Help analyze what's wrong with my MIO scooter

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sadko

Help analyze what's wrong with my MIO scooter

Post by Sadko »

Hello. I'm a new user, as you can see. English is not my first language so I'm sorry for any mistakes. Really not familiar with the terminology of scooters and their parts. I'm in a bit of trouble. I bought a scooter in Thailand, the model called Mio Soul. I think that's the name.

That's how it looks. I left it in Thailand for quite a long time, almost a year to be exact. One friend fixed it and said it was in a good condition, quoth "The bike is in the good condition, and recently has been fully serviced. Some parts were replaced, including: carburetor, fuel lines, air filter, rear wheel ball bearings, battery and lights; costing 1980 TBH in total (see attached receipt) It has minor scuffs and scratchings, right foot rest for passenger is slightly crooked, saddle hinge was broken but has been fixed with cable ties, which do the job when seat is lifted for refueling. Overall it's a great ride, the engine runs smooth and has plenty of power, good tires and brakes. It comes with set of 2 keys."

However, after that the scooter was left idly parked at a mutual friend's place. It was there for a long time, unused. Later my friend came and we had a deal that she could use it as long as she fixed the problems inside it and kept it in good condition. The following parts were fixed; the oil seal, carburator, rear bearing, scooter cables. However, there have been some really intense situations on the road and she doesn't want to use it anymore, specifically because of several things.

1) She describes a problem where the scooter feels really 'tight', and regardless of whether she's accelerating or not, when she drives it seems to surge or sputter, I don't know how to describe it.

2) She complains of the smell. When static and with the engine running, there is an awful cloud of odor.

3) We think this problem is related to the previous one. It really eats up a lot of gasoline, like it needs to be refueled twice a day.

4) Finally, most dangerous problem is that sometimes the throttle/handle bar can get stuck in place. She was driving up a steep hill and had the handlebar accelerating to the max, but when she got up the hill it was stuck in place, she took out the key and barely managed to slow down.

So of course I can't blame her, she spent already 100$ on repairs and the local scooter maintenance technicians don't have a clue what's wrong, just saying that 'something's broken'. I was hoping some of you may have an idea of what could be fixed, or if this scooter is a lost cause and I should sell it for scrap parts.

Thanks in advance!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, one thing that is wrong is that the bike is not a Stella and you have posted in the Stella Forum :wink: . The other is that your descriptions are very general and it would be difficult for a reader here to offer you much in the way of specific guidance. Sounds like you need to find a capable local repair shop and have them troubleshoot it for you. "Somethings broken" isn't a very useful diagnosis.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Someone may be able to help you here, but you should also ask at the Scoot Dawg forum, http://itistheride.boards.net/ They should be more accustomed to your scoot.
The majority is always sane - Nessus