Changing Buddy 150 Oil - Weird Oil Filter!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

weixcrazei

Changing Buddy 150 Oil - Weird Oil Filter!

Post by weixcrazei »

Hi all, I just attempted my own oil change on my buddy 150. I drained the oil just fine but when it came to changing out the filter, I couldn't remove it since it doesn't have the regular 6 point "nut" (like the new oil filter I purchased for it). See pics below. 'm concerned my old mechanic might've installed some weird aftermarket filter not quite made for the buddy.

1. What is this? Do I use a large screwdriver or something to remove?

2. It seems it's sitting behind this metal "gate" so getting a socket in there is difficult. I understand the 150s are different from the others in this way. Am I supposed to just try to remove it by hand as best as possible w/o removing the gate in the way?

I couldn't figure out embedding image in the post itself so please click on the links below to view.

The weird filter currently on it:
https://ibb.co/mXCZJJ

Compared to a new one I bought on Amazon:
http://www.scootermercato.com/core/medi ... 9019d874d1

Any advice is appreciated!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I used to use a file that fit perfect in those filters but ended up finding a tool that worked that fit on a socket wrench. Some people hate those slot style filters, and even though I have a tool that fits the slot I still prefer the hex head version.
Last edited by sc00ter on Mon May 28, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

But yes, correct filter as there are two different styles. Also, that "gate" in the way is normal, just work around it.
weixcrazei

Post by weixcrazei »

Thanks Sc00t. Could you share more details about the tool, and where I can get one?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

This has been discussed before: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic16335.html

The tool mentioned by Syd that was available from oopsclunkthud.com is no longer available since oopsclunkthud.com doesn't exist anymore. Their tool was 3D printed out of plastic. Shame I don't have their STL or CAD file because then I could print one out. I'm not good enough at CAD to design one yet.

Anyways, I posted some pictures for a couple of other ideas.
Attachments
"Snowflake" tool that used to be available from oopsclunkthud.com.
"Snowflake" tool that used to be available from oopsclunkthud.com.
oilfilter3.jpg (15.56 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Plain old allen-wrench-in-the-slot trick.
Plain old allen-wrench-in-the-slot trick.
oilfilter2.jpg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Worm gear clamp and a socket driver.
Worm gear clamp and a socket driver.
oilfilter1.jpg (51.13 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

A post over on Modern Vespa shows a tool, similar to the "snowflake", for sale in the U.K. It's in the General Discussion under "New oil filter tool". Might be possible to get one shipped here??
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Dage'sVew wrote:A post over on Modern Vespa shows a tool, similar to the "snowflake", for sale in the U.K. It's in the General Discussion under "New oil filter tool". Might be possible to get one shipped here??
Link?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I was cleaning out a tool box at work when I stumbled upon the tool I have now. I was used to tighten a auto-clutch driver for chainsaws. All the tools were going into the metal scrap bin and I asked my boss if I could have it, since the clutch machine got replaced. Had to slightly trim it down to make it fit. Just use a file to remove the old filter, then just stock up on the hex head style. Im not even sure were my old slot style tool is or I would pass it on. If I ever got another Buddy with that style filter I would just use a file again to remove it.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

sc00ter wrote:I was cleaning out a tool box at work when I stumbled upon the tool I have now. I was used to tighten a auto-clutch driver for chainsaws. All the tools were going into the metal scrap bin and I asked my boss if I could have it, since the clutch machine got replaced. Had to slightly trim it down to make it fit. Just use a file to remove the old filter, then just stock up on the hex head style. Im not even sure were my old slot style tool is or I would pass it on. If I ever got another Buddy with that style filter I would just use a file again to remove it.
Just be careful using a file for that purpose. A file will not bend, it will snap when over stressed with possible metal shards.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Use a big ass straight screwdriver to remove the OE filter. Use a HF197 from here out. They have a 17mm head on it. Torque it to 12 ftlbs.
Attachments
hf197.png
hf197.png (182.92 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If the old filter is getting replaced....go cave man on it and jam a screwdriver through the side to use as a turn-lever.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

babblefish wrote:
Dage'sVew wrote:A post over on Modern Vespa shows a tool, similar to the "snowflake", for sale in the U.K. It's in the General Discussion under "New oil filter tool". Might be possible to get one shipped here??
Link?
Here's the link to the post: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic159751 but the post itself didn't give a link to purchasing the tool. :(
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Dage'sVew wrote:
babblefish wrote:
Link?
Here's the link to the post: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic159751 but the post itself didn't give a link to purchasing the tool. :(
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vespa-GTS-300- ... Sw4DxahsVd
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Did they add that shield on the 150's?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

OK, if anyone needs one of those "snowflake" tools to remove an oil filter, I can print one up on my 3D printer. Since I don't have one of these filters in front of me, I would need some dimensions in millimeters: the diameter of the bump that has the slot, and the width of the slot (see picture). No choice in color.:)

Price would be the cost of shipping to your destination. If you want to donate something on top of that, it's up to you. I'm fine with either. This is a limited time offer, lets say until the end of 2018.
Attachments
oilfilter.png
oilfilter.png (8.62 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:OK, if anyone needs one of those "snowflake" tools to remove an oil filter, I can print one up on my 3D printer. Since I don't have one of these filters in front of me, I would need some dimensions in millimeters: the diameter of the bump that has the slot, and the width of the slot (see picture). No choice in color.:)

Price would be the cost of shipping to your destination. If you want to donate something on top of that, it's up to you. I'm fine with either. This is a limited time offer, lets say until the end of 2018.
Hey - Wow! That's cool. I'll take one!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Christophers wrote:
babblefish wrote:OK, if anyone needs one of those "snowflake" tools to remove an oil filter, I can print one up on my 3D printer. Since I don't have one of these filters in front of me, I would need some dimensions in millimeters: the diameter of the bump that has the slot, and the width of the slot (see picture). No choice in color.:)

Hey - Wow! That's cool. I'll take one!
PM sent...