CARB Spotting - 2018

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

CARB Spotting - 2018

Post by jrsjr »

Hey, this thread is for tracking the latest greatest CARB Certifications. There are a bunch today.

Alliance Powersports - Sym Wolf 150. But wait, there are three variations of this bike; Classic 150, SymWolf 150, Wolf Classic 150.

Lance - Cabo 125, Cali Classic 125, Havana Classic 125, Monaco 125, PCH 125, PCH Delivery 125, SOHO 125, Sym Fiddle II 125.

Lance - Cabo 200L, Cali Classic 200L, Havana Classic 200L, PCH 200L, Sym Fiddle III 200l.

Piaggio - (Vespa 946)Red 155

No mention of any Genuine products, sorry!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

How do you find this info? I work under the EPA/CARB and the EU and I have never seen this info. Then again, to me its a job and I just wait to see what scooter makes it to the USA. You are a detective!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

if there are no CARB certs for something, are they not importing anything at all, or just not anything new?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

sc00ter wrote:How do you find this info? I work under the EPA/CARB and the EU and I have never seen this info. Then again, to me its a job and I just wait to see what scooter makes it to the USA. You are a detective!
While searching (and having not a lot of luck) I accidentally stumbled on the page where they list the new certifications.

Here is the link - https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2018/2018.php

Two things to know about this page - 1) They update on Friday. 2) When they update, they put a little "New" flag on the new records. That helps a lot!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

skully93 wrote:if there are no CARB certs for something, are they not importing anything at all, or just not anything new?
As I understand it, they have to apply every year, however, this whole thing is an ongoing process throughout the year, so don't be discouraged if you don't see something in the list yet. That SRM bike that Syd found showed up in the 2017 list during the last week of 2017. Go figure!

There is also a US EPA certification list, but they don't update promptly at all. I suspect they do it as a batch on a schedule. They have not updated since October.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Troubling; there's no HD200 listed for '18. I hope that means they will continue to sell the '16 model. It'd be a shame if they quit importing the HD. tt's a great scoot, but not the best seller in Alliance's lineup.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Ha! I opened my BIG MOUTH and said they update the CARB list on Fridays so they updated it on Wednesday. Take that, CARBwatching-Know-It-All!

So the latest addition is from our friends at Zhejiang Qianjaing Motorcycle Company. Name not all that terribly familiar? Zhejiang Qianjaing Motorcycle are your friendly, neighborhood Benelli manufacturer, makers of the Caffenero 150, Zafferano 250, TNT 300, and TNT 600.

That's all! Oh yeah, this is a scooter site, so I'll say that the Caffenero is a nice-looking scooter that makes a claimed 12.9 HP. Vroom! Vroom!
Attachments
Benelli Caffenero 150
Benelli Caffenero 150
Benelli 150 2017.jpg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:Ha! I opened my BIG MOUTH and said they update the CARB list on Fridays so they updated it on Wednesday. Take that, Carbwatching-Know-It-All!

So the latest addition is from our friends at Zhejiang Qianjaing Motorcycle Company. Name not all that terribly familiar? Zhejiang Qianjaing Motorcycle are your friendly, neighborhood Benelli manufacturer, makers of the Caffenero 150, Zafferano 250, TNT 300, and TNT 600.

That's all! Oh yeah, this is a scooter site, so I'll say that the Caffenero is a nice-looking scooter that makes a claimed 12.9 HP. Vroom! Vroom!
That looks a little like a People clone.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

And since I said they tend to update on Fridays, now they update on Tuesdays, too. Ha!

So what's new on the CARB Executive Orders list?

There are some big bikes new to the list. I'm not ignoring them, but this is a scooter site so I'm sticking to scooters and small(er) motorcycles. The newbies which fit that description are as follow:

The Honda CRF205 family:
HONDA CRF250L 250 230 M6 SFI , PAIR, H02S, JHNXU0013UYA TWC
HONDA CRF250 LA 250 230 · M6 SFI , PAIR, H02S, JHNXU0013UYA TWC
HONDA CRF250RALLY

The Tao Tao Hellcat 125 (which looks like a Grom knockoff) You can't blame them for doing that because those bikes are about the only thing selling.

