Better headlight bulb for Buddy 170i? (no LED)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

w6euh

Better headlight bulb for Buddy 170i? (no LED)

Post by w6euh »

Hi,
Any recommendations about something a little bit brighter than the stock bulb for the Buddy 170i?

I don't want to mess up with LEDs, but I guess there are other options?
(yellow-ish would be ok; I'm not very interested on super-white or blue-ish light.)

Would this Philips bulb work? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OW3V4A

Thanks!
Simo4181

Post by Simo4181 »

Jay, user thatvwbusguy (http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/profil ... le&u=10418), wrote this to me in an email when I asked him about this:
I don’t recommend replacing the headlight bulb with an LED based on the design of the headlight. Replacement LED headlights work fine with a projector lens, but the Buddy headlight uses a reflector housing that is specifically designed for use with a filament bulb.

Check the wattage on your current headlight bulb to see what is installed. If you have a 35/35W HS1 bulb, you should be able to safely swap in a Eiko 45/45W without making any changes to the wiring https://www.amazon.com/Eiko-4745-P43T-B ... B002CZ1CVC. I have been running this bulb on my wife’s 170i for 3 summers with zero issues. The other option that works really well (but is outrageously expensive) is the PIAA Super Plasma GT-X HS1 bulb: https://www.amazon.com/PIAA-70473-Super ... B001AHZBZ6

I ended up purchasing the Eiko 45/45W and it's been running great for me for the past few weeks. Not sure if this helps. :)
w6euh

Post by w6euh »

Thank you, Simo4181, and thanks to thatvwbusguy too!
Yes, I don't want an LED replacement, that's why I was considering that Philips bulb.
I guess the PIAA is probably much brighter, I know many scooter riders install it, but wasn't sure how would it work especifically with this Buddy :)
... Besides, I wasn't too convinced about it, because I don't like super-white or blue-ish lights, and also the reviews on Amazon weren't too favorable.

The EIKO bulb seems to be a good alternative, though!

Anyway, thanks so much!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If you must have the brightest bulb, you could try the silverstar ultras. I replaced my car headlights with those a while back, and they are the same color temperature as a regular bulb, but noticeably brighter. Methinks they overdrive the filament a bit, because the lifespan is about half that of a regular bulb. Take in your old one and match it up visually.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

PIAA Xtreme White HS1.

The Plasma GT-X is good as well, but has a slightly purple hue on low beam.

The former was bright enough to keep my friend from constantly running the high beam on his Helix.

I run the latter on my Kymco Yager, and it throws a very nice amount of light.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
w6euh

Post by w6euh »

Thanks stanza and az_slynch for your suggestions!

So far, a wide range of options: $12 to $45+, and a wide spectrum (literally) of light, too.

Maybe I'll start trying one of the less expensive options, in the intermediate range of the spectrum (less than 4000 K).

Found a couple of OSRAM bulbs (NIGHT RACER 50 and NIGHT RACER 90), but it seems that EIKO is going to be my first try.

Thanks again!