Blur died suddenly....

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chickdr

Blur died suddenly....

Post by chickdr »

So after my backfire issues she seemed to be running better today. I was driving to work and suddenly and without warning the scooter died at a red light. No dash lights, nothing. Turned the key on and off, nothing. I had to push it to a parking lot in heavy 5:30pm Atlanta traffic, not fun! My dealer told me they are only doing routine maintenance when I asked last week so not sure if I will even be able to get it fixed. No other Genuine dealers in town. Not a happy camper. I noted a smell of burning plastic as I was pushing it so I suspect an electrical issue.

I got it to my office last night and looked everything over. No obvious burnt wires or disconnections. All looks normal. Trailered it to my house and hooked up the battery charger this morning and it seems the battery is fine. It had a lot of juice upon connecting. Still absolutely no life when the key is turned on. Does anyone have an idea? Really weird to me. This bike is garaged all the time spends very little time outside and it under a canopy when it is. I am flummoxed....

I also was notified there are other Genuine dealer options in Atlanta so that may be my saving grace....

It is at the dealer now and will report when it is fixed.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Got an update today. The first issue identified is a fried voltage regulator. I have attached a photo(which to me appears to show a manufacture date of 5.19.99 - did PGO seriously use a part which was made in 1999 on a 2011 scooter?). The final cost will be $400 bucks. $110 for the regulator and $300 for labor to diagnose and repair.
Attachments
2658.jpg
2658.jpg (110.32 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Maybe they made a ton of them in 99, and the design didn't change in all those years? If it ain't broke.....

Well, it is now, obviously.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Got the scooter back today. Runs like new. The new part has a number which is obviously not a date so I guess the old one wasn't a date.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Glad to hear it's running again!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Make sure the new one gets some extra cooling if you can.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

GregsBuddy wrote:Make sure the new one gets some extra cooling if you can.
I like the idea of this but not sure how I would accomplish it.