And that's it for today. No scooters. Sorry.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kymco - Like 150 made the list on February 1st

The Like 150 apparently is a 150 whereas the Like 200 is a 163 but the 150 I read about has ABS brakes and more upswept appearance to the rear bodywork so that it looks less like a Vepsa.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Not much to report this week. S&S (Harley clone motor mfg) got their gigantic v-twin motors certified. As a matter of interest, that would be the motor in the bike that Keanu Reeves surfed across the desert in the Superbowl ad for his company, Arch Motorcycle.
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

An EE friend of mine built his dream chopper with an S&S engine, billet wheels with and / or gates on the spokes, and pinstripes made of all his patent numbers on the frame and tank. Over the top.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:So is this on the CARB list yet? :D

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/r ... s-for-2018
Nothing yet for Royal Enfield as of February 11, 2018. No worries, RE has successfully navigated this process before. I very much hope to be rolling down the road on one of their 650 Interceptor twins at some point in the not-too-distant future.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Though I would have bet a dead president against it, the Husqvarna Svartpilen and Vitpilen just appeared on the CARB Executive Order list. Dang!!!
Attachments
Vitpilen 401 Coming to California (and points east)
Vitpilen 401 Coming to California (and points east)
Vitpilen 401 Small.jpg (92.01 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
Svartpilen 401 Coming to California (and points east)
Svartpilen 401 Coming to California (and points east)
Svartpilen 401 Small.JPG (107.81 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

OH WOW, I also never believed those Husqy's would get here. I really like that Svartpilen, but it's probably out of my price range.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

PhillyKick wrote:OH WOW, I also never believed those Husqy's would get here. I really like that Svartpilen, but it's probably out of my price range.
That bike looks the goods, doesn't it? It's based on the KTM Duke's motor and many other parts, so you know it won't be cheaper than a Duke which runs $5299 MSRP. The thing is, that's not so much more than we had heard that the Genuine G400C would cost. It's a different market segment, for sure, but the price difference isn't huge or anything. I just now found out that my friendly neighborhood motorcycle/motorscooter dealer is picking up the KTM line so I'm pretty psyched about the possibility of a Vitpilen.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

The Himalayan looks pretty nice in graphite.

PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

jrsjr wrote: That bike looks the goods, doesn't it? It's based on the KTM Duke's motor and many other parts, so you know it won't be cheaper than a Duke which runs $5299 MSRP.
Oh yeah, and that dealer network map is..... frightening...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:The Himalayan looks pretty nice in graphite.

I'm really looking forward to throwing a leg over one of those. I'm hoping that RE will make test rides part of their push to get serious in the USA market.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Lucky for my there's an RE dealer nearby. I'll be sure to check it out when the Himalayan arrives. The reports on the BS4 version (the latest) of this bike has been very positive.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Luckily Philly Scooters was (and assumedly still is) a Royal dealer. That Himalayan is BEAUTIFUL, and right in the rang of what I want.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Yesterday's additions were all the variations of the KTM 390:

KTM 390 DUKE
KTM RC 390-R
KTM RC 390

Go KTM!

Honestly guys, I would REALLY like to see the Genuine G400C appear on the ARB Executive Orders listing!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

jrsjr wrote:Yesterday's additions were all the variations of the KTM 390:

KTM 390 DUKE
KTM RC 390-R
KTM RC 390

Go KTM!

Honestly guys, I would REALLY like to see the Genuine G400C appear on the ARB Executive Orders listing!
I think Genuine waited too long. There's a whole bunch of low displacement motorcycles by a whole bunch of big brands coming out. They should've been one of the first, not one of the last.

If they ever enter the market, it'll probably be saturated by the time they do.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

k1dude wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Yesterday's additions were all the variations of the KTM 390:

KTM 390 DUKE
KTM RC 390-R
KTM RC 390

Go KTM!

