Bought a used Buddy - what next?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

spurrito

Bought a used Buddy - what next?

Post by spurrito »

Hi everyone,

Bought a Buddy 150 Pamplona from a neighbor with 2800 miles on it. Neighbor had it parked for ~2 years and lost the key (but had the title). After getting the key redone by a locksmith, it fired right up. I've ridden it a couple of times and it idles a little rough so I ran seafoam through it a couple of nights ago. I did replace the air filter and am planning on doing an oil change (but oil level is healthy - no leaks).

I'm hoping I might get some advice on whether I should take it in to get it checked out or if anyone has a checklist as I'd prefer to save $ and do work myself.

Thank you! I spent weeks on this forum before offering to buy the scooter and I'm excited!
Point37

Post by Point37 »

what year is it?...i bought a used 2013 this past spring and did the following...

oil/filter change + oil screen check/clean
valve check
gear oil change
air filter check/clean/replace
fuel filter check/replace
tire pressure check
brake pads check/replace
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I'd add a brake fluid flush to the above list. I've seen original front brake pads go 10,000 miles +. Great scooter you picked up. They last a very long time.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Tire pressure check is a routine activity, but I'd probably recommend checking the valves as well - it's pretty easy.

If you haven't, run a little Seafoam through with your gas for a tank or two.

Otherwise, a two year old Buddy w/ 2800 miles is pretty young.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

JettaKnight wrote:Tire pressure check is a routine activity, but I'd probably recommend checking the valves as well - it's pretty easy. I don't recall offhand, but it shouldn't be due for a gear oil change yet. Same with brake fluid. I've got 14K on my brake pads, and I tend to ride pretty aggressive.

The belt and rollers should be fine as well.

If you haven't, run a little Seafoam through with your gas for a tank or two.

Otherwise, a two year old Buddy w/ 2800 miles is pretty young.
spurrito

Post by spurrito »

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I forgot to mention it's a 2008.

I asked for service history (only had a few docs - it was sitting in the driveway so didn't expect much) and am waiting to hear back. I believe they'd mentioned taking it in for major service to the local shop. I'll call to get any info.

This is my first scooter and I've ridden it a few times with no issues but I would guess it may need some work. If anyone can point me in the right direction to learn how to run the checks mentioned above (flush, clean, replace, etc.) I'd surely appreciate it!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

spurrito wrote:This is my first scooter and I've ridden it a few times with no issues but I would guess it may need some work. If anyone can point me in the right direction to learn how to run the checks mentioned above (flush, clean, replace, etc.) I'd surely appreciate it!
Fortunately you live in a town which has good Genuine Scooters service available. Unless you are an experienced scooter/motorcycle wrencher or find that the scoot has had a recent complete servicing, I'd suggest you take the scooter in to Vespa Portland (the Vespa, Piaggio, Genuine, Ural dealer) and have them help you start off correctly.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

spurrito wrote: This is my first scooter and I've ridden it a few times with no issues but I would guess it may need some work. If anyone can point me in the right direction to learn how to run the checks mentioned above (flush, clean, replace, etc.) I'd surely appreciate it!
these + youtube...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17349.html

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/forum9.html

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic10807.html