Stella 2T Oil Sight Glass (gauge) keeps breaking?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Clipper

Stella 2T Oil Sight Glass (gauge) keeps breaking?

Post by Clipper »

I've ridden my 2005 Stella for years with no issues. One day I noticed my sight glass had broken. I thought maybe I'd kicked with the heel of my boot or something.

It was easily replaced. Then it broke again just a few weeks later. Replaced that one. And again! I'm losing my mind and now I know I'm not kicking the glass with heel. I ride in the city and hit potholes every now and again.

I'm wondering if the tank isn't lined up correctly or if it's too low or too high and a pothole puts enough stress on it to break it?

How do I check the proper tank orientation? Or is it something else?

It's driving me nuts.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

I found a custom aluminum unbreakable sight glass from 2nd Ave. Scooters for $49. I had a super fast response from them. It should arrive tomorrow. I'd still like to know why it was happening. Maybe the replacements were junk?

http://2ndavenuescooters.com/?p=6818

Image[/img]
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

New sight glass installed. It's pretty sweet.
Attachments
IMG_1828.JPG
IMG_1828.JPG (162.08 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Yeah it does look pretty sweet, it's the first time I've ever seen one of those. I don't know if I would have spent the 50 bones for it though but I am a cheap bastard
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

jimmbomb wrote:Yeah it does look pretty sweet, it's the first time I've ever seen one of those. I don't know if I would have spent the 50 bones for it though but I am a cheap bastard
I'm a cheap bastard too. I went through four plastic ones since May. At $16 with shipping it was getting out of hand.

Maybe I stepped on the original? I'm 6'4". I it replaced and the next one broke a week later. Then two more. My commute isn't long, it's about four miles, but there are some potholes and I can drive with, let's call it 'enthusiasm.'

My current theory is that I may have misaligned the oil tank installing the second one, putting pressure on the sight glass and going over a pothole caused it to crack.

That or someone has been sneaking into my garage at night.

If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears.