Fuel Gauge is Not Working on Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

runtotorun121

Fuel Gauge is Not Working on Buddy 125

Post by runtotorun121 »

Any suggestions on what I might check If my fuel gauge is not working? I did have the top cover off when we were working on my right front brake, so I don't know if there's something loose or if there is something else I need to be looking at to order or repair while I'm waiting for the master brake cylinder to arrive.

Thanks!
Kristie
~Celebrate~
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If it worked before you took the top cover off, you probably tugged on a connector. Make sure that big plug/socket for the speedometer is completely secure. Make sure that the little wires leading to the fuel needle portion of the speedo are secure. If that doesn't work, Fonzie it a little bit.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Stanza wrote:If it worked before you took the top cover off, you probably tugged on a connector. Make sure that big plug/socket for the speedometer is completely secure. Make sure that the little wires leading to the fuel needle portion of the speedo are secure. If that doesn't work, Fonzie it a little bit.
Okay, thank you for the suggestions. When I unscrewed and unclipped the top cover I had to squeeze my hand in to unscrew the speedometer cable. When I reattached it, that was a bit harder so I will recheck after I replace the master cylinder. The big plug/socket you are talking about being sure is secure is everywhere I screwed it back together? Or elsewhere? I will also try to eyeball the fuel wires you mentioned.

The speedometer is workind so I don't know if that rules in or out any options.

Thank you :)
Kristie
~Celebrate~
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

The speedometer itself would work even if the lights and fuel needle don't, as it's run by a separate cable. Actually it might make your life easier to unscrew the speedo cable down by the wheel, so you can pull the top cover up further to inspect the wires. As you say, you only get an inch or so to work with while that speedo cable is still connected at both ends.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Stanza wrote:The speedometer itself would work even if the lights and fuel needle don't, as it's run by a separate cable. Actually it might make your life easier to unscrew the speedo cable down by the wheel, so you can pull the top cover up further to inspect the wires. As you say, you only get an inch or so to work with while that speedo cable is still connected at both ends.
So where is this big plug/socket you mentioned? I have a motorcycle jack. Do need that to get down to where it is screwed on down at the wheel? And is it easy I'd/access?

I should be able to see the fuel needle wire from looking under the top cover?
~Celebrate~
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

runtotorun121 wrote: So where is this big plug/socket you mentioned? I have a motorcycle jack. Do need that to get down to where it is screwed on down at the wheel? And is it easy I'd/access?

I should be able to see the fuel needle wire from looking under the top cover?
The big plug is on the back of the gauge cluster. One wire (or a set?) is coming from the fuel level sender. - no jack required, the sleeve attaches opposite of the brake disk.

If you unscrew the speedo cable sleeve at the front wheel, it's easier to remove the headset because you can lift it up without squeezing your hand in to unscrew it at the headset.

Do your gauge cluster indicator lights (e.g. blue high beam) all work?