CARB Spotting - 2018

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey a relevant 2019 CARB item showed up today. The 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150 hit the list.

Also, the Moto Guzzi V7 line hit the 2018 list. There are a bunch of variants of the V7 coming. They had already gotten the motor certified, but they added some new V7 models. Yay!

I'm officially holding my breath waiting for some Royal Enfield bikes to be listed. Suuup....
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today's small bike additions to the 2018 CARB Executive Orders are the Suzuki GSX250R and GSX250RZ. Today's additions to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders are the Suzuki VanVan 200, GSX250R, GSX250RZ, and the "Hammer Brand" (Wolf) 150 scooters (Blaze II, EX-150 Sport Edition, Jet Classic II, Lucky 2, Rugby II, V-150).
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:So is this on the CARB list yet? :D

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/r ... s-for-2018
Well, it's not on the CARB list yet, but I can confirm that the 2018 Royal Himalayan is definitely on the latest rev of the EPA Certifications list. Not helpful for California residents, I know...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

As I have already (repeatedly) opined, the EPA has elected to throw all their motorcycle certification records, all 4780 of them, into one giant spreadsheet and you can love it or...

I didn't love it. At all. So I decided to publish my own version of the database more suited to tracking the ongoing changes and additions. What I did was to split the EPA database into two parts, the Static Part with the data from 2006 - 2017 and the Dynamic Part with the 2018 - 2019 data. I assume the 2006 - 2017 data won't be changing, so I won't be checking or editing that spreadsheet. The 2018 - 2019 data will be changing, so I will continue to edit that sheet.

Google assures me that when I make edits to the sheet, they will do their job and post the revised sheet to the web at the same location. So, that's how I am going to handle this going forward. It ain't great, but at least now we have a fighting chance of being able to find and recognize ongoing updates to the 2018 - 2019 data. Here are the links. Feel free to comment, offer suggestions, etc.

Happy EPA hunting!

EPA On-Highway Motorcycle Certifications 2006 - 2017

EPA On-Highway Motorcycle Certifications 2018 - 2019

The second list is the one of interest to this thread. My job now is to figure out how to track the revisions/additions to that list. I'm hoping that will be easier than trying to work with that completely unwieldy 4780 line (by 65 column!) spreadsheet the EPA published (with the year information conviently located in the 65th column to the far right).

EDIT: I forgot to mention what prompted all this is that the EPA published an "April" version of this spreadsheet today (April 25th). My sheets are up to the minute. There is no Genuine G400C anywhere to be found sorry to say and no Royal Enfield 650 bikes, either. With the sheet I've made available, you should be able to track any other bike you are looking for.
Last edited by jrsjr on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

To get back to CARB hunting, there are new entries for small bikes from Honda and Piaggio in the 2019 CARB Executive Orders.

First up, there are two new Piaggio entries covering the Vespa 150 engine family and the Vespa 300 engine family in the 2019 CARB EOs. There are a lot of models of each which I'll try to list. In the 150 family there are the Vespa Primavera 150 ABS, Vespa Primavera 150 ABS 12", Vespa Primavera 150 Touring ABS, Vespa Primavera S 150 ABS, Vespa Sprint 150 ABS, and Vespa Sprint S 150 ABS. In the Vespa 300 family there are the Vespa GTS RST 300 ABS, Vespa GTS RST Super 300 ABS, Vespa GTS RST Supersport 300 ABS, Vespa GTS RST Touring 300 ABS, and Vespa Sei Giorni 300 ABS. Whew!

Second, there are two new entries for American Honda in the 2019 CARB EOs, Honda CBF300N and CBF300N ABS.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

We have a new addition to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders today - the Yamaha XT250K1C enduro bike.

Nothing new on the EPA list today...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Not the G400C or the Rainbow Unicorn, sorry to say, but there are a couple new CARB certification notices today.

First, BMW has a new certification with three bikes - F750GS, F850GS, F850GS Adventure.

Second, Ducati has a new certification with three bikes - Panigale V4, Panigale V4 S, Panigale V4 Speciale.

Big bikes, I know, but I wanted you folks to know that I'm paying attention...

