help...scooter "buggin down"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lemonbuddy

help...scooter "buggin down"

Post by lemonbuddy »

hi everyone

new to the forum. Looking for some help. In louisville KY, and can't find a scooter shop to repair my buddy. Brought it to a small engine repair guy last week, as buddy losing power even with full throttle. Have to keep revving or it slows down, potential to cut out. The guy cleaned carburetor, and changed spark plugs. Charged me 120 bucks, and this week the same thing is happening???

i LOVE my buddy 50 and can't be without it!! hello... gentle scooter addiction.

Anyway... if anyone has any help or ideas??
24924 on the clock

thanks a million
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Have you changed the air filter recently?
lemonbuddy

Post by lemonbuddy »

air filter... no i don't think that has been done. Could bring it back to the guy and ask him to do it...

thanks so much for responding
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

It's very easy to check your air filter. Simply remove the screws that hold the cover on. Remove the cover and take the filter out and look at it. If it's dirty, people sometimes use compressed air to blow the dirt out. Do not run the scooter with the air filter out. The air filter can go for many thousands of miles without being replaced, unless you are riding dusty roads day in and day out. It is easy to check.

If you are unsure where the air filter is located, look at the manual.
On Modern Buddy there is a section with FAQ and guides, where you'll find a manual and parts diagrams for the Buddy 50. These are helpful to get acquainted with your scooter. It will show you a diagram of your air filter, including how many screws hold the cover on, etc.
I doubt the problem is the filter, but it's a good idea to check it's condition. It may also be a dirty fuel filter, though that too is usually not the problem. Still, find it and see if it looks dirty. There are some very good scooter mechanics on this site that can help you narrow things down.