Spare parts to carry on road/regular trips

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JMLacroix

Spare parts to carry on road/regular trips

Post by JMLacroix »

Hey all I recently picked up a Stella 2012 4Stroke. I was wondering for anyone who does big or small road trips what kind of spare parts do you pack? What parts of the bike are most likely going to break on a trip? Could go the same with older vintage vespas.
johnk

Post by johnk »

Hey JMLacroix. I have the same bike!

I would recommend an inner clutch cable (pre-greased and kept in a ziploc), a spark plug (pre-gapped to about 0.75mm and kept in a protective case), and something to lift the bike if you need to change your rear tire. I shove a 7" piece of 2x4 under the engine for that purpose. If your clutch cable snaps, you have no spark, or you get a flat, you'll be stranded if you can't replace them.

Along with the 2x4, be sure to keep your spare tire inflated to at least 25 PSI, and ideally practice your first tire change in the comfort of your driveway.

Beyond these, there might be some parts that someone like me couldn't personally replace but would be a good idea to carry on a long trip in case I can find a mechanic. Based on my own experience, a clutch actuation lever/inner lever falls into that category.
sennyty

Post by sennyty »

I have it and take small roads with this bike