New and waiting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Da'Gnome

New and waiting

Post by Da'Gnome »

Hey,

I've been lurking on the board of & on for a couple of months, looking to a scooter and just reading posts on pros & cons, problem..etc.
My local buddy dealer is Scenic City Scooters turn me on to this forum, to find unbias opinions on scooters and a good source for related things.

Things I know I need to get since reading here:

helmet either 3/4 or I think a half helmet atleast.
jacket to prevent or cut down on roadrash cause it can happen
Insurance(which I really did'nt think of till the other day)
gloves
motorcycle endorsment on licence if I go above a 125cc (here in TN)
goggles
cargo cases for whatever

Am I forgeting anything?

I'm waitng payoff at least one bill and my tax return before I get a buddy 125 most likely from what I've seen.

And to make you laugh:

poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

Holy hell! Gene simons rides a roketa!

Half helmets are more comfortable, until you crash, then you'll wish you had a 3/4 or full face.

Jackets are hot and can suck, but you would trade all that suck in for the suck you will have if you crash without one.

Gloves are fine, I'm not so sure they help a ton in a crash, maybe from abrasions.

Don't ride with unsheathed knives and throwing stars
I have the scoots!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

motorcycle over pants . . . sam as poop said for the helmet, jeans are fine until you crash, which hopefully will never happen, but better get dressed for the ocasion if it does happen.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Even when my judgement lapses and I ride in shorts and a t-shirt, which is rare, I always wear motorcycle gloves (and a full-face). Even the couple minor spills I've had wrecked my hands worse than anything else, gravel will turn your palms into hamburger. Plus they really help make your hands comfy on longer trips.

Just saying, gloves are underrated.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
NoogaScooter

Post by NoogaScooter »

Da'Gnome,

Scenic City Scooters is a great shop. Have bought a Buddy and a Blur from them. A truly family ran business who takes care of their customers. When you visit sometime, have Stan tell you about the Cannonball. He's a blast to talk with...

On your questions: I'd highly recommend getting a Motorcycle license. Contrary to what has been said, I've called Nashville concerning the 125cc scooters and a need for the license. They assured me YOU DO need a license even though what's in the Motorcycle License booklet is vague at best. Just grab a book, (Scenic City has them), take the written and take the driving test. It's simple...and that will eliminate any questions if you get pulled over. Just my .02.

Helmