Dropped bike then fell, question about part replacement

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

harmony101017

Dropped bike then fell, question about part replacement

Post by harmony101017 »

Ok, so today I had my scooter on the side stand about to ride it, I stepped away and it fell over. Later when I was riding I hit some gravel and learned something about gravel, gravel is my new enemy.

Two questions, I didn't realize it but in the first tip over the left brake handle cracked. See picture. It looks like there are screws and I could possibly replace it. Does that seem reasonable to do on my own as a newbie? I have mechanically handy people in my family too if needed. Just want to know if I have to take it to a shop for that. Also where is a good place to order Genuine Buddy parts online?

Second question, when I fell on the gravel I hit my chin bar on the ground. I was pretty much stopped and just fell over, fell forward a bit, and smacked the chin bar on the ground. I'm not injured, though I might have a bruise on my leg later where my knee hit. There are two teeny spots on the helmet chin bar with a mark from where it hit the ground. Do I now have to replace the helmet? I am assuming yes but sheesh, I just bought it! Ugh!

Thanks to this and other things that happened, this has not been my day!
Attachments
brake handle.jpg
brake handle.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

That brake lever is fairly easy to replace. You have to seperate the headset cover to gain access. Then remove the bolt holding the lever, work the brake cable out of the lever. Reverse to put back together.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Have you done the MSF or comparable basic safety/skills course? Seems like you are having more than your share of problems.
harmony101017

Post by harmony101017 »

Dooglas wrote:Have you done the MSF or comparable basic safety/skills course? Seems like you are having more than your share of problems.
I'm taking it now.

The scooter fell over I think because it was on a slight decline facing forward and I didn't realize it could roll forward on the side stand like that. I only stepped away for a minute and it seemed stable when I set it where it was. But lesson learned.

I saw the gravel on the road before I got to it, slowed almost to a stop, tried to turn (right turn from one roadway trying to go to the next) and bam it was like standing on ice on tennis shoes. I have read and watched videos about all things that can cause hazards on the road but that was my first real life experience meeting gravel on two wheels. Now I know.

Any thoughts on the helmet? It seemed like the impact was the equivalent of dropping it. Is it a loss?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

IMO, your helmet should be just fine.
A new brake lever can be ordered from several online sources, including scooterloungeonline and af1. Replacing it is easy as Dooglas said.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Take it to Philadelphia Scooters. Sean C. will have it fixed up and running for you in no time. Having it done right and quickly imo is worth it. Their labor cost isn't that much.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Also watch out for railroad crossings (the metal tracks), oil in the center of a lane, and painted road markings. They're slick as snot when wet. Also any newly sprayed oil on chip and seal road work. It can be very slick when wet or on a hot day when dry.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

k1dude wrote:Also watch out for railroad crossings (the metal tracks), oil in the center of a lane, and painted road markings. They're slick as snot when wet. Also any newly sprayed oil on chip and seal road work. It can be very slick when wet or on a hot day when dry.
Nearly every road in philly has old trolley lines embedded into it. Plus, you get the added benefit of tramlining, even in the dry!

It's fun riding here.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

The left brake lever is the easy one to change, and there's very little you can do to screw it up. DIY

The helmet should be OK, I wouldn't sweat it.

Read Proficient Motorcycling NOW.

Make it your habit to use the center stand, not the kick stand.

As for gravel being like ice, no... ice is like ice. I hit a clean, smooth sheet of ice once...[/list]
harmony101017

Post by harmony101017 »

Thank you, I ordered the book.

I had been using the center stand. I only used the side stand because I was about to ride and then realized I needed to grab something I had left in the garage really quick. I won't make that mistake twice, at least not with the scooter on a down slope in the driveway :)