New Member Scooter Shopping

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Point37

New Member Scooter Shopping

Post by Point37 »

UPDATE: BOUGHT A 2013 SEAFOAM BUDDY 125, MODIFICATIONS BEGIN, SEE THIS POST...trying to keep all my info in this thread so it's easy for me to find http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... 104#368080

hi all!...i'm a new member here and don't currently have a scooter but i am researching and shopping to see what's out there

as far as introductions go...i came from having a moped when i had my learners permit...then i went to motorcycles (listed below)...i still currently have a motorcycle that i am trying to sell as i don't have a ton of time to ride it with a newborn and buying a scooter would be a perfect way to do things around town and still have some fun...i don't really know much about scooters so i'm reading as much as i can...reading a lot of reviews on justgottascoot...i feel like i've come full circle...moped to motorcycle to scooter...i just love trying anything motorized on 2 wheels

i'm 6' 175lbs and primarily looking for a non-chinese 125cc+ scooter with somewhat classic step through styling (could be swayed into a modern style though)...a smaller form factor (not looking for a huge highway couch on wheels)...good performance, speed and agility...good reliability...low maintenance...easy to maintain and work on...low cost...aftermarket parts availability...maybe the ability to have a rear rack to carry things...i could go either way as far as fuel injection goes...i like the simplicity of a carb as far as repairs go but i like the efficiency of fuel injection...i have been poking around on craigslist for used scooters but would buy one new if it comes to that...i have been looking at the following brands...are there any other brands i should look at or any on my list that i shouldn't look at?...i know this site is biased but i figured i would ask anyway...any advice would be appreciated...thanks

genuine (like the buddy line)
honda (not much i like in the size engine i'm looking at, maybe if they made the metropolitan with a bigger engine)
yamaha (like the look of the vino 125 better than the buddy 125 but i read the performance of the buddy 125 is better, the zuma 125 seems like the honda civic of scooters)
piaggio (don't know much about them other than they are italian so i assume parts would have to be ordered online and would be more expensive)
vespa (seem like you pay for the name...assume parts would have to be ordered online and would be more expensive)
aprilia (not much i like the look of in the size engine i'm looking at)
suzuki (not much i like the look of in the size engine i'm looking at)
sym/lance (haven't really looked at them much...not sure on reliability)
kymco (haven't really looked at them much...not sure on reliability)

right now i'm leaning towards a buddy 125 cause it seems like the best bang for the buck...only see a couple on carigslist and neither are near me...have seen some nice vespas on craigslists as well (s150, gts250, lx150ie, et4, gtv300ie, gt200)...a few vino125 scooters which i don't like where the gas cap is under where a luggage rack would be

how does the buddy 170i have a larger engine than the 125 but only 5phm faster top speed?...is the 170 noticeably quicker to accelerate?

my previous rides:
?? indian moped
03 honda cbr 600rr
05 honda cbr 600rr
00 yamaha tw200
08 husqvarna sm510r
10 triumph bonneville se (for sale)
Last edited by Point37 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

The Lance/Sym scoots are good deals. The Italian bikes are cool, but yes, parts and labor are $$$. The Honda and Yamaha bikes have a large number of dealers, but aren’t as much fun, IMHO. The Buddy 125 would be a good choice if you fit on it. I am 5 11, and I fit just fine, but some taller riders feel cramped. The 170 is the same size, and isn’t really all that much faster, but it does have FIi, if that’s important.
I think that practically speaking, if you have a Sym/Lance or Genuine dealer in your area, either would be a good choice, with Genuine having an edge in the accessibility of parts. If you don’t have dealers in the area, I’d go with the Honda PCX. It may be lacking in “soul�, but it is a good reliable scoot that will probably run forever. Be aware, though, that the plastic “body� panels are hard to get off, making maintence tedious and expensive. If you work on your own bikes, the simplicity and ease of access make the Buddy hard to beat. If you want to have a passenger, the PCX or a Lance would be better choices.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Welcome to the forum. I think you're heading in the right direction. The Buddy 125 is a great scooter. I've owned 2 125's and 1 170i. I like the 125 better. Mine was smoother than the 170i. I found the performance difference to be negligible. My 170i did go into limp mode a couple of times after a full throttle stint on the freeway during the summer. If you get a chance to test ride a Vespa LX150 or newer sprint, give it a whirl. If you can find a LX150 for close to what a Buddy sells for, go for it. They are awesome scooters. Bigger than the Buddy, probably a bit more comfortable for you, being at 6', than the Buddy.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Clydeo wrote:The Lance/Sym scoots are good deals. The Italian bikes are cool, but yes, parts and labor are $$$. The Honda and Yamaha bikes have a large number of dealers, but aren’t as much fun, IMHO. The Buddy 125 would be a good choice if you fit on it. I am 5 11, and I fit just fine, but some taller riders feel cramped. The 170 is the same size, and isn’t really all that much faster, but it does have FIi, if that’s important.
I think that practically speaking, if you have a Sym/Lance or Genuine dealer in your area, either would be a good choice, with Genuine having an edge in the accessibility of parts. If you don’t have dealers in the area, I’d go with the Honda PCX. It may be lacking in “soul�, but it is a good reliable scoot that will probably run forever. Be aware, though, that the plastic “body� panels are hard to get off, making maintence tedious and expensive. If you work on your own bikes, the simplicity and ease of access make the Buddy hard to beat. If you want to have a passenger, the PCX or a Lance would be better choices.
thanks for the info...how is it working on an italian bike vs genuine or lance/sym?...