The EPA list updates very infrequently, so stay tuned.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

jrsjr wrote:Not the G400C or the Rainbow Unicorn, sorry to say, but there are a couple new CARB certification notices today.
What's the Rainbow Unicorn now-a-days?
Sorry. I lost track.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Christophers wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Not the G400C or the Rainbow Unicorn, sorry to say, but there are a couple new CARB certification notices today.
What's the Rainbow Unicorn now-a-days?
Sorry. I lost track.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Exactly. :D

It was a rumored vintage-styled cruiser of a displacement I can't remember, but bigger than anything previous from Genuine.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:Exactly. :D

It was a rumored vintage-styled cruiser of a displacement I can't remember, but bigger than anything previous from Genuine.
Right! And now, following a process I call "The Transmigration of the Scooters*," it has become a Scomati or maybe a Royal Alloy, whichever comes first.

*Sincere apologies to any Eschatologists who happen to be Modern Buddy members....
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Maybe the name for this forum should be changed to "Modern Scootering".:)
Could attract more members, maybe?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Ah, a scooter-related post on the 2019 CARB Certification list - Honda PCX150 and PCX150 ABS.

Some non scooter-related bikes also appeared today on the 2019 CARB Certification List -

Yamaha MTI9GTKCB and MTI9KCGY. These are the renamed FZ-09 California variants.

No news on the EPA Certification front...
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

jrsjr wrote: Right! And now, following a process I call "The Transmigration of the Scooters*," it has become a Scomati or maybe a Royal Alloy, whichever comes first.

*Sincere apologies to any Eschatologists who happen to be Modern Buddy members....
LOL
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

jrsjr wrote: And now, ... it has become a Scomati or maybe a Royal Alloy, whichever comes first.
Then I guess I'm inadvertently on the same page/thinking along the same lines as many on the MB forums.

The Scomadi is probably the best match to the Rainbow Unicorn that I have been hunting.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Christophers wrote:The Scomadi is probably the best match to the Rainbow Unicorn that I have been hunting.
So far, the Scomadi 400 also remains like the Rainbow Unicorn in another sense. It remains mythical and unavailable.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dooglas wrote:
Christophers wrote:The Scomadi is probably the best match to the Rainbow Unicorn that I have been hunting.
So far, the Scomadi 400 also remains like the Rainbow Unicorn in another sense. It remains mythical and unavailable.
Attachments
Rainbow-Unicorn-Cruiser.jpg
Rainbow-Unicorn-Cruiser.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
Syd

Post by Syd »

There it iis! Ahhh.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

And to get back-on topic, there is a new entry on the 2019 CARB Certifications list today and it is definitely scooter-related:

Piaggio Typhoon 125
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today's small bike addition to the 2019 Certification list is the Kawasaki Z125 Pro. Vroom! Vroom!

The rest of today's additions to the 2019 CARB Certifications are as follows:

- Vulcan S and Vulcan S ABS

- Versys 650 ABS

- Ninja 650, Ninja 650 ABS, Z650, and Z650 ABS

- Concours 14 ABS

- Vulcan 1700 Voyager and Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS

- NINJA ZX-14R ABS

- VULCAN 900 Classic, VULCAN 900 Classic LT, VULCAN 900 Custom

That's all I have.

For now...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today there is a small bike addition to the 2018 CARB Certification list. I don't know what to say about these bikes. The design of thse bikes is clearly intended to evoke the early Brough Superior. If the name Brough Superior or T.E. Lawrence doesn't mean a thing to you, then I'm not sure what you will make of these bikes. Anyway, hitting the 2018 CARB Cert list today are the Janus Motorcycles Gryffin 250, Halycon 250, and Phoenix 250. Don't bother trying to access their website tonight, it is so slammed that you'll just be frustrated. Here is a representative pic so you can get a feel for what this is. T.E. Lawrence kept a crown under the gas cap of his Brough motorcycles (he had eight) so he'd never be stranded without any money...

