Aftermarket shock blocking brake caliper

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

johnk

Aftermarket shock blocking brake caliper

Post by johnk »

I attempted to change the brake pads on my 2T today before realizing that the aftermarket shock on it (fig. 1), installed by a previous ownder, is blocking access to the brake caliper's upper mounting bolt (fig. 2, orange).

What is the easiest and safest way to access the brake-caliper bolt? I don't quite understand how the shock works, and I don't want to send a spring flying or suddenly evacuate the secondary nitrogen canister.

Should I unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the secondary canister (fig. 2, green)? Should I unscrew what appear to be the main bolts attaching the shock to the fork (fig. 3)? Or do I need to mess with the spiderwebs up inside the front fender (fig. 4)?

In case it matters, the shock is a similar style to the Bitubo shock, but the only markings I can find on it say "NPII" and "KJC." Thanks for any help you can provide.
Attachments
fig. 4
fig. 4
4.jpg (128.92 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
fig. 3
fig. 3
3.jpg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
fig. 2
fig. 2
2.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
fig. 1
fig. 1
1.jpg (103.04 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
milly

Post by milly »

The two bolts in fig 3 and you may get enough space by just loosening the top bolts to swing it out the way. If not you will need to remove the top bolts. Definitely not the canister bolt. Hope that help's
2003stellaDave

Post by 2003stellaDave »

If you just want to change the brake pads you do not need to remove the caliper.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Here's a wrinkle, that may not have been an aftermarket shock. See this article from a little while back, which shows a stock Stella with that same shock installed.

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Genuin ... 2T-4T.html
johnk

Post by johnk »

Thanks, everyone!

Nice researching, Stanza. I'm pretty surprised that Stellas came with adjustible shocks! And it's a relief to know that it's not a mod.

milly: I tried removing the two bolts in fig. 3. The top bolt came out easily, but the bottom bolt couldn't get past the fork. So I started to unscrew the nuts under the fender, but one is at an awkward angle I couldn't grab with my wrenches.

So, 2003stellaDave: your comment arrived at just the right time, and you're right! I got the old pads out and the new ones in without removing the caliper. Removing the caliper might make it easier to push the pistons in and clean everything up, but it's a surprisingly simple procedure to just switch out the pads.

Final twist: you know the tiny little circlip on the brake pin that everyone says not to lose? I lost it. I was trying delicately to hold it in some needlenose pliers when it sproinged out, either behind a bunch of dusty tools in the garage or into the grass. So I'm crossing my fingers that I can find a replacement at the auto parts store.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

We call that the "Jesus" clip... I always pray "Oh Jesus" when one flies across the room into the darkest corner.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
johnk

Post by johnk »

After getting some blank stares from the auto parts store, my trusty local hardware store had an exact replacement for 19¢!
milly

Post by milly »

Nice one johnk. Same over here in Wales the small independent iron mongers always have the bits the bigger auto parts places don't. 😊