yea honda and yamaha seem pretty vanilla...i would imagine the pcx is probably reliable being a honda but it's a little ugly, a little large of a form factor for a 150 as compared to others, not a true step through and doesn't have that classic style so i'd pass on it...if it doesn't have "soul" and the plastics are a pain to deal with that's more than enough for me to pass on it...i'd be more apt to go after a yamaha vino 125 but it doesn't sound like there is much as far as aftermarket parts for it...i would try to do most of the wrenching myself but i'd rather buy reliable so i have to do as little wrenching as possible...not really worried about a passenger...if there isn't much difference in performance between the 125 and 170i i'd go for the 125...carbs are easy to work with than electronics...still leaning towards the buddy 125
DeeDee wrote:Welcome to the forum. I think you're heading in the right direction. The Buddy 125 is a great scooter. I've owned 2 125's and 1 170i. I like the 125 better. Mine was smoother than the 170i. I found the performance difference to be negligible. My 170i did go into limp mode a couple of times after a full throttle stint on the freeway during the summer. If you get a chance to test ride a Vespa LX150 or newer sprint, give it a whirl. If you can find a LX150 for close to what a Buddy sells for, go for it. They are awesome scooters. Bigger than the Buddy, probably a bit more comfortable for you, being at 6', than the Buddy.
thanks for the comparison and info...this is what i can find used in my area that has the more classic styling...a lot of used vespas...could get a older used one in the price range of a new buddy 125...i just wonder if it's really worth it...older, parts cost higher, less support in my area...and some of these would require a serious road trip so they are not really in my area...the only one of these i would consider is the first one...

https://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ ... 03171.html
https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2 ... 66092.html
https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/d/20 ... 71327.html
https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/d/v ... 39464.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/d ... 67773.html
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ ... 04408.html
https://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ ... 64653.html
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2 ... 05782.html

only find 2 buddy 125s...one looks a little beat and both are too far away to justify the drive
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-ge ... 52426.html
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/genuine ... 96219.html

a new buddy 125 is $2700+...

https://www.jmrhonda.com/new-models/gen ... 4856140034

https://www.wagnermotorsport.com/new-mo ... 6452573442
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

There will be a lot more bikes available in Spring, as people buy new ones. Really nice bikes for really good prices are sometimes posted on this forum.
I haven’t worked on modern Vespas, just old ones back in the 70’s. They were simple. Evidently the new ones are not. I have heard from several mechanics in the area that they are a royal pain to work on, mainly due to some rather bizarre engineering. But I have to admit that I have no personal experience with them. But I KNOW that the Buddy’s are easy to work on!
Somewhere on this site is a comparison between a.Buddy and aVesps/Piaggio (same company). I think it’s in the review section. It compares the handling differences rather well. Buddy’s aren’t perfect, but riding on one makes you feel like a kid again!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Can you do your own maintenance? I replaced my Buddy 170i with a Vespa GT200. Buddy is made by PGO, who gets its name from Piaggio. PGO was a manufacturer for Vespa for over a decade. I believe the Buddy 125, dollar for dollar, is the best scooter out there. If you are patient, and can find a clean LX150 for not much more, I'd get the Vespa. I like scooters with a carburetor. Fuel injection is great as long as it's working like it should, and you have deep pockets should something go wrong. My GT200 is carbed, and I will take it from 5,000 feet elevation to 11,000 feet elevation in one day with no problems. The vespa and buddy fuel system on Carbed scooters is very reliable. What it comes down to: you have to test ride a number of scooters, and decide where you get the most joy for your cash. I resign myself to a 2 month test ride. I've bought and sold a number of scooters looking for the right one for me.

When you add a Vespa GTS250 into the mix, it becomes a whole different question. I beleive it's fair to look at a LX150 in the same frame as a Buddy 125. GTS250 is a whole different deal.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

See if you can get this 2009 for $2,000. Make a bunch of noise about needing new tires, and fuel lines (not).
Attachments
00G0G_keGOvNTjkMj_1200x900.jpg
00G0G_keGOvNTjkMj_1200x900.jpg (98.81 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Clydeo wrote:There will be a lot more bikes available in Spring, as people buy new ones. Really nice bikes for really good prices are sometimes posted on this forum.
I haven’t worked on modern Vespas, just old ones back in the 70’s. They were simple. Evidently the new ones are not. I have heard from several mechanics in the area that they are a royal pain to work on, mainly due to some rather bizarre engineering. But I have to admit that I have no personal experience with them. But I KNOW that the Buddy’s are easy to work on!
Somewhere on this site is a comparison between a.Buddy and aVesps/Piaggio (same company). I think it’s in the review section. It compares the handling differences rather well. Buddy’s aren’t perfect, but riding on one makes you feel like a kid again!
thanks...this doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about a newer vespa
DeeDee wrote:Can you do your own maintenance? I replaced my Buddy 170i with a Vespa GT200. Buddy is made by PGO, who gets its name from Piaggio. PGO was a manufacturer for Vespa for over a decade. I believe the Buddy 125, dollar for dollar, is the best scooter out there. If you are patient, and can find a clean LX150 for not much more, I'd get the Vespa. I like scooters with a carburetor. Fuel injection is great as long as it's working like it should, and you have deep pockets should something go wrong. My GT200 is carbed, and I will take it from 5,000 feet elevation to 11,000 feet elevation in one day with no problems. The vespa and buddy fuel system on Carbed scooters is very reliable. What it comes down to: you have to test ride a number of scooters, and decide where you get the most joy for your cash. I resign myself to a 2 month test ride. I've bought and sold a number of scooters looking for the right one for me.

When you add a Vespa GTS250 into the mix, it becomes a whole different question. I beleive it's fair to look at a LX150 in the same frame as a Buddy 125. GTS250 is a whole different deal.
thanks...i typically will do my own maintenance but i'd like my choice to be as low maintenance as possible as well as the least time consuming...so if a buddy is better than a vespa as far as needing maintenance and engineered to maintain it more easily i'd lean that way...i like efi but am more comfortable with a simple 1 lung carb as far as maintenance goes...easy to rebuild and easy to clean in my ultrasonic cleaner

from what i've read the vespa lx150 and the buddy 125 are pretty comparable as far as what i'm looking to do...anything larger cc wise and i'm typically looking at a more expensive option which def isn't comparable as well as probably overkill for my needs...the only way i would go this way is if the price was right
DeeDee wrote:See if you can get this 2009 for $2,000. Make a bunch of noise about needing new tires, and fuel lines (not).
this is pretty much the only one of the ads that i would go for...very clean and doesn't look like it's seen much use at all...i just don't want the aggravation of the extra maintenance which isn't really easy to do...and if he doesn't budge on the price and i'm looking at $2500 for a 9 year old lx150 not knowing the maintenance history vs $2700+ for a brand new buddy 125 with a warranty...it almost makes the buddy look like the better choice, no?...even at $2000 for the lx150 i feel like the buddy 125 would be worth the extra cash just for the 2 warranty, 1 year roadside assistance and no having to worry about the maintenance history

also the closest vespa dealer to me is 45 miles away and who knows if they would have parts in stock for a 9 year old scooter and waiting for them to come in may take a while...the closest genuine dealer is 16 miles away (but they don't seem to carry the buddy 125 but i would imagine they could still order parts if i couldn't get them online or i needed some info before buying online http://thescooterpalace.com/ )...the next closest genuine dealer that does carry the buddy 125 is 47 miles away

no multi-quote buttons on this forum?
Clydeo

Dealers

Post by Clydeo »

Scooters are going through a period where relatively little interest, so many Genuine (and Vespa) dealers are not fully stocked with bikes, as they are afraid that they won’t be able to sell them. That will quickly change if the price of gas keeps going up.
Buddy’s don’t require much maintenence, other than regular oil changes. Tires don’t last as long as motorcycle tires do, as their smaller size means that the turn faster per given speed than larger tires. The carbs work well, but you have to treat the fuel over winter or when it will be sitting for very long. The valves need adjusting but that’s simple. If you want to know more, the service manual for Buddy’s is on this site, under resources, I think. Just keep clicking on things and you will find it.
Point37

Re: Dealers

Post by Point37 »

Clydeo wrote:Scooters are going through a period where relatively little interest, so many Genuine (and Vespa) dealers are not fully stocked with bikes, as they are afraid that they won’t be able to sell them. That will quickly change if the price of gas keeps going up.
Buddy’s don’t require much maintenence, other than regular oil changes. Tires don’t last as long as motorcycle tires do, as their smaller size means that the turn faster per given speed than larger tires. The carbs work well, but you have to treat the fuel over winter or when it will be sitting for very long. The valves need adjusting but that’s simple. If you want to know more, the service manual for Buddy’s is on this site, under resources, I think. Just keep clicking on things and you will find it.
thanks

are oil changes somewhat quick to do?

are the tires tubed or tubeless?...not too worried either way, just curious

i typically add seafoam to every tank of fuel...is the buddy tank metal or plastic?...also does the buddy have a fuel shut off valve?...if the tank is plastic i may siphon off the fuel from the tank and drain the remaining fuel in the lines through the carb bowl to store for the winter in my garage that way i don't have to worry about the fuel degrading or screwing up the carb...if it has a fuel shut off and a metal tank i'll kill the fuel and let it run till it dies then i'll pull the bowl and drain the fuel from the lines and top off the tank so there is no air for oxidization to occur and add seafoam

what type of valves are they?...the adjustable kind or the shim kind?
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I have the Buddy 125 and it's a good scooter and easy to work on. But, if I were a guy 6' tall I think I'd go with something with larger wheels. less cramped. The Buddy has 10" wheels. You really cannot carry a passenger comfortably.
How people ride WOT on those 10" wheels is beyond me. I would be white knuckled the whole time.
I'm thinking the Buddy 125 will be too small for you.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

ucandoit wrote:I have the Buddy 125 and it's a good scooter and easy to work on. But, if I were a guy 6' tall I think I'd go with something with larger wheels. less cramped. The Buddy has 10" wheels. You really cannot carry a passenger comfortably.
How people ride WOT on those 10" wheels is beyond me. I would be white knuckled the whole time.
I'm thinking the Buddy 125 will be too small for you.
thanks...def want to take a test ride first...didn't really enjoy riding 2up on a motorcycle so i'm sure i def won't be doing it on a scooter...yea i'll have to see how much leg room i have on it first and how it handles...if it doesn't work out i may be looking at that vespa lx150
Point37

Post by Point37 »

it does look like the vespa would be a little better for my height...the handle bars seem very low on the buddy...my arms would be angled down...while on the vespa my arms would be much closer to horizontal...i would also have more knee room on the vespa but i guess that depends more on where i sit on the saddle

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Last edited by Point37 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clydeo

Q and A

Post by Clydeo »

Valves: 2, screw adjustments, easy access
Tires: tubeless, except for the 50cc bikes
Carb: auto cutoff, autochoke, gravity feed
Gas tank: plastic. You could probably drain it via the carb line
Oil change: easy, pull the plug and drain. I forget what it does for a filter; I have several bikes and it’s hard to recall every detail.
Rear gear oil: same. Drain and replace easy to reach

I would strongly recommend reading the manual as it is undoubtably more accurate than my memory is.

