Buddy 150 idles, sputters and dies on throttle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dingobitme

Buddy 150 idles, sputters and dies on throttle

Post by Dingobitme »

I have read through most of the forum with similar keywords. Pretty handy with other bikes but this is my first time working on the buddy.

I have a 2010 that sat for 3 years. Ran fine before.

Didn't even try to start it. Pulled carb, cleaned everything, washed tank with fresh gas and cleaned all fuel lines. Replaced fuel filter and plug. Air filter is clean.

Started easily, idles smoothly. When I crack the throttle, it sputters and dies. Pulled plug and it looks like incomplete combustion (dark carbon deposits in plug). If I pump the throttle fast once and back down (on the accelerator pump) it will spin up fast and come back to idle. If I SLOWLY crack the throttle, it gets rough, smokes slightly and then dies.

Any thoughts? I am not used to the main jet needle and the slide valve driven by vacuum... my other bikes have a direct link between the needle and the throttle. Seems like either lack of air or ignition issues at higher revs.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Sounds like a blocked main jet. Did you pull the main jet and ensure it was clear?
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
Dingobitme

Post by Dingobitme »

I did. Completely clear. I would think the same except that I get a dark puff on the exhaust when I crack the throttle. Seems way too rich. Idle is perfect.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Is there a chance the float is set too high? I had quite a bit of sputtering and missing upon throttling and had to lower the float.
Does Genuine still make the 150?
Dingobitme

Post by Dingobitme »

interesting.... Ill take a look at that. I think they stopped a few years back... I love this thing. Hauls a$$... at least it did before I let it sit for 3 years...