I think Genuine waited too long. There's a whole bunch of low displacement motorcycles by a whole bunch of big brands coming out. They should've been one of the first, not one of the last.

If they ever enter the market, it'll probably be saturated by the time they do.
I have to agree. I was very enthusiastic about the G400C when it was first announced and as more information and reviews came in. Now I'm kind of leaning toward the Svartpilen 401 as a second bike.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Christophers wrote:
I have to agree. I was very enthusiastic about the G400C when it was first announced and as more information and reviews came in. Now I'm kind of leaning toward the Svartpilen 401 as a second bike.
Genuine is really dropping the ball on getting the G400C out, and it is very disappointing.

(Well, Genuine, or whomever is causing this hold up).

It's been what, two years? since they announced it. I've been hoping it would come out (even if I have to trade in my Stella :( ), but so far....silence.

Then again, most of the other small displacement bikes I've seen don't have the style the G400C is supposed to have at that price point. Or am I missing something?

(Though the Himalayan does look nice!)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Yalzin wrote:(Well, Genuine, or whomever is causing this hold up).
I don't have any inside information on what's happened with the G400C, but I can just imagine based on the experience I've had with a Kickstarter project I backed way back about the same time that the G400C came to light. I got an e-mail this week which outlined everything that went wrong in a single critical month as they attempted to (finally) get the product out the door of the factory in China. Rather than paraphrase, I'm going to just paste in their "laundry list" so you can see it for yourselves.
Kickstarter wrote:It wasn’t easy (as has this entire journey so far). We ran into a few *small* hiccups along the way this past month including:

One of our distributors got thrown in jail, along with the majority of one critical component
One of our suppliers shipped 20k of parts that were a variant from what we had ordered, without telling us (more on that below).
Florian (Director, Head of Hardware) got sick, after working pretty much nonstop this year 😔
I wish I were kidding, but stuff like this happens a lot.
See what I mean?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

jrsjr wrote:
See what I mean?
Great post! Thanks for sharing that!
It does shed light on a complicated process by illustrating a handful of the numerous pitfalls that an endeavor such as this can encounter.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Syd

Post by Syd »

One of our distributors got thrown in jail, along with the majority of one critical component
How classic is that?

May I ask what you backed? I recently backed an Open Source cellphone OS, eelo, that I'll never own, but maybe there will be one in the future I can.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:
How classic is that?

May I ask what you backed? I recently backed an Open Source cellphone OS, eelo, that I'll never own, but maybe there will be one in the future I can.
Also a cellphone accessory, called the Superbook. It's intended to turn your cellphone into a quasi-laptop. As my premium, I chose the deluxe model with backlit keys and a 1080P screen. They have an app that essentially provides a "desktop" on your cellphone and the whole thing is driven by Displaylink technology, so no iPhone because of Apple policy. I suspected this project might be fraught, but they (apparently) came through after a raft of problems, including one that is specific to older Samsung phones (mine), which tend to have sketchy micro-USB connectors.

To bring this home to scootering... my desire for this product was inspired by my Scooter Cannonball experiences where I grappled mightily with the concept of travel with very limited space and carrying capacity. The idea of a small and extremely lightweight device that essentially turns your cellphone into a laptop was purely irresistible.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:
Syd wrote:
How classic is that?

Also a cellphone accessory, called the Superbook. It's intended to turn your cellphone into a quasi-laptop. As my premium, I chose the deluxe model with backlit keys and a 1080P screen. They have an app that essentially provides a "desktop" on your cellphone and the whole thing is driven by Displaylink technology, so no iPhone because of Apple policy. I suspected this project might be fraught, but they (apparently) came through after a raft of problems, including one that is specific to older Samsung phones (mine), which tend to have sketchy micro-USB connectors.

To bring this home to scootering... my desire for this product was inspired by my Scooter Cannonball experiences where I grappled mightily with the concept of travel with very limited space and carrying capacity. The idea of a small and extremely lightweight device that essentially turns your cellphone into a laptop was purely irresistible.
That's a cool idea! Would the device provide the multiwindowing, or are there 'Droid phones that have?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
Syd wrote:How classic is that?

That's a cool idea! Would the device provide the multiwindowing, or are there 'Droid phones that have?
I found the answer.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:The Himalayan looks pretty nice in graphite.

Here is the latest on the Himalayan. According to Motorcycle.com quoting from and writing about a Royal Enfield press release from yesterday -
Motorcycle.com wrote: The Himalayan complements Royal Enfield’s current lineup of middleweight motorcycles and will be available at Royal Enfield dealers across North America in April 2018 with an MSRP of $4,499. The model will be available in two colors, Granite and Snow, and will offer a full range of motorcycle accessories, including aluminum panniers, engine guards, aluminum cross-braced handlebars and billet handlebar weights, with additional accessories available soon.
This is a thread about CARB spotting, so I'm going to bring it on home by pointing out that no ARB Executive Order has been posted for the Himalayan's motor, so somebody better be very busy getting that done soon...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Busy day today. Three Eric Buell bikes, some Harleys, the NC750X/DX and Africa Twin all were posted.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

And a couple new entries today, Friday, believe it or not.

Benelli TNT 135

BMS 150 Scooter line
(ASTRO, BEMINE, BEMINE, BREEZYS, CAVALIER, CHELSEA, CONCEPT, HERITAGE, KERRIGAN, PALAZZO, PREMIER, PRESTIGE, ROMAN, THE LEGEND, TUSCAN 150, VALKYRIE150)
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Cool. Looks like the Benelli TNT line will span 135cc to 600cc.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrsjr wrote:And a couple new entries today, Friday, believe it or not.

Benelli TNT 135
I'll be adding this one to the mix. Loved the styling and psyched that they're bringing it here.

Finally getting back into my scooter groove. Not much wrenching or riding as of late. Trying to finish an MB5 upgrade/overhaul so I can get my '75 SX125 into the garage. Planning to really do it wrong for the LEL this year.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Contrary to history, Genuine has the Buddy and Buddy Kick 125, and the Buddy 170 and Hooligan on the list for 2019!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

In case anybody is interested here is the current FEBRUARY UPDATE of the EPA list. I'm posting this because the EPA decided to throw every year of every manufacturer since 2006 into one XLS file and let the users figure out model year via a column to the far right on a page with a million columns. It's a mess! I don't know what inspired them to do that. The version that's up now is actually an improvement because some kind soul reposted the spreadsheet sorted by model year. Originally it was just a complete mess. Thank goodness for small favors, eh? Anyway, here is the relevant up-to-date EPA listing for Genuine for 2018. This is not to say that more vehicles aren't coming, but this is what they have as of now, March 13th.

Genuine Scooters, LLC Motive Power Industry Co., Ltd. Buddy 50, Roughhouse 50, Roughhouse 50 Sport
Genuine Scooters, LLC Motive Power Industry Co., Ltd. Buddy 50, Roughhouse 50, Roughhouse 50 Sport
Genuine Scooters, LLC Motive Power Industry Co., Ltd. Buddy Kick
Genuine Scooters, LLC Motive Power Industry Co., Ltd Buddy 125
Genuine Scooters, LLC Motive Power Industry Co., Ltd. Buddy 170i, Hooligan 170i
Genuine Scooters, LLC Ningbo Longjia Motorcycle Co., Ltd. Trevis 50, Venture 50
Genuine Scooters, LLC Ningbo Longjia Motorcycle Co., Ltd. Venture 150*

*Venture 150 is a 49-State model, sorry California...
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