As far as the wheels go, I keep the speed down to 50 most of the time. On all scooter wheel size kind of defines the whole riding experience. Small wheels give scooters that amazingly rapid response to steering inputs. It seems like all you have to do is look in a direction in order to turn. Small wheels give a scooter a real sport car feel. Bigger wheels give a bike a more sedate motorcycle feel. I never felt like my Buddy was unstable, but it does respond very quickly!
Point37

Re: Q and A

Post by Point37 »

Clydeo wrote:Valves: 2, screw adjustments, easy access
Tires: tubeless, except for the 50cc bikes
Carb: auto cutoff, autochoke, gravity feed
Gas tank: plastic. You could probably drain it via the carb line
Oil change: easy, pull the plug and drain. I forget what it does for a filter; I have several bikes and it’s hard to recall every detail.
Rear gear oil: same. Drain and replace easy to reach

I would strongly recommend reading the manual as it is undoubtably more accurate than my memory is.

As far as the wheels go, I keep the speed down to 50 most of the time. On all scooter wheel size kind of defines the whole riding experience. Small wheels give scooters that amazingly rapid response to steering inputs. It seems like all you have to do is look in a direction in order to turn. Small wheels give a scooter a real sport car feel. Bigger wheels give a bike a more sedate motorcycle feel. I never felt like my Buddy was unstable, but it does respond very quickly!
thanks...seems like an easy to maintain ride...i just found the manual and downloaded it so i can read up...if the fuel is gravity fed i can always cut in a fuel shut off before the carb but if it's located under plastic covers and i have no easy access to reach in then it's not worth it i guess
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Point37, don't let the maintenance on the Vespa scare you off. The small frame is much easier to work on than the GT or GTS. There is an access hatch for valve adjustments. Maintenance intervals are long on these scooters.
Vespa parts are easier to find than Buddy parts. The ergonomics on the Vespa are outstanding. Long comfy saddle with plenty of room. Good seat and handlebar height. There are riders on Modern Vespa with over 70,000 miles on these scooters. If you ride it, and down the road decide you want more power, you can do a big bore kit and head to push it near 200cc without losing reliability or longevity. All this said, I love Buddy 125, but Vespa...It's where it all began. I wouldn't pay a huge premium over the Buddy for the Vespa, but if it's in your price range, give it some thought.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

DeeDee wrote:Point37, don't let the maintenance on the Vespa scare you off. The small frame is much easier to work on than the GT or GTS. There is an access hatch for valve adjustments. Maintenance intervals are long on these scooters. Vespa parts are easier to find than Buddy parts. The ergonomics on the Vespa are outstanding. Long comfy saddle with plenty of room. Good seat and handlebar height. There are riders on Modern Vespa with over 70,000 miles on these scooters. If you ride it, and down the road decide you want more power, you can do a big bore kit and head to push it near 200cc without losing reliability or longevity. All this said, I love Buddy 125, but Vespa...It's where it all began. I wouldn't pay a huge premium over the Buddy for the Vespa, but if it's in your price range, give it some thought.
I agree, the Vespa and other Piaggio built scooters including the Aprilia are among the best designed and built scooters on the market. Piaggio is the largest builder of scooters around, so they know what they are doing and parts are not difficult to obtain. If the premium price of the metal bodied Vespas scares you off, the plastic panel Piaggios such as the Fly and the Liberty have essentially the same mechanical parts for less money.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I think your best bet is to find a used Buddy 125 and kit it.

Modern Vespa scooters are very nice but in my opinion not more reliable that other good brands and are know to have their problems (exhaust gaskets, fuel pumps etc.)

Personally I like an MV for cruising. I do not find them as maneuverable at low speeds as other similar displacement scooters.

Don't get me wrong...they are nice...but also expensive. There is also the plus minus of a metal bodied scooter. It makes for a stiff frame but if you drop it you are into body work and paint. You can get full replacement panels for a Buddy for about $400 and change them out yourself.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Point37

Post by Point37 »

DeeDee wrote:Point37, don't let the maintenance on the Vespa scare you off. The small frame is much easier to work on than the GT or GTS. There is an access hatch for valve adjustments. Maintenance intervals are long on these scooters.
Vespa parts are easier to find than Buddy parts. The ergonomics on the Vespa are outstanding. Long comfy saddle with plenty of room. Good seat and handlebar height. There are riders on Modern Vespa with over 70,000 miles on these scooters. If you ride it, and down the road decide you want more power, you can do a big bore kit and head to push it near 200cc without losing reliability or longevity. All this said, I love Buddy 125, but Vespa...It's where it all began. I wouldn't pay a huge premium over the Buddy for the Vespa, but if it's in your price range, give it some thought.
thanks...that 2009 you posted the photo of above only has under 400 miles on it...i'm thinking i have to swing by a buddy dealer and see if i can get a test ride...and then see if that guy with the 2009 will let me test ride it...but its not so much the maintenance scaring me its more efficiency and time to me...i hate having to pull a bunch of things apart to be able to do something simple...if the lx150 is engineered well and its easy to access everything for normal maintenance then i'm all for it...seems it's really going to come down to the ride and the price...and everything i have read is saying that the buddy is more fun than the vespa...more responsive, nimble, easier turn in, lower center of gravity, lighter, bigger under seat storage and smaller...the vespa is more refined, smooth, better suspension, higher handlebars, better rear rack, higher center of gravity and better resale...i just find it really hard to go for a 9 year old used vespa with really low mileage and no idea how it was maintained over a new buddy that sounds like more fun to ride...but i think i'm going to have to take both for a spin to really know what i want
Dooglas wrote: I agree, the Vespa and other Piaggio built scooters including the Aprilia are among the best designed and built scooters on the market. Piaggio is the largest builder of scooters around, so they know what they are doing and parts are not difficult to obtain. If the premium price of the metal bodied Vespas scares you off, the plastic panel Piaggios such as the Fly and the Liberty have essentially the same mechanical parts for less money.
i think it's more the classic look of the vespa and the somewhat classic look of the buddy that i like more than the fly and liberty...since i'm mostly bopping around town i just want something that's fun to rip around on but can still carry a little bit with me if needed
BuddyRaton wrote:I think your best bet is to find a used Buddy 125 and kit it.

Modern Vespa scooters are very nice but in my opinion not more reliable that other good brands and are know to have their problems (exhaust gaskets, fuel pumps etc.)

Personally I like an MV for cruising. I do not find them as maneuverable at low speeds as other similar displacement scooters.

Don't get me wrong...they are nice...but also expensive. There is also the plus minus of a metal bodied scooter. It makes for a stiff frame but if you drop it you are into body work and paint. You can get full replacement panels for a Buddy for about $400 and change them out yourself.
what do you mean by "kit it"?...get an engine kit for the buddy 125 more ccs?...how big do they go and are these reliable?...the plastic panels is another reason i like the idea of a buddy...easy/cheap to replace panels if scratched...

too bad this one is not my flavor color-wise...but for $400 a full set of plastics maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea...or maybe just remove them all and just sand it and rattle can the panels and trunk...has anyone done this?...or maybe even a diy bedliner applied would look cool...i've seen it look good on motorcycles with plastic panels...also has anyone ever found any under-hang mirrors that work with these handlebars?...the mickey mouse ear mirrors drive me nuts

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ ... 82937.html

it would have to be a paint job...changing out all the colored panels would be too expensive...
http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/genu ... bodypanels

buddy 161cc engine kit
https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Cyli ... P1027.aspx

lx150 190cc engine kit
https://www.scooterworks.com/Malossi-Cy ... P6988.aspx

found these comparisons...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic4835.html

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic121202
Last edited by Point37 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Ride a Buddy, ride a LX150. Both comparable scooters in terms of ease of maintenance and performance. See which one you like the best. See where you can get the most for your money. Ride it for 3 months before you start thinking about tearing the engine apart. 150cc carbureted Vespas do not have fuel pump and exhaust gasket problems. There are loads of support on both MB and MV. There are loads of quality youtube videos showing you just about every aspect of routine maintenance on both these machines. If you can change an air filter and do an oil change in your car, there is no reason you can not perform all your own maintenance. A basic metric tool set, an $11.00 Harbor Freight torque wrench, a set of feeler guages, and a couple of specialty tools for belt change and CVT maintenance, and you will never have to set foot in the $100/hour scooter shop.

Both of those links at the bottom of your post comparing the two just about say it all. At 6', I think you will find the Vespa more comfortable. It's time to go ride each.
Last edited by DeeDee on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

DeeDee wrote:Ride a Buddy, ride a LX150. Both comparable scooters in terms of ease of maintenance and performance. See which one you like the best. See where you can get the most for your money. Ride it for 3 months before you start thinking about tearing the engine apart. 150cc carbureted Vespas do not have fuel pump and exhaust gasket problems. There are loads of support on both MB and MV. There are loads of quality youtube videos showing you just about every aspect of routine maintenance on both these machines. If you can change an air filter and do an oil change in your car, there is no reason you can not perform all your own maintenance. A basic metric tool set, an $11.00 Harbor Freight torque wrench, a set of feeler guages, and a couple of specialty tools for belt change and CVT maintenance, and you will never have to set foot in the $100/hour scooter shop.
thanks...this is probably going to be my approach...i think it will come down to price and ride...i probably wouldn't tear the engine apart for a couple seasons, if ever...i never did anything to my motorcycles for a while after i got them to see if it was just an adjustment period or it was something that i really wanted to change...i figure things are built to be reliable and to blow the engine up to a 160cc just for a few extra ccs and some fun and possibly make it less reliable isn't worth it to me...just nice to know that it's an option down the road
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This might be worth a look. All those assinine stickers are going to scare off potential buyers. See if you can get it for $1200. Maybe replace or paint the front legshield and two rear body panels with gloss black to make it two-tone.
Attachments
2013, 2400 miles
2013, 2400 miles
01111_4kKQDn7bX4v_1200x900.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
Point37

Post by Point37 »

DeeDee wrote:This might be worth a look. All those assinine stickers are going to scare off potential buyers. See if you can get it for $1200. Maybe replace or paint the front legshield and two rear body panels with gloss black to make it two-tone.
i hate the color so i'd have to either replace them all or remove them all, sand them and then paint them...i much rather replace them as far as time goes but it's too expensive...and i know a rattle can job will come out not looking great and take a lot of time which i don't really have at the moment...but it's on my CL watch list

to replace all the teal panels it would cost...plus i'd have to just sell the trunk or rattle can it

$97.00 front panel
$83.00 top handlebar cover
$129.00 lower front cover (wheel well area)
$67.00 left rear cover
$67.00 right rear cover
$67.00 front fender
$39.85 cover below tail light
$50.80 left lower side
$50.80 right lower side
$651.45 TOTAL (without tax & shipping)

edit: requested an out the door price quote on a new buddy just to get an idea on what i would be looking at money-wise new
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

I had similar experience (motorcycles) and goals. I went with Hooligan. It has a little more room than the Buddy, bigger wheels and longer wheelbase. The 170 fi accelerates as fast or faster than average drivers and goes fast enough to handle higher speed limits (fast enough for highway but frame/body/suspension doesn’t feel meant for those speeds for long). If I were doing it over aid do the same thing. I worked on an FI bike so I’m not afraid of troubleshooting when necessary. I like the throttle response and don’t miss carb smoothness, nor do I miss cleaning carbs.
Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

I have a hunch that Yamaha will have better plastic, paint, suspension, and overall build quality. Genuine doesn’t seem bad but it’s nothing compared to Japanes motorcycles - even old ones.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

It really comes down to what you want. I still think a Buddy 125 is the best bang for the buck you can get. And yes...run it stock to start. A Buddy 125 is a quick stock scooter.

Then if you decide you want a liiiiiittle more..you can kit it.

Bocette wanted a new scooter that had a little more power. So instead of buying a scooter I opened up the air box, put on the 161 kit, NCY pipe. 26mm carb and it gave it a big kick. Have about 4K miles on the kit no problem.

Modern Vespas are really just different. They are beautiful, they are very well built, they are powerful.

They are sexy! well almost all are sexy...well except maybe for the GTR...I like the concept of a modern retro fenderlight but it was like..."Let's do a cool Redro modern! We suck a light on the fender...we're done!" But they are a really nice ride! And the 946 just doesn't do it for me...I mean it like really really doesn't do it for me! An Ape does more for me than a 946. Then again..a 1968 Vwspa SS180 has the best looking rear end of any scooter!

I digress.

I don't think either is better or worse...just different. Both are well built reliable machines. As suggested try to ride both. It's really personal preference.

I wouldn't rule out a used Vespa ET4. Older, low price, nice ride similar to Budddy and very reliable.
Last edited by BuddyRaton on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm with DeeDee...go 1,200 to 1,300 on the seafoam (I had an 09 150 and liked that color)

There are several threads on painting and some people have done some slick stuff with Krylon!

Keep us updated! We love scooter hunts!
www.teamscootertrash.com

lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Genuines are not hard to get parts for imo. Usually my dealer has what I need. If he doesn't then all the parts are in stock in chicago at genuine 2-3 days shipping. The local vespa dealer stocks belts and filters. Not much more. I've had my buddy 7 years and ran it really hard and have had lots of laughs on it. Its also hauled lots of groceries. Vespa will have less rattles over time but its also easier to dent. The buddy is more fun to modify. The buddy 125 weighs 230lbs, its got a small bore long stroke gy6 which makes it have good off the line acceleration. The buddy is smaller and looks like a 50cc allowing me to park it anywhere in kansas city. I always put it beside the front door at the grocery store.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Aloha Joe wrote:I had similar experience (motorcycles) and goals. I went with Hooligan. It has a little more room than the Buddy, bigger wheels and longer wheelbase. The 170 fi accelerates as fast or faster than average drivers and goes fast enough to handle higher speed limits (fast enough for highway but frame/body/suspension doesn’t feel meant for those speeds for long). If I were doing it over aid do the same thing. I worked on an FI bike so I’m not afraid of troubleshooting when necessary. I like the throttle response and don’t miss carb smoothness, nor do I miss cleaning carbs.
the hooligan is nice as well but yea i would rather stick with a carb'd scooter and i do like the classic style and the small form factor of the 125
Aloha Joe wrote:I have a hunch that Yamaha will have better plastic, paint, suspension, and overall build quality. Genuine doesn’t seem bad but it’s nothing compared to Japanes motorcycles - even old ones.
i have no doubt that the fit and finish are better with yamaha or honda or any of the big 4 companies but other than the vino i don't find any of the styles appealing and they seem very vanilla from what i'm reading, no excitement...if i keep it garaged i'm sure it will stay in pretty good shape for a while
BuddyRaton wrote:It really comes down to what you want. I still think a Buddy 125 is the best bang for the buck you can get. And yes...run it stock to start. A Buddy 125 is a quick stock scooter.

Then if you decide you want a liiiiiittle more..you can kit it.

Bocette wanted a new scooter that had a little more power. So instead of buying a scooter I opened up the air box, put on the 161 kit, NCY pipe. 26mm carb and it gave it a big kick. Have about 4K miles on the kit no problem.

Modern Vespas are really just different. They are beautiful, they are very well built, they are powerful.

They are sexy! well almost all are sexy...well except maybe for the GTR...I like the concept of a modern retro fenderlight but it was like..."Let's do a cool Redro modern! We suck a light on the fender...we're done!" But they are a really nice ride! And the 946 just doesn't do it for me...I mean it like really really doesn't do it for me! An Ape does more for me than a 946. Then again..a 1968 Vwspa SS180 has the best looking rear end of any scooter!

I digress.

I don't think either is better or worse...just different. Both are well built reliable machines. As suggested try to ride both. It's really personal preference.

