Replacement carburetor for buddy 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Joejitsumd

Replacement carburetor for buddy 125?

Post by Joejitsumd »

Will a gy6 carb with a 24mm intake fit the buddy 125? The stock carb is like $225 but these gy6 carbs are only $25.

Joe
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

No, the throttle cable is different.
Joejitsumd

Post by Joejitsumd »

Bummer. Is there any aftermarket (not the $225 OEM) carb that you know of that will fit?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Do you want a used one?
I have the original OEM carbeurator that came off of my Buddy Psycho. It might have, like 200-300 miles on it, maybe less.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

EBay offers several choices for replacement CVK carbs though not all are created equal. The least expensive type is one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-OEM ... Zd&vxp=mtr. Typically sells for between $16/USD to $35/USD. Then there are these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-CA ... Wd&vxp=mtr. These are for all intents and purpose identical to the OEM carb. They sell for around $120/USD.

There is an old saying; you get what you pay for. The more expensive carb is better made with tighter tolerances. But the biggest difference is the better one has an accelerator pump, just like the OEM carb. The advantage being better off-the-line acceleration. And yes, the stock throttle cable will work. I use a 30mm version of this carb on my Blur.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

babblefish wrote:EBay offers several choices for replacement CVK carbs though not all are created equal. The least expensive type is one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-OEM ... Zd&vxp=mtr. Typically sells for between $16/USD to $35/USD. Then there are these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-CA ... Wd&vxp=mtr. These are for all intents and purpose identical to the OEM carb. They sell for around $120/USD.

There is an old saying; you get what you pay for. The more expensive carb is better made with tighter tolerances. But the biggest difference is the better one has an accelerator pump, just like the OEM carb. The advantage being better off-the-line acceleration. And yes, the stock throttle cable will work. I use a 30mm version of this carb on my Blur.
Not a Buddy 125 throttle cable, it's a different length. Bad advice is the biggest problem with this forum - I'm not sure why you'd chime in on something you don't have experience with. Anyway, in order to use a standard GY6 carb, you have to also change the throttle cable. I did.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You get what you pay for. I can check but I may have a 125 stock sitting around. I went to a 26mm when I kitted.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Okay, Joe. Two offers of a used OEM Buddy carb. The ball is in your court.
Joejitsumd

Post by Joejitsumd »

I appreciate the offers guy. I’m actually waiting for a replacement I-ring to arrive so I can try to use my stock carb. If that doesn’t work I may take up one of the offers. Until then I was still interested in learning more about adapting a gy6 carb to the buddy 125.
Joejitsumd

Post by Joejitsumd »

Could someone explain the vacuum line connection on the buddy? I notice that the vacuum line connects on the bottom right side of the carb but other scooter carbs have a vacuum line that connects on the upper part of the carb and have a hose with a T connector. Are these lines connected differently for a purpose? Can they be adapted together?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

dasscooter wrote:
babblefish wrote:EBay offers several choices for replacement CVK carbs though not all are created equal. The least expensive type is one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-OEM ... Zd&vxp=mtr. Typically sells for between $16/USD to $35/USD. Then there are these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-CA ... Wd&vxp=mtr. These are for all intents and purpose identical to the OEM carb. They sell for around $120/USD.

Not a Buddy 125 throttle cable, it's a different length. Bad advice is the biggest problem with this forum - I'm not sure why you'd chime in on something you don't have experience with. Anyway, in order to use a standard GY6 carb, you have to also change the throttle cable. I did.
The length of the throttle cable plays no part in whether or not a carb will work unless one is going from a CVK carb to a slide carb. If you swapped from the stock carb to another CVK type carb and had to change the throttle cable, then I don't know whats up with your setup.
I said what I said because the stock carb from my Blur is a direct fit on my Buddy 150 and since the Buddy 125 and 150 carbs have the same part number and Scooter Dynasty lists the same carb for the Buddys and the Blur, I'm pretty certain I'm correct. The throttle cable attachment to the carb on the Buddy and Blur are identical. So I stand by my statement that a generic GY6 CVK carb is a direct replacement for the stock PGO carb.

