what kind of jacket?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

justscooten

what kind of jacket?

Post by justscooten »

i know it would be a good idea to have a riding jacket thats armerd . BUT its GOT to be light and cool for summer riding i cant stand to be hot and it dos hit near 90 in the summer . no winter riding for me so what kind or make would be good. please give brand names this is going to be my early birthday gift. i have looked at the corazzo jackets and men the look hot and heavy . put you cant tell much from a website.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I agree about the Corazzo jackets. I love their style but their only mesh jacket, the Speedway, feels really heavy.

I bought a Fieldsheer High Flow mesh jacket in gray (available online for about $100) and so far it's great. The fit is nice and tight (there's adjustable arm and waist snaps/Velcro) to hold the back, shoulder, elbow, and forearm armor in place, and when I'm moving the air really moves right through it. The armor seems very complete and I have a much higher sense of protection when wearing it.

The mesh moves air so well that in temps much below 70 it's downright chilly. It comes with a removable wind breaker liner as well.

It does get a bit warm at stop lights but as soon as I move again it cools right off. I highly recommend it.
Last edited by jmazza on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liz C

Post by Liz C »

This weekend I bit the bullet and bought a Fieldsheer Lena. Kinda looks like a superhero with its big ol' shoulders and puffy arms, But I feel safe. Buyers remorse is all that velcro. It's so very grabby on everything. Reckon I'll get used to it. When it's a little warmer I'll take th liner out. Signing off, superfriends --SuperMotoGal
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Yeah so many jackets look like superhero racers. The high flow isn't too bad but I still wish it had more Corazzo style. But I do feel safe and I guess that's what it's about.

Wonder twin powers activate!!
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

I wear the Corazzo Speedway jacket with the mesh stripe across the chest and arms. I looked at some of Corazzo’s other jackets like the 5.0 but I thought that the 5.0 would be too hot in the summer. The Speedway jacket also has mesh vents in the back. Mine is a light grey color because I figured that of the color choices this was the best color to reflect/not absorb heat. I have not yet worn this jacket in the summer so I am not sure what it will be like in the summer heat and humidity.

My wife wears a Joe Rocket Cleo 2.0 jacket. This is a mesh jacket with a liner for cooler days but for hot days you can remove the liner and the entire front and back torso area is a mesh material that allows air to flow right through. Her jacket is pink, a nice light color for summer.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

hcstrider wrote:I wear the Corazzo Speedway jacket with the mesh stripe across the chest and arms. I looked at some of Corazzo’s other jackets like the 5.0 but I thought that the 5.0 would be too hot in the summer. The Speedway jacket also has mesh vents in the back. Mine is a light grey color because I figured that of the color choices this was the best color to reflect/not absorb heat. I have not yet worn this jacket in the summer so I am not sure what it will be like in the summer heat and humidity.
Hey- how much air moves through that Speedway?? I know the mesh is well placed to get air through but the one I tried on felt like the rest of the jacket would be an oven down here in this heat. The grey is the color I was interested in too, but my dealer only has the other two.

Keep us posted on how it feels in the summer... I'd go buy one in a second if it was cool enough!!
Christy

my summer jacket...

Post by Christy »

I have a fully mesh textile - with armor - summer jacket by Power Trip. It's the San Jose and it's really breezy and cool. Even with the armor, i've never sweated in it...i'm in TX (summers = 100 often)

This one looks like the men's equivalent...
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Check out NewEnough.com on the web. They usually have armored mesh jackets on sale...
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i have the fieldsheer motomorph and i think it is the greatest jacket ever, it has three layers, the base layer is a mesh jacket which is fairly light. but you can put the liner in when it gets a little cool, the you can put a cover on the outside for cold and wet conditions. it is a three season jacket that i will use for all four seasons. it was affordable to i want to say about 100 dollars but it was a gift.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I have a black Corrazo 5.0 and wear it in the summer in Cincinnati. If it is in the 90's then it can be hot, especially at stop lights. While you are moving it's not too bad. They jackets do seem really heave but the weave is coarse and wind blows right through it. In the mid 80's I have no problem with it.
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