I wouldn't rule out a used Vespa ET4. Older, low price, nice ride similar to Budddy and very reliable.
there is an et4 but it only has 5 miles on it and the owner is advertising higher than what i would want to spend for one...at the moment i'm just keeping an eye out to see what's out there and see what prices are like and learn as much as i can on here...lots of very helpful and knowledgeable people on here...at the moment i can't do much right now anyway since we're in the middle of a nor'easter
BuddyRaton wrote:I'm with DeeDee...go 1,200 to 1,300 on the seafoam (I had an 09 150 and liked that color)

There are several threads on painting and some people have done some slick stuff with Krylon!

Keep us updated! We love scooter hunts!
this one is still on my list...i haven't ruled it out...i just know if i paint it the resale price is going down...i wonder if there is any way to strip the paint without having to sand
lovemysan wrote:Genuines are not hard to get parts for imo. Usually my dealer has what I need. If he doesn't then all the parts are in stock in chicago at genuine 2-3 days shipping. The local vespa dealer stocks belts and filters. Not much more. I've had my buddy 7 years and ran it really hard and have had lots of laughs on it. Its also hauled lots of groceries. Vespa will have less rattles over time but its also easier to dent. The buddy is more fun to modify. The buddy 125 weighs 230lbs, its got a small bore long stroke gy6 which makes it have good off the line acceleration. The buddy is smaller and looks like a 50cc allowing me to park it anywhere in kansas city. I always put it beside the front door at the grocery store.
i don't mind ordering parts online and i would typically keep a few oil filters, air filters and any typical maintenance parts on hand so i have them ready to go...i really just have to take a ride on whatever i can find and see what puts a bigger smile on my face

this is what's around...and a lot of these are more than i'd like to pay...scratched up vespas are out...salvage title vespa is out...the 200cc+ scooters are out, just not my style, typically more money and more than i really need...a lot of these are far from me as well...

just the ease of replacing a plastic buddy panel is almost enough for me to want to rule out vespas...at the moment the red 09 buddy (135 miles away) and the teal 13 buddy (67 miles away) are in the lead...wish those distances were reversed...also depends on title status...here i would need at least a previous registration and a bill of sale at a minimum to be able to register it here...would like a title though

vespa
https://nwct.craigslist.org/mcy/d/vespa ... 35370.html
https://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ ... 03171.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/d ... 67773.html
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/d/v ... 29817.html
https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/d/20 ... 71327.html
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2012ves ... 10607.html
https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/vesp ... 83136.html
https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2 ... 66092.html
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2 ... 05782.html

misc
https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/d/c ... 68195.html
https://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/d ... 14929.html
https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009 ... 01000.html

buddy
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2012-ge ... 12123.html
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/genuine ... 96219.html
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-ge ... 52426.html
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/d/b ... 38544.html

from facebook marketplace (may be some repeats)...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 0067145815

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 0217410457

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 2008474079

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 2268193024

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 3245872506

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 9862661974

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 4391495401

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 9418523920
Point37

Post by Point37 »

leaning towards this one...

looking at doing this right away...does anyone know what color is under the color coats of paint?...is it just black or white plastic?...if so i may just leave it and not paint it...kind of like a rat rod...could always paint or plastidip it later...any issues with something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmqkuMvxJc
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

The Seafoam Green was a standard Buddy color, so likely original. The matching topcase also looks OEM.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

HowHH wrote:The Seafoam Green was a standard Buddy color, so likely original. The matching topcase also looks OEM.
thanks, i know it's a stock color...but i was wondering if i remove the oem paint what color is the plastic underneath the paint?...i'm debating on removing the oem paint with a chemical paint stripper and just leaving it as whatever the bare plastic color is...i haven't been able to find any photos of paint stripped plastic body panels on here or rashed panels that show the actual color of the plastics through the scratches
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Under the paint, the panels are a sort of dull gray plastic. What about that rubberized paint that peels off without too much fuss? That way you can play with a few colors before committing to anything.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Point37 wrote:...but i was wondering if i remove the oem paint what color is the plastic underneath the paint?...i'm debating on removing the oem paint with a chemical paint stripper and just leaving it as whatever the bare plastic color is...i haven't been able to find any photos of paint stripped plastic body panels on here or rashed panels that show the actual color of the plastics through the scratches
Don't bother to spend all that time stripping the paint. The look of the unpainted panels isn't worth it in my opinion. Better to spend your time removing the panels, prepping them, and repainting in whatever color or combo you choose. Rattle can paint jobs can look pretty good if you are careful. If you are more demanding, a local shop will shoot the disassembled and prepped panels for you fairly cheaply.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Stanza wrote:Under the paint, the panels are a sort of dull gray plastic. What about that rubberized paint that peels off without too much fuss? That way you can play with a few colors before committing to anything.

i thought about plastidip...which may be the route i end up going...it wouldn't require sanding and prepping and can be peeled off after...the downside is it's not permanent and will scratch easy and would require more time if i wanted to paint it permanently

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
Last edited by Point37 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Dooglas wrote: Don't bother to spend all that time stripping the paint. The look of the unpainted panels isn't worth it in my opinion. Better to spend your time removing the panels, prepping them, and repainting in whatever color or combo you choose. Rattle can paint jobs can look pretty good if you are careful. If you are more demanding, a local shop will shoot the disassembled and prepped panels for you fairly cheaply.
it wouldn't take long to take the panels off and messily spray them with an aircraft grade paint stripper and just wash/wipe the paint off and put them back on...the next level of effort would be to take the plastics off clean them and just plastidip paint them without prepping the plastic and put them back on...the next level of effort would be to remove the plastics, sand/prep them and paint multiple coats of color and then clear coat over them...i just was curious as to what a stripped panel looks like...it doesn't have to look good cause anything will look better than seafoam green in my opinion...i'm just looking to spend the least amount of time possible and just enjoy riding it...wait until some winter and paint it the right way
Syd

