Roughhouse Malossi Clutch Springs quick REVIEW

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Milo_R50

Roughhouse Malossi Clutch Springs quick REVIEW

Post by Milo_R50 »

Allright, just wanted to give a quick review on Malossi Clutch Springs for the Genuine Roughhouse.

Part number: Malossi 299605

NOTE: Scooter is completely stock, derestricted. With Dr.Pulley 6.5 gram ROUND roller weights. These springs may work differently for you ofcourse if you have different weighted rollers or sliders or have more mods done to your scoot. Keep that in mind.

These are for the original Clutch unit for the Roughhouse and come in a packet of 3 sets as seen here.

Again, clutch assembly is stock, so stock clutch springs is what these are replacing.
These ofcourse give you different stiffness for each color with red being the stiffest as seen below on the Malossi diagram.

I first swapped the stockers for the green. It grabbed slightly later as aspected for it being slightly stiffer than to stock ones. But I didn't like the launch. It was way smoother engagement than the stock springs, but the rpm's did not stay constant during acceleration. Clutch engaged, then RPMs ramped up and did not stay constant. Felt slightly sluggish as well. Almost felt like it was slipping. IMO the green ones are not better than stock.

Parked it, swapped the green ones for the blue ones. Again, as expected, clutch engages slightly higher in the rpm than green springs. Also much smoother initial engagement than stock. RPM's are almost constant during acceleration, which is what you ultimately want it to be like for quickest acceleration. I'm going to ride with these now. Much peppier on the launch.

I did not bother installing the RED (stiffest) springs, since these would only delay engagement more and cause me to fall outside the powerband during launch due to too much RPM. Too much RPM is also bad.

So that's it, all in all, a good purchase, gave me improved launch for sure.
Worth the $16.
I have yet to measure the actual rpm that the clutch grabs now, will update in the future with that info. If I remember correctly the stock spings made the clutch grab at ~3500rpm.

Oh and yeah, I HIGHLY recommend you getting some snap ring pliers if you want to tackle this job.I didn't even have to remove the big nut holding the contra spring to change the clutch springs. That's how easy it makes it. I got this tip from this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvyOCoWahs&t=176s

Wheelies are much easier now too since i'm in the powerband sooner as the clutch grabs. Before I had to wait a second or two for the RPM's to enter the powerband. Now it's wheels up from almost a standstill.
Have fun, be safe and Good luck!

RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thank you for posting this!
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

A $2.00 Harbor Freight handles the small springs as well:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-p ... 66836.html
Attachments
pickset.jpg
pickset.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Milo_R50

Post by Milo_R50 »

DeeDee wrote:A $2.00 Harbor Freight handles the small springs as well:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-p ... 66836.html
Yep, those will definitely work, but it will be more of a challenge when you are working with very tight/high tension springs.
You will need something to hold the clutch assembly in place while you pull on the springs with those hooks. Difficult if you're doing it by yourself unless you have something like a bench vise to hold the clutch in place while you pull. And the grips are not friendly/firm for pulling with much force. You will be putting alot of energy in doing so if you don't have the bench vise.
The pliers I referenced above make the job extremely easy especially for trial and error for finding correct springs.

Good luck!
Ruffhouse50sport

Post by Ruffhouse50sport »

nice picture by the way!!
did you notice a loss of top speed with the 6.5 rollers the the new clutch
springs or is it the same. my RH is completely and stock and im thinking of doing the same exact setup you have.
Milo_R50

Post by Milo_R50 »

Ruffhouse50sport wrote:nice picture by the way!!
did you notice a loss of top speed with the 6.5 rollers the the new clutch
springs or is it the same. my RH is completely and stock and im thinking of doing the same exact setup you have.
Nope, No drop in top speed at all with either of those two mods.