Cooler Running Engine for Summer, Maybe

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

New2Scoots

Cooler Running Engine for Summer, Maybe

Post by New2Scoots »

After doing my valve adjustment & changing my spark plug I was about to put that last panel back on. The one behind my feet. Then I thought, hey leave it off for summer. Get some air flow over the valve cover & shroud that covers the cylinder. Put it back on in October. Doesn't really look too bad actually. Summers here go from 105 to 112 typically. I haven't had a check engine light before but I don't stay full throttle very long in the summer.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

without knowing if any of the cylinder head or cylinder body is exposed outside the cooling shroud I cannot speak on your idea...

just a reminder...your 170 has a remotely mounted oil filter that sits next to an oil cooler on the bottom of the scoot; you already have a secondary cooling mechanism that works when the scoot is moving...you get ambient cooling with the cooler while parked or idling in traffic; it's more than we get out of the 125's or 150's...

there are testimonials from people who claim cooler running machines when they put high quality full synthetic oils in their scoots, motorcycles, and trikes...not endorsing or denouncing it
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

There are rubber/plastic items in the engine bay that may thank you for allowing more air in the area. However, expect more dirt in the area as well.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

kmrcstintn wrote:just a reminder...your 170 has a remotely mounted oil filter that sits next to an oil cooler on the bottom of the scoot; you already have a secondary cooling mechanism that works when the scoot is moving...you get ambient cooling with the cooler while parked or idling in traffic; it's more than we get out of the 125's or 150's...
Except that there is a reason that the oil cooler was added to the 170i and not to the 125. The 170i has a tendency to overheat that is not experienced with the 125. Or to say it a different way - the 170i needs an oil cooler.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

Dooglas wrote:
kmrcstintn wrote:just a reminder...your 170 has a remotely mounted oil filter that sits next to an oil cooler on the bottom of the scoot; you already have a secondary cooling mechanism that works when the scoot is moving...you get ambient cooling with the cooler while parked or idling in traffic; it's more than we get out of the 125's or 150's...
Except that there is a reason that the oil cooler was added to the 170i and not to the 125. The 170i has a tendency to overheat that is not experienced with the 125. Or to say it a different way - the 170i needs an oil cooler.
now I'm curious what changes were made for the 170 engine in the hooligan to make it run cooler & cleaner...was told it has neither oil filter nor oil cooler
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?