riding wear

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

crcfailed wrote:Pants-wise, well... normally a skirt and nylons because I'm going to work. That's probably bad, I guess. I'll figure something out though.

Personally, I pretty much am going to sweat in the heat no matter what, so I don't think piling on a lot of gear during the summer would phase me much. :shock: On the other hand heat stroke is always a danger too, so you have to balance the risks I suppose.
Go read Proficient Motorcycling. Seriously. I'm sure your local library has a copy.

The risk of heat stroke is greater in hot weather with less clothing.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

JettaKnight wrote:
crcfailed wrote:Pants-wise, well... normally a skirt and nylons because I'm going to work. That's probably bad, I guess. I'll figure something out though.

Personally, I pretty much am going to sweat in the heat no matter what, so I don't think piling on a lot of gear during the summer would phase me much. :shock: On the other hand heat stroke is always a danger too, so you have to balance the risks I suppose.
Go read Proficient Motorcycling. Seriously. I'm sure your local library has a copy.

The risk of heat stroke is greater in hot weather with less clothing.
^^this sounds interesting...probably make more of a difference on a hot day for a motorcycle where you're sitting directly above a large engine and exhaust that can be kicking out somewhere over 200-300 degrees vs a small scooter engine that could be kicking out the same but the engine is in the rear swingarm farther away from you...i would assume there is also a difference in humid hot weather vs dry hot weather as well as highway riding vs city road riding (i.e. moving vs sometimes moving/stopped in traffic)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Point37 wrote:^^this sounds interesting...probably make more of a difference on a hot day for a motorcycle where you're sitting directly above a large engine and exhaust that can be kicking out somewhere over 200-300 degrees vs a small scooter engine that could be kicking out the same but the engine is in the rear swingarm farther away from you...i would assume there is also a difference in humid hot weather vs dry hot weather as well as highway riding vs city road riding (i.e. moving vs sometimes moving/stopped in traffic)
The engine doesn't matter, and higher speed is worse. The issue is that with less gear and more air, your sweat evaporates too quickly to be effective.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

JettaKnight wrote: The engine doesn't matter, and higher speed is worse. The issue is that with less gear and more air, your sweat evaporates too quickly to be effective.
i see...so basically cover your skin and douse yourself in water...i guess it would be effective for a long trip...but i don't think i would want to do this when i'm riding to work no matter how hot...i think you'd be better served and probably more comfortable with a cooling vest and a camelback to keep hydrated for a shorter or maybe even a longer trip
Syd

Post by Syd »

Point37 wrote:
JettaKnight wrote: The engine doesn't matter, and higher speed is worse. The issue is that with less gear and more air, your sweat evaporates too quickly to be effective.
i see...so basically cover your skin and douse yourself in water...i guess it would be effective for a long trip...but i don't think i would want to do this when i'm riding to work no matter how hot...i think you'd be better served and probably more comfortable with a cooling vest and a camelback to keep hydrated for a shorter or maybe even a longer trip
Or wear mesh.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Syd wrote:
Point37 wrote:Or wear mesh.
mesh, textile, perforated leather are all options...humidity, temperature, the sun being out, the length of time of the ride, water availability, etc...are all factors in whether you really have to worry about heat stroke and dehydration...dehydration leads to heat stroke cause you can't even sweat to cool yourself...so to prevent heat stroke you have to prevent dehydration so you can keep sweating...if you want to know if you're low on your water intake just go take a leak...the clearer your urine the better...if it's yellow pound some water...pretty simple stuff...i worry more about dehydration when i'm doing something physical like working, hiking, skiing or playing sports...i don't think i've ever had to worry about it on a motorcycle ride but i also make it a point to drink water and covered most of my skin aside from my neck and arms sometimes...on a scooter i'm sometimes wearing even less so my legs and feet are sometimes exposed...but riding around town i'm not worried about dehydration or heat stroke...the real hazard are the other cars
Syd

Post by Syd »

I worked with a guy who would soak his 3/4 length mesh jacket on his way out of the building each summer afternoon. He told me it would last almost his entire 25+mile commute.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Ivanpedersen

Riding Wear

Post by Ivanpedersen »

I love to wear a black leather jacket with a white T-shirt and blue jeans and a black helmet it is love to see myself