This has been an awesome thread for me. I found the power trip san jose on sale at newenough (great price) and just ordered one. that's one more thing to cross off my list. :)
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I definitely need a great jacket for hot weather. Anymore suggestions? Hopefully I can find one that doesn't have me looking like a "power ranger" (that was way too funny twharton).
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Vanson Vent Max 3. I found one on sale for half price at an end of year sale last summer and it's amazing. Unfortunately, mine's black but lighter colors are now available.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_p ... ts/vx3.htm

Any armored jacked is going to give you the broad shouldered look. Hey, it's armor! Vanson has been around forever and their products have withstood the test of time. Their styling is also simple and not overblown. Vanson leathers will last a lifetime, I expect this textile jacket to be my last mesh jacket.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I know I'll be wanting a good, armored mesh jacket this summer, especially after spending the winter and spring feeling better protected than ever in my Corazzo Max. The Max is fairly well vented, but unfortunately wearing a backpack (as I do to work most days) restricts air through the underarm vents and in the chest area. (Confession: When I got too hot in my previous textile jacket, I'd just stash it under my seat. I try to be good... honest!)

I'll definitely be checking out the Speedway; I do fear it may be a little too heavy. At the same time, my concern with full-mesh jackets is that, while armored, they don't provide adequate protection in a slide. I recall reading at least one report of a mesh jacket shredding in a slide. A "hybrid" model may be the best choice for me.

[Aside: That's the official Vanson website? Wow. That's really bad.]
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

eric- what are the high temps in which you have worn the Max? I got mine in the fall and love it. I rode yesterday in the damp 30's with a golf windbreaker pullover underneath and my torso was still warm. I think I have only gone as high as about 70 degrees though. I am wondering how it will hold up in higher temps. I cannot stand being hot, so I have not been doing a good job in the summer of wearing a jacket. I want to try and do better.
Da'Gnome

Post by Da'Gnome »

My problem is finding one that fits me, I've try a 4x and it still didn't fit thru the chest & arms....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:eric- what are the high temps in which you have worn the Max? I got mine in the fall and love it. I rode yesterday in the damp 30's with a golf windbreaker pullover underneath and my torso was still warm. I think I have only gone as high as about 70 degrees though. I am wondering how it will hold up in higher temps. I cannot stand being hot, so I have not been doing a good job in the summer of wearing a jacket. I want to try and do better.
So far, I've worn it in temps as hot as the low 80s. Like a lot of jackets, it did okay while moving, but when stopped (especially in the full sun) it started to get a little toasty. I dislike being hot, too, and it wasn't too bad for me. But once we start having temps in the mid'80s and higher and I'm doing longer rides, I'm not sure that will still be the case.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

[Aside: That's the official Vanson website? Wow. That's really bad.]
I was thinking that too. It's so '90's, I don't think they've ever changed it. Not only is the design hideous, the organization is awful. Getting any sort of information takes way more clicks than it should. Websites should change, and often.

Conversely, it's good that their clothing design and construction is old school. If you want mesh that holds up, go with a time tested company like Vanson, REV IT, or Dainese. Mesh won't protect like leather but my Vanson has leather reinforcements and a great armor package, including standard back armor. The good moto gear companies have a history of racing R&D (racers who crash and then jump up and walk away) that other companies cannot match. As much as I like the look of some brands, I'm not buying gear for looks.

I've worn my Vent Max in 100+ temps and it's the closest thing I've found to wearing no jacket at all. If it's not too hot I'll always prefer leather but once we get into July and August, the leather's on the hanger and the Vent Max is my most worn item of clothing. It's fantastic.

