Running lights not working

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bbuddyb

Running lights not working

Post by bbuddyb »

Hello,
I just got my buddy in September and only noticed this weekend that the running lights don't work. Is there a simple diagnostic I can do? All the other lights and signals work fine.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
EricV

Post by EricV »

The DOT requirements for lighting meant that most Buddy scooters had to have a second set of larger turn signals added up under the handlebars. This meant that the original turn signals in the front body panels were disconnected and pluged into the new turn signals.

This has given the common nickname to the turn signals in the body panels as 'dead lights'. If these front lower lights in the body panels are what you are seeing as not working, that's condition normal.

You can wire them back up in various ways, as running lights or more easily as turn signals that flash with the other ones.

There are nice write ups on the forum about doing these mods. Check the technical archive section.
bbuddyb

Post by bbuddyb »

Thanks so much, Eric! That's super helpful.
EricV

Post by EricV »

I plan on wiring mine together, but for now liked the original lights better, so plugged those back in and left the under the handlebar lights unplugged. It's easy to do. The front panel comes off with the two screws from the rider's side, and the one big screw on the front.
MikeR

Here's what you can do...

Post by MikeR »

bbuddyb wrote:Hello,
I just got my buddy in September and only noticed this weekend that the running lights don't work. Is there a simple diagnostic I can do? All the other lights and signals work fine.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

See my post of 12/28/2017 re: Double Dose of Running Lights - it'll tell you how I turned the deadlights into running lights, utilizing the orange wire which goes to the USB charger as a"hot" (+) source, and the nut behind the horn (usually that's me) as the "ground" (-).

Enjoy!
"Outside of a book, a dog is man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read".

Groucho Marx

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song".

Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong