Michelin City Grips for Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

Michelin City Grips for Buddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Hello,
I've been perusing the web looking for the above tire to fit a 170i. I don't see an offering for the standard 3.50-10 tire for the 170i.
Has anyone found the right size in this tire or other Michelin tire that they would suggest?
Thanks! 8)
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Go with the Continental Zippy. It is an excellent tire (says a guy who runs City Grips on all his Vespas :wink: ).
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

Had my dealer install Zippys before I took delivery. Have been really happy with them. I don’t ride on the wet but on the dry that warm up quickly ang grip really well. I run 30 lbs in rear 26 lbs in front weigh 180# in gear. Those pressures give a good ride and really good handeling
NCY fork, NCY shock, NCY rotor, NCY super trans, Conty Zippy 1 tires,CRG bar end mirrors, Shortened rear fender, Gen-u-bin, Cheeky Seats cover
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I, too, looked for the City Grips in the Buddy size and did not find them. I went with the Continental Zippy. On painted areas by schools and some smooth road patch areas I can feel the tire slip a bit. I haven't put the Zippy through a good test as I don't want to fall.

You might consider the Michelin S1. I asked one scooter tire reviewer how the Zippy compares to the Michelin S1 and he said the S1 handles better but the Zippy last longer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY2KAadheiA

I hadn't thought about trying different inflation pressures. I just use the 30 lbs front and back that the sticker recommends. I weigh 125 so perhaps I could decrease the pressure.
KABarash

Re: Michelin City Grips for Buddy

Post by KABarash »

GregsBuddy wrote:Hello,
I've been perusing the web looking for the above tire to fit a 170i. I don't see an offering for the standard 3.50-10 tire for the 170i.
Has anyone found the right size in this tire or other Michelin tire that they would suggest?
Thanks! 8)
Christophers wrote:The 100/90-10’s are slightly bigger than the stock 3.50-10’s.
GregsBuddy wrote:I'm going to return to the OEM size (3.50-10)
English to metric conversions that is true, 100/90-10 is just the tiniest bit bigger, I was once informed there's really no difference. Saying that, my Buddy 150 came stock with the 100/90-10 not the 3.50-10 size...
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I'm on my second rear and initial front Zippy and like the tires a lot.
However, I'm a Michelin fan and I installed a pair of Michelin's on my daughter's Buddy and was instantly impressed with their smooth ride. I was unable to test them during assertive riding as they were new and there was no place to do so.
Now I'd like to have a set on my Buddy.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

GregsBuddy wrote:I'm on my second rear and initial front Zippy and like the tires a lot.
However, I'm a Michelin fan and I installed a pair of Michelin's on my daughter's Buddy and was instantly impressed with their smooth ride. I was unable to test them during assertive riding as they were new and there was no place to do so.
Now I'd like to have a set on my Buddy.
Which Michelins?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I'd prefer the City Grip.