Post by Syd »

IF you can live with modern styling, and you have an SYM dealer nearby, have a look at the SYM HD200. Carb'd 171cc engine that runs like most 250's.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The HD200 is a really underrated scooter. I had a 2008 that would smoke the doors off my GT200 Vespa. I shaved the seat, so it was more comfortable. I paid $1,300 for it with 2,500 miles. I couldn't get past the semi crotch rocket styling of it. I went on to 3 Buddies and a Kymco Like before I found a smokin' deal on my GT200. SYM suffers from brand awareness and a spotty dealer network. Great scooters though.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Thanks guys...the extra ccs would def be fun...I’m not a fan of the style of it...the closest dealer to me is 45 miles away in Boston which I wouldn’t want to deal with the traffic or parking to go there...next closest is in CT and next closest after that is in NH...the scooter itself is 93 miles from me in NH...it’s on the list but not very high...never understood why they round up to 200 for a 171cc instead of calling it a 170
Clydeo

Boston scootering

Post by Clydeo »

When I was a college student in the Boston area (Quincy, my home town) back in the early 80’s, I had a 50cc Vespa. My wife and I rode that bike everywhere. Even at 50ccs I was faster than most of the traffic (not really an amazing feat: joggers could usually keep up with traffic as well). Unless Boston traffic has markedly improved in that past few decades (wow, I was actually able to type that without falling in a fit of hysterical laughter), a 125 ought to be more than adequate.
Point37

Re: Boston scootering

Post by Point37 »

Clydeo wrote:When I was a college student in the Boston area (Quincy, my home town) back in the early 80’s, I had a 50cc Vespa. My wife and I rode that bike everywhere. Even at 50ccs I was faster than most of the traffic (not really an amazing feat: joggers could usually keep up with traffic as well). Unless Boston traffic has markedly improved in that past few decades (wow, I was actually able to type that without falling in a fit of hysterical laughter), a 125 ought to be more than adequate.
i commute through providence on the highway daily in traffic and i hate it...commuting to boston is 10 times worse...i avoid driving around both cities and cities in general like the plague...too many cars and too many people and too little parking...sometimes i drive out of my way (within reason) when i need something just to avoid these cities if i can find what i need elsewhere...but i agree a 50cc would be fine in a city...where i live people can drive faster due to it not being as congested which is why i want at least a 125cc to keep up with traffic and have a little extra 'get out of dodge' throttle and not be a speed bump for a soccer mom in her minivan texting to her friends...def want to go used but finding the right one that has some dealer support in my area that doesn't require driving too far to buy is quite a project...more than likely sooner or later i'll just have to bite the bullet...i just don't want to jump the gun since spring time isn't really here yet...but i am getting antsy at this point...also would like to sell my bonneville to see if i have some extra play money from the sale
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Point37 wrote:also are schwinn scooters any good?...just curious...saw this one...
One of the poorly made Chinascoots to be avoided in my opinion.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Dooglas wrote:
Point37 wrote:also are schwinn scooters any good?...just curious...saw this one...
One of the poorly made Chinascoots to be avoided in my opinion.
thanks...just read that they stopped making them in 2011...will cross that brand off my list

i also wish some of these brands had actual handlebars or at least a little space where i could put some underhang mirrors (if they don't hit my knees) and i'd love to drop some kind of speaker system on it that i could just plug one of these bluetooth receivers into and just wirelessly play some tunes from my cell phone or ipod...i have a feeling i'm going to get into customizing this scooter after a very little amount of time

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EH ... UTF8&psc=1
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Point37 wrote:i also wish some of these brands had actual handlebars or at least a little space where i could put some underhang mirrors (if they don't hit my knees)
The 125 Yamaha Vino that you mentioned previously has exposed bars and traditional styling, but has also been discontinued for several years. I owned one for a while and found it to be well built and very reliable. A Buddy 125 will run away from the Vino, however. :wink:
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The holy grail: Italian made, same Leader 150 engine as the LX150. Exposed chrome handlebars. An outstanding tribute to the Honda Joker.
Attachments
Aprilia Mojito 150
Aprilia Mojito 150
Screenshot 2018-03-16 at 12.13.13 PM.png (197.01 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Dooglas wrote: The 125 Yamaha Vino that you mentioned previously has exposed bars and traditional styling, but has also been discontinued for several years. I owned one for a while and found it to be well built and very reliable. A Buddy 125 will run away from the Vino, however. :wink:
haha exactly why i'm ruling out the vino...if it's not the best bang for the buck in the fun department i'll pass...plus the gas cap where a rear rack would go isn't exactly the smartest design...i do like the rest of the design though...the front of it looks good but the rear could be cleaned up a little...similar to the honda metropolitan
Point37

Post by Point37 »

DeeDee wrote:The holy grail: Italian made, same Leader 150 engine as the LX150. Exposed chrome handlebars. An outstanding tribute to the Honda Joker.
something about the headlight on the bars just doesn't look right to me...i like the way the vino looks with the headlight on the body and the bars and speedo separate but the mojito and the cali classic just don't do it for me with the headlight and the speedo on the bars...may be able to figure out how to mount a speaker in the buddy pocket...can make just about anything with this stuff...

https://www.instamorph.com/

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ ... 04408.html

https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/d/c ... 68195.html
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The Cali Classic is a quality scooter made by SYM. Best bang for your dollar is probably a Buddy 125. If you have the funds allowing the decision to be based on something other than pure logic, there are some real fun options out there.