Wow, 600 and counting. And precious few "+1" and out posts.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I just bought one of these:

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh ... acket.html

I got mine in white for both maximum visibility and maximum cooling factor. Goes well with my white helmet too ;-)

In the flesh, it looks like a bike jacket but not in an obnoxious way. You don't look like a linebacker or a Power Ranger. But the upshot is very very nice turtle-shell CE armor, a much bigger back pad than anything I've seen in a Corazzo (although I have and like my bomber jacket), and a zip-out waterproof liner that does a good job of keeping you from getting cold in cooler temps. The outer jacket itself is all mesh, so the air just flows right through. But the best part is all of the adjustments. It's very easy to adjust it to a perfect fit. My favorite detail is how the armor is placed so that it's most comfortable when your arms are out in riding position. It's on closeout right now just in time for summer.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I have a fully mesh textile - with armor - summer jacket by Power Trip. It's the San Jose and it's really breezy and cool. Even with the armor, i've never sweated in it...i'm in TX (summers = 100 often)
What color did you end up with? It looks like black is the basic and I equate that with cooking in the summer!

I'm looking for something under $100. This is a great thread! There really should be a "gear" topic that stays up as a sticky!

Justscooten, what does the back of the fieldsheer jacket look like? I'm not into huge letters and obnoxious stuff.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

what do the numbers before the D signify? example: "1680D ballistic overlay". i've seen these in the descriptions for riding jackets, in all sorts of numbers...is it that the higher the number the higher/denser the protection?

i'm thinking about going with one of the fieldsheer jackets myself. they're very good looking, and sound very protective.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

madtolive wrote:
i'm thinking about going with one of the fieldsheer jackets myself. they're very good looking, and sound very protective.

The thing I like about my Fieldsheer (and other brands may have this too- looks like that Joe Rocket above does, but not all do) is the adjustments on the sleeves. There are snaps to tighten the sleeves up so they don't roll in a slide. One of the most important functions of a mesh jacket is just keeping the armor in place. If the sleeves are too loose the elbow armor will slide right around and not help you in a crash. Keep that in mind when you look around.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

jmazza wrote:

If the sleeves are too loose the elbow armor will slide right around and not help you in a crash. Keep that in mind when you look around.
this hadn't occurred to me. thanks for pointing it out!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I like the carazzo "the max" but I cant tell if extra small or regular small will fit, no dealers around me except for a vespa dealer 1.5 hours away, I dont really want to drive down that far just test fit a jacket.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

madtolive wrote:
jmazza wrote:

If the sleeves are too loose the elbow armor will slide right around and not help you in a crash. Keep that in mind when you look around.
this hadn't occurred to me. thanks for pointing it out!
yeah I hadn't thought of it either until I got my jacket. I didn't used to snap the arms that tight but now I put them about as tight as they will go comfortably!

I read on Modernvespa about how really the mesh itself won't do much for you because the heat generated in a slide will obviously go right through the mesh, but it can hold your armor in place. It's all a trade off I guess.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jfrost2 wrote:I like the carazzo "the max" but I cant tell if extra small or regular small will fit, no dealers around me except for a vespa dealer 1.5 hours away, I dont really want to drive down that far just test fit a jacket.
Give them a call- I always read about how helpful they are on the phone. I think I even read somewhere that they sent a guy two jackets in different sizes and just told him to send back the one that didn't fit.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dont think they'd send me 2 jackets, but I might go down there. When I go back to metro scooter in the next few weeks, there is a vespa dealer down there too, I can see what jackets they carry.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jfrost2 wrote:I dont think they'd send me 2 jackets, but I might go down there. When I go back to metro scooter in the next few weeks, there is a vespa dealer down there too, I can see what jackets they carry.
maybe not but they can probably get you to do some measurements and tell you exactly what size you'd need.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think corazzo sells on ebay also, they have the same price, and the username is the company name, they had sizing charts, maybe I need to get my tape measure out and measure my chest, waist, and shoulders.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jfrost2 wrote:I think corazzo sells on ebay also, they have the same price, and the username is the company name, they had sizing charts, maybe I need to get my tape measure out and measure my chest, waist, and shoulders.
They sell some overstock on there occasionally, but it's not a frequent thing.

Corazzo will happily exchange a jacket for fit or work with you to get proper measurements to find one that fits well. From past owner reports, their customer service has proven quite good.
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

I am now on the search for a decent jacket for scooting in. This thread has been very helpful, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on this:

Nitro Mens Mesh Jacket

It is one of the jackets my dealer carries and it seems to be good. I would love to get a nice Corazzo Speedway but I just don't have that kind of money ($230). I am looking for something a little more in my price range (under $100).