The Venture 150 could be the modern-day People 150
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

dasscooter wrote:The Venture 150 could be the modern-day People 150
Reading my mind you are! Channeling Brooke from the old Old OLD ScooterBBS - "The People 150 is the sensible shoes of scooters."
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

jrsjr wrote:
dasscooter wrote:The Venture 150 could be the modern-day People 150
Reading my mind you are! Channeling Brooke from the old Old OLD ScooterBBS - "The People 150 is the sensible shoes of scooters."
I have one in my pile of projects that I plan on semi-restoring and making good for another 20 years before the parts start drying up.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Did I just read that right? They are doing a 150 version of the venture? Follow up question...why wasn't that a 150 from the start?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Stanza wrote:Did I just read that right? They are doing a 150 version of the venture? Follow up question...why wasn't that a 150 from the start?
The Venture (Trevis) is made in China as a 50cc 2T, a 50cc 4T, and a 125. My guess is that Genuine had to pursuade them to make a 150cc version so it took a production cycle to get that done. And, yes, you read right, that's a 49-state 150 Venture as near as I can tell from the EPA documentation. NOTE: That bike is not on the Genuine site yet, so don't hold your breath.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote:Genuine Scooters, LLC Motive Power Industry Co., Ltd. Buddy 50, Roughhouse 50, Roughhouse 50 Sport
Genuine Scooters, LLC Ningbo Longjia Motorcycle Co., Ltd. Trevis 50, Venture 50
Genuine Scooters, LLC Ningbo Longjia Motorcycle Co., Ltd. Venture 150*

*Venture 150 is a 49-State model, sorry California...
This is what that 2018 list looks like without duplicates.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Okay, this is weird. You know how sometimes you see something and you go, "Oh yeah, I got that." And then a second later you go, "No, wait! WTF?" Well I just had one of those moments. I was taking a peek at the CARB "Executive Orders" page and noticed that they have added a page for 2019 model year bikes. Naturally I had to check that out, right? So, there are three, count 'em - three, bikes on that page and guess who they are from? Genuine. I kid you not. Genuine is first in line for 2019 ARB cert on the Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125, Buddy 170i and Hooligan 170i.

I feel sure there is a story here. Would love to know what it is. Seriously.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote:So, there are three, count 'em - three, bikes on that page and guess who they are from? Genuine. I kid you not. Genuine is first in line for 2019 ARB cert on the Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125, Buddy 170i and Hooligan 170i.
Wouldn't that be four? (oh, I see. The Hooligan doesn't count as it uses the same engine as the Buddy 170.)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dooglas wrote:
jrsjr wrote:So, there are three, count 'em - three, bikes on that page and guess who they are from? Genuine. I kid you not. Genuine is first in line for 2019 ARB cert on the Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125, Buddy 170i and Hooligan 170i.
Wouldn't that be four?
Yes, but ARB counts "Engine Families," so the Buddy 170i and Hooligan 170i are counted on the same Executive Order. But, yes, you're correct, there are four bikes. My bad. :oops:

In case anybody is interested, there are multiple new entries today on the CARB 2019 Executive Order list, The Honda Grom (and Grom ABS), five models of the Triumph XR 800 line, three models of the Triumph T-100 line, four models of the Triumph T-120 line, three models of the Triumph Bobber/Speedmaster line, five models of the Triumph XR 1200 line, three models of the Street Triple line, and two models of the Street Triple S/RS line. That's more models than I have fingers to count on so I'll just say it's a lot of models. Now that I look at the list again, I see that the Rocket Triple motor family is missing. I assume that will be along as I haven't heard anything about Triumph dropping the Rocket line.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey, three new Piaggio scooter engine famalies popped up in the 2019 ARB Executive Orders list.

PIAGGIO VESPA SPRINT 150 and PRIMAVERA 150 ABS
PIAGGIO BV 350 ABS
PIAGGIO MP3 500 SPORT LT ABS

That's all I got.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jrsjr wrote:Though I would have bet a dead president against it, the Husqvarna Svartpilen and Vitpilen just appeared on the CARB Executive Order list. Dang!!!
And I was doubly wrong on this because the Vitpilen 701 also showed up on the CARB LIST yesterday - 4/3/18.