How much is this Buddy worth?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Remous

How much is this Buddy worth?

Post by Remous »

My friend is looking at buying a 125 Buddy. Don't have much info on it except that it has 5,000 miles. Will post the year once I find that out. Seller is asking $800.
Attachments
buddy red.jpg
buddy red.jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
buddy red2.jpg
buddy red2.jpg (58.37 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Good deal I'd jump on it. but test ride it first and check for cracks in the rubber bits, ect.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I would want to know what's up with that two-tone red/black paint job? Has this bike been in an accident or dumped?
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
Remous

Post by Remous »

giddyup98 wrote:I would want to know what's up with that two-tone red/black paint job? Has this bike been in an accident or dumped?
I think they said they bought it damaged and fixed it up. Maybe it just needed new panels? My friend didn't give me too much info. If you look closely on the first picture it does look like there is a crack near the deadlights.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

If it wasn't previously damaged, I'd say it's a really good deal. However, since it has been damaged, personally, I'd pass on it. I paid $1K for my sea foam green Buddy 125 and it had less than 100 miles on it and absolutely no cosmetic damage. I'd look for a better kept and maintained Buddy, even if it is a few hundred dollars more.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
Remous

Post by Remous »

giddyup98 wrote:If it wasn't previously damaged, I'd say it's a really good deal. However, since it has been damaged, personally, I'd pass on it. I paid $1K for my sea foam green Buddy 125 and it had less than 100 miles on it and absolutely no cosmetic damage. I'd look for a better kept and maintained Buddy, even if it is a few hundred dollars more.
Wow you got a steal. I paid $1500 total for my 2009 seafoam buddy 125 (500 miles) and 2009 kymco super 8 150 (700 miles) Both garage kept and pristine condition.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

If it's in good running condition and doesn't need any repairs, I'd say $800 is a fine price. At least in my area, it's rare to see a Buddy 125 in good condition for less than $1,000.
Besides... It's a Buddy. You're buying it to ride and enjoy, not as an investment. A hundred dollars plus or minus really doesn't justify sitting around waiting for a better deal that may never come.

My $0.02,
-Slashy
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The whole question is whether it has suffered suspension or frame damage in a collision. If it hasn't and the engine is in good running order then it is a good buy. If it has, you don't want anything to do with it. If you don't know, or can't tell - walk away.
Remous

Post by Remous »

Dooglas wrote:The whole question is whether it has suffered suspension or frame damage in a collision. If it hasn't and the engine is in good running order then it is a good buy. If it has, you don't want anything to do with it. If you don't know, or can't tell - walk away.
Is there an easy way to tell if there is any damage to the frame or suspension?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Take it for a ride. Does it ride smoothly and straight? Look at the side and centre stand closely. Are they badly scraped or bent? Look at the brake levers, grip ends and headlight bezel. Are they damaged or bent? If it rides well, stops well and shows no physical signs of damage, I'd say You're good to go. Body panels crack fairly easy, and are easy to replace. Look closely at front and rear wheels. Any bad scraps or deformities? You can over think it all day long. At some point you either open your wallet or walk away.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Be cautious about one that sat for years unprepped for storage and now has sludge built up throughout the engine. Beware the ''low mileage but 10 years old'' syndrome. Been there, done that with a Met.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com