I also like the Fieldsheer High Flow Mesh Jacket

I want something that will protect me sufficiently in the event of a crash, and be at least tolerable in 100+ degree weather (it gets very hot here in the summer. VERY hot).
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

I had Fieldsheer when I rode a yamaha YZF600R and it was some good stuff. I just bought the Corazzo 5.0 and am surprised it is not as hot as it looks. It has zipper vent everywhere and has some great reflective striping for nighttime. Styling is also great.
Founder of www.LOSTKJs.com ... Jeep Liberty Forum

Lambretta UNO 150cc 4 Stroke...Hope I can still hang around here!

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

I bought a Stella T-Dynamo Jacket by AlpineStars, It is white and Light blue- so It matches my scooter, So far I have found it to be quite nice, the lighter colors keep me cool and shaded in the day time, and it isn't mesh so I can be a bit warmer at night (plus Very Visible) But It fits like a corset- the sizes were kinda small, so i got a Large (the biggest size)and it doubles as a sports bra :lol: Is it me, or are finding women's jackes to fit boobs impossible? I tried some on meant for Amazon women with childbearing hips, but no room for the ladies :( Perhaps I will continue this quest for a jacket mean for boobs- I think I will need a mesh jacket when it gets 115* :cry:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

trevo_man wrote:
I also like the Fieldsheer High Flow Mesh Jacket
Still loving my High Flow. It's a great jacket and that's a great price.

We haven't gotten into the super dog days of summer here yet (strange "cold snaps" of temps in the high 70's lately) but even on the days that have hit 90 with humidity of the same, the High Flow still moves enough air to be cool.

It's strange, but I've heard others say it here too- I almost feel cooler when I'm moving in the jacket than not. Something about the way the air moves through the jacket. It's also more comfortable in a lot of ways than no jacket. With a collared shirt, everything flaps around (collar, shirt tails, etc) and it's kind of annoying but with the jacket on it's much more aerodynamic.

Oh I also took a seam ripper and removed most of the branding on the jacket- specifically the huge "FIELDSHEER" written across the back- it looks a lot better now.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I bought a Fieldsheer High Flow mesh jacket in gray (available online for about $100) and so far it's great. The fit is nice and tight (there's adjustable arm and waist snaps/Velcro) to hold the back, shoulder, elbow, and forearm armor in place, and when I'm moving the air really moves right through it. The armor seems very complete and I have a much higher sense of protection when wearing it.
I bought it in blue and I think it's a great jacket. Very light and cool but well armored. It hasn't got up into the 90s and 100s yet so we'll see how it does then but I expect it will do well based on everything so far.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

jfrost2 wrote:I like the carazzo "the max" but I cant tell if extra small or regular small will fit, no dealers around me except for a vespa dealer 1.5 hours away, I dont really want to drive down that far just test fit a jacket.
I am pretty sure that Metro scooter is now a Corazo dealer. I saw a few in the show room last weekend. I think you said were headed that way soon.
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

I see alot of you have the Fieldsheer High Flow Mesh Jacket. Does it fit a little small? I am 5 8" and about 165 pounds. I normally wear a medium. From the reviews on their website it seems that many people about my size say a medium fits very "snug." One guy got a large and says the size is "just about right."
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

trevo_man wrote:I see alot of you have the Fieldsheer High Flow Mesh Jacket. Does it fit a little small? I am 5 8" and about 165 pounds. I normally wear a medium. From the reviews on their website it seems that many people about my size say a medium fits very "snug." One guy got a large and says the size is "just about right."
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm 5' 7" and 195. I'm afraid the large might be a little tight. Does anybody have/use the liner?
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

I love my Olympia Airglide Mesh jacket. Strong, durable, very well made, great fit, adjustable straps on the sleeves, warm liner, the mesh flows well in the heat. It can be found at reasonable discounts, search around online.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

trevo_man wrote:I see alot of you have the Fieldsheer High Flow Mesh Jacket. Does it fit a little small? I am 5 8" and about 165 pounds. I normally wear a medium. From the reviews on their website it seems that many people about my size say a medium fits very "snug." One guy got a large and says the size is "just about right."
Hey I'm just about the exact same size-

I have a medium and it fits great- it is "snug" but in the way it needs to be. It's not tight. I hadn't really thought about it and was trying larger sizes (like I'd wear in a normal jacket) until the guy at the shop reminded me that it needs to be snug to hold the armor in place.

It's really a pretty comfortable fit.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

toddrw2251 wrote:I have a black Corrazo 5.0 and wear it in the summer in Cincinnati. If it is in the 90's then it can be hot, especially at stop lights. While you are moving it's not too bad. They jackets do seem really heave but the weave is coarse and wind blows right through it. In the mid 80's I have no problem with it.
Ditto that. I wear my 5.0 year round here in Fort Wayne. If you open the vents it's not bad when moving. And it holds up well when sliding on asphalt at 30 mph. :shock:
charltons

Post by charltons »

Does anybody have any experience with the Frank Thomas brand? I just bought a lightweight textile jacket w/ armor.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

Awesome I just ordered the Gunmetal Fieldsheer Mesh Jacket. I'll let you guys know how it holds up in the ungodly heat.
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

I just went to Euro Sport here in Fort Worth & got a Vanson VX3S. I was wanting the gray w/ black stripe in large but they were out. They called Vanson while I was there & they will be out until June. :shock: $175+tax & no shipping. 8)

I liked these because the back armor is included with the jacket. Some other brands had it as an extra.

I walked outside for about 5 min w/ the black on. It was warm but not unbearable in the sun, 80 today here. They have a solid black, Black/Gray stripe, Gray w/ black stripe, solid Gray, & some custom Black w/ Red Stripe (it looked good). Very knowledgeable & friendly staff, Martha is a great sales woman.
maribell

Post by maribell »

So all of the talk about gear and how important it is to be wearing it has encouraged me to stop being a miser and get some for myself (Full face helmet is still in the mail).

I just got a FirstGrear Women's Contour Mesh jacket in white. It's a tight squeeze in the chest area, but I imagine it helps hold everything in place (as confirmed by other users in this thread). It has a removable liner and a bunch of pockets. I've yet to road test it but that will happen in the next 45 minutes.

I still haven't ridden my scoot at full throttle :shock: maybe it will happen soon...
Rhodyterri

Post by Rhodyterri »

I'm new to all of this but I got aFirst Gear Mesh Tex Pull Over jacket from Motorcycle Closeouts. It was listed in the Hot deals section under Rusty's favorites. For 40 bucks it can't be beat! The weather here in Rhode Island is in the 70's and will only get hotter and more humid as we ride into summer. I know I need the protection, but like everyone else I hate being hot. On the other hand, covered in road rash is no way to spend the summer either!

By the way, if you should wear your mesh jacket, and ride your scooter to your Mother's for lunch, don't take the jacket off and throw it over the seat. The arm MIGHT hit the muffler and it will DEFINITELY MELT!!!

Peace -
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

I've never bought gear for a scooter before so bear with me..

Understandably the jackets I see are well over $100 due to the fact that they could save your life.. is there anything I can purchse for the summer that would have the same affect for less money? Then I can buy for the winter when it comes (ugh)

Also I'm a pretty tall gal (almost 6ft) and no offense I dont want to be showing my followers skin. Will an average length jacket be ok?

Kinda on the subject: I want a vintage style 3/4 helmet.. they have some cute ones on ebay but they arent DOT approved. Any cool sites?
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

BTW it only snows on Tuesdays in my town so I plan on riding all year ;)

Ha I meant fall..
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here are a few sites to get you started on finding some less-expensive gear:

http://www.newenough.com
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/
http://www.sandhillspowersports.com (a great source for helmets)

Definitely stay away from those non-DOT eBay helmets!

When shopping for a helmet, regardless of type or where you plan on buying it from, it's very important to try it on first. If you have to purchase online, be sure the retailer has a good exchange policy and that you won't get stuck with a lot of shipping charges or restocking fees. Also, as much as I love to shop online, it is sometimes better to call and ask questions.