Last edited by jrsjr on Wed May 23, 2018 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That is one of the coolest bikes I've seen in a long time. Wonder if it's real and will it show up in the US and for how much?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:That is one of the coolest bikes I've seen in a long time. Wonder if it's real and will it show up in the US and for how much?
Apparently Janus Motorcycles is a real thing in Goshen, Indiana. The bikes are supposedly hand-crafted to your spec and prices start at $6995 before "upgrades." That's according to their website.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:That is one of the coolest bikes I've seen in a long time. Wonder if it's real and will it show up in the US and for how much?
P.S. Do you like that leading-link front fork setup? The graceful curve of the primary strut? The way they've evoked the Norton Featherbed frame? There is a whole library of classic 1920s/1930s British bike design cues there...
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

That's gotta be one rough ride. Cool though.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jrsjr wrote:
P.S. Do you like that leading-link front fork setup? The graceful curve of the primary strut? The way they've evoked the Norton Featherbed frame? There is a whole library of classic 1920s/1930s British bike design cues there...
Yes, that Earles-like leading link fork is one of the best parts of the bike. I guess the only thing in my mind that isn't quite right is the way the seat is covered. Looks like it has a toupee on it. And being a hard-tail, I imagine the ride is going to be an "adventure".
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:Yes, that Earles-like leading link fork is one of the best parts of the bike. I guess the only thing in my mind that isn't quite right is the way the seat is covered. Looks like it has a toupee on it. And being a hard-tail, I imagine the ride is going to be an "adventure".
Yeah. That hardtail aspect stood out rather prominently to me too! Eech
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

There is one new addition to the 2018 CARB list today. It turns out that a new document supersedes a previous document and adds a new model of the Indian Scout - Jack Daniels Limited Edition Scout Bobber.

There were two additions to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders today. First, the Polaris S, Polaris SL, and Polaris SLR. The second additions to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders today are the Suzuki GSX-S750A, GSX-S750YA, GSX-S750Z, GSX-S750ZA.

Still no G400C or Rainbow Unicorn or Royal Enfield 650.

SHOEHORN: The following post was in the wrong thread. I shoehorned the contents here so the entries would be in chronological order. So, just pretend this was a separate post from June 1st, 2018. :oops:

PART I
So far today (June 1st) there are already two new entries on the 2019 CARB Executive Orders list. These are both for large displacement bikes (and in one case for large $$$ bikes).

Today's new entries on the 2019 CARB Executive Order list are 1) Ducati Multistrada 950 and Multistrada 950 T and 2) Ducati 959 Panigale and 955 Panigale Corse.

It's early yet on a Friday so there may be further entries coming. The EPA database has not been updated this first day of May. They have been in the habit of updating towards the end of the month every other month which means we should hear from them the end of this month. Based on what we've been hearing, I fully expect the 49-state G400C to be offered for sale within the next few weeks, so it's a race to see whether we see the bikes or the EPA certification first.

PART II
Well, the CARB folks have been quite busy today. Earlier they posted two new Executive Orders for 2019 and this afternoon they have updated the 2018 list with four new EOs. Spoiler Alert: There are no Rainbow Unicorns, Magic Cruisers or even a pedestrian G400C in this update. Sorry!

Here are the new EOs:

Ducati - Scrambler 1100

Royal Enfield - Bullet Classic EFI, Bullet EFI, Bullet Electra CLA, Bullet Electra EFI

Royal Enfield - Continental GT

And last, but certainly not of least interest to us...

CSC Motorcycles - SG250, TT250 (This order supersedes the previous order which only covered the TT250 model)
Click on the SG250 to go to the CSC motorcycles page for details like 16.1HP, 273 lbs, 4 GAL, etc..
Last edited by jrsjr on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

We may not have the G400C (yet), but first thing this morning, the California Air Resources Board has posted the Executive Order for another 400cc motorbike of interest. This is from the 2019 CARB EO list updated today. Here goes:

Ducati - Scrambler, Scrambler 400, Scrambler 400 T, Scrambler T
Last edited by jrsjr on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Also added to the 2019 CARB Executive Order list today are the following two Ducati bike lines:

Ducati - Diavel, Diavel Carbon, Diavel Diesel, Titanium

Ducati - XDiavel, XDiavel S
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kawasaki also adds a 400cc bike to the CARB 2019 EO list today.

Kawasaki - Ninja 400
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

In addition to the above-mentioned 400, Kawasaki added four other bike lines to the CARB 2019 EO list today.

Kawasaki - KLX250

Kawasaki - Versys-X 300, Versys-X 300 ABS

Kawasaki - Ninja ZX-6R

Kawasaki - Z900, Z900 ABS
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today there are two new KTM/Husqvarna lines, 250/350, added to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders.

Husqvarna - FE 250
KTM - 250 EXC-F

Husqvarna - FE 350
KTM - 350 EXC-F

Apologies for the absence of Unicorns...

The latest/greatest EPA database update should be about three weeks from now if they hold to form, so we'll see what's what then.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

The CARB folks have been busy today. There are three more families of motorbikes added to the 2019 Executive Orders this evening. Here we go:

Kymco - Spade 150

Ducati - Monster 797, Monster 797 T (actually 803cc)

Ducati - Supersport, Supersport T, Supersport S T, Supersport T
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Man, the CARB folks have been busy today. Here is a family of motorcycles added to the 2018 Executive Orders. NOTE: Most of the bikes above were added to the 2019 list, so please note this is an addition to the 2018 list.

Boom Motorcycles - BD125 - 1, BD125 - 10, BD125 - 11, BD125 - 15, BD125 - 2, BD125 - 7, BD125 - 8, BD125 - 9
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

What is Boom Motorcycles? :roll:
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

RoaringTodd wrote:What is Boom Motorcycles? :roll:
I know, right? I'm just reporting everything that the California Air Resources Board posts. If you do a little digging, I think you'll find they are made in China by Jiangsu Baodiao Motor Vehicle Co., Ltd. CARB shortens that to Baodiao. The Boom that I found a pic of looks like a Honda Grom clone, but apparently there are a lot of variations.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Just when you thought it was safe to shut the 'puter down for the night...

New (late in the day) additions to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders!

Ducati - Scrambler 1100, Scrambler 1100 T

Ducati - Multistrada 1200, Multistrada 1200 Enduro, Multistrada 1200 Enduro Pro, Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak, Multistrada 1200 S

Ducati - Scrambler, Scrambler, Scrambler CR, Scrambler CR, Scrambler T, Scrambler T, Scrambler CR T, Scrambler CR T, Scrambler DS, Scrambler DS, Scrambler DS T, Scrambler DS T (in all 12 cases, 800cc though not in the official name of the bike)

Ducati - Multistrada 1260, Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak, Multistrada 1260 S (for when, like, 1200cc is just way too wimpy for your riding needs...)

Ducati - Monster R, Monster S, Monster ST, Monster T, Monster (1200cc)

Ducati - Hypermotard 939, Hypermotard 939 SP, Hyperstrada 939

Ducati - Monster 821
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today's addition to the 2018 CARB Executive Orders:

Westward - G0-4, G-4 Extended
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today's addition to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders:

Piaggio - Fly 150
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today's addition to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders list:

Indian - Scout, Scout Bobber, Scout Sixty
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

jrsjr wrote:Today's addition to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders list:

Until they list the Scout FTR750, I won't get excited.
Attachments
Indian-Scout-FTR-small.jpg
Indian-Scout-FTR-small.jpg (116.87 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:

I don't think that will be very hard. The FTR has the same motor as the Scout. Indian announced the FTR as a 2019 model this week. If you get a chance to watch Jared Mees and the rest of the Indian Wrecking Crew ride the Indian at a race, you should go.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

jrsjr wrote:
k1dude wrote:

I don't think that will be very hard. The FTR has the same motor as the Scout. Indian announced the FTR as a 2019 model this week. If you get a chance to watch Jared Mees and the rest of the Indian Wrecking Crew ride the Indian at a race, you should go.
That's for a new 1200. I want the 750.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
k1dude wrote: Until they list the Scout FTR750, I won't get excited.
That's for a new 1200. I want the 750.
That can be arranged. Indian will sell you a "customer" race bike for $50K.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

jrsjr wrote:That can be arranged. Indian will sell you a "customer" race bike for $50K.

Let me think about that no.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:
jrsjr wrote:That can be arranged. Indian will sell you a "customer" race bike for $50K.

Let me think about that no.
Not excited about running 120mph into a turn with no brakes? Well, you can follow Hayden Gillin's effort in the "Man in a van with a plan" series on Cycle World as he gives it a try.
Attachments
WOT? No Brakes???
WOT? No Brakes???
Indian FTR750 Hayden Gillin.JPG (55.22 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today's addition to the 2018 CARB Executive Orders is a scooter! Woo Hoo!

Lifan - S-Ray 150
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Today's addition to the 2019 CARB Executive Orders - More Scooters! Woo Hoo!:

Yamaha - YW125KB (Zuma 125), YW125KL (Zuma 125)

Yamaha - XC-155KR (SMax 155)

Yamaha - TW200K1C
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm posting this link without comment in case anybody is interested.