.

You can say it is not the gas but my experiment is my proof. I have no explanation why, but it is happening.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I run no Ethanol gas in my scooter. Runs better and gets better gas mileage.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I really don't know. I ran that tank of BP gas down and filled up twice since then, once at Shell and once at Exxon.

All problems are gone. Scooter runs and accelerates great.

Until this mystery problem returns, I'm assuming BP gas is not good for my scooter. I will not be willing to repeat this with a third fillup so I guess we won't know for sure.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

HanShan, I'm rereading your post and, yes, I also had problems with high RPMs. I'm not sure about when riding, but I got stuck in very bad traffic when I was still on BP gas...It was stop and go and the scooter was vibrating so bad, I was really worried something was wrong with it.

I am now back on Shell and Exxon only and the RPMs have dropped back down to their low levels. Actually, the scooter runs so quietly now I thought something else was wrong but I think its all good.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

mukaiboston wrote:HanShan, I'm rereading your post and, yes, I also had problems with high RPMs. I'm not sure about when riding, but I got stuck in very bad traffic when I was still on BP gas...It was stop and go and the scooter was vibrating so bad, I was really worried something was wrong with it.

I am now back on Shell and Exxon only and the RPMs have dropped back down to their low levels. Actually, the scooter runs so quietly now I thought something else was wrong but I think its all good.
Yeah, really big change for me as well. When I had my feet on the floorboard it actually would tickle my feet! I miss the foot massage but loving the ride again.