As far as experience is concerned, I have a fair bit as some of the older members of this board knows...
Last edited by babblefish on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Joejitsumd wrote:I appreciate the offers guy. I’m actually waiting for a replacement I-ring to arrive so I can try to use my stock carb. If that doesn’t work I may take up one of the offers. Until then I was still interested in learning more about adapting a gy6 carb to the buddy 125.
A generic GY6 24mm CVK carb is a direct replacement for the stock carb. All mounting dimensions, electrical and throttle cable connections are a direct swap. No mods required other than a possible main jet change to one slightly smaller (or use your original one). Even that may not be necessary. Just don't buy the cheap carb. But, if you can get a good stock carb from one of the forum members at a good price, you may as well do that.
Joejitsumd

Post by Joejitsumd »

babblefish wrote:
Joejitsumd wrote:I appreciate the offers guy. I’m actually waiting for a replacement I-ring to arrive so I can try to use my stock carb. If that doesn’t work I may take up one of the offers. Until then I was still interested in learning more about adapting a gy6 carb to the buddy 125.
A generic GY6 24mm CVK carb is a direct replacement for the stock carb. All mounting dimensions, electrical and throttle cable connections are a direct swap. No mods required other than a possible main jet change to one slightly smaller (or use your original one). Even that may not be necessary. Just don't buy the cheap carb. But, if you can get a good stock carb from one of the forum members at a good price, you may as well do that.

Thanks for the info, you have been very helpful. So what confuses me is that if a gy6 CVK 24mm carb is a direct replacement, how do you connect the vacuum lines? On the buddy the vacuum line connects to a small spout at the bottom of the carb. It I took this screenshot of a gy6 CVK 24mm carb and it has a different vacuum line (connected on the upper carb and has a T shaped hose. So how would I make that work?
Attachments
594260A0-2B15-4801-A9D7-7FD66CB6EC98.jpeg
594260A0-2B15-4801-A9D7-7FD66CB6EC98.jpeg (181.17 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

In this photo, I think the line marked "to fuel pump" is incorrectly translated. I think it means the vacuum nipple on the fuel valve. I think "to intake manifold" refers to what you call the "small spout at the bottom of the carb".

[/img]
Last edited by vintagegarage on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

I forgot one other thing. Normally, the main jet is stamped with it's size. On the carb in your photo, my bet is that there is no size stamped on the main jet. In any event, before you install the carb, you should look at the main jet to see what size it is. If there is no size stamped on it, take the time to measure the size. It will save you a step if the engine runs ok, but not perfectly, and you decide to take the carb back off to study it some more. You also won't know much about the generic main needle, so if the engine doesn't run perfectly, you may have some guesswork to figure it out. I think your Buddy would have had a 92 main jet. It would be great if someone on the forum can confirm this.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Joejitsumd wrote:
babblefish wrote:

Thanks for the info, you have been very helpful. So what confuses me is that if a gy6 CVK 24mm carb is a direct replacement, how do you connect the vacuum lines? On the buddy the vacuum line connects to a small spout at the bottom of the carb. It I took this screenshot of a gy6 CVK 24mm carb and it has a different vacuum line (connected on the upper carb and has a T shaped hose. So how would I make that work?
There are no vacuum line connections on the stock carb. Here are all the connections on my Buddy:
1) throttle cable
2) fuel inlet (on the side of carb)
3) float bowl drain hose on the bottom of the float bowl
4) electrical connection for the automatic choke

There is a vacuum hose attached to the intake manifold that goes to the vacuum fuel shutoff petcock.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

vintagegarage wrote:I forgot one other thing. Normally, the main jet is stamped with it's size. On the carb in your photo, my bet is that there is no size stamped on the main jet. In any event, before you install the carb, you should look at the main jet to see what size it is. If there is no size stamped on it, take the time to measure the size. It will save you a step if the engine runs ok, but not perfectly, and you decide to take the carb back off to study it some more. You also won't know much about the generic main needle, so if the engine doesn't run perfectly, you may have some guesswork to figure it out. I think your Buddy would have had a 92 main jet. It would be great if someone on the forum can confirm this.
I believe the Buddy 125 should have a #92 MJ while the Buddy 150 and Blur 150 should have a #102. My Blur came with a #92 from the factory which I think was a mistake because the engine ran too lean. I'm currently using a #118 but then my engine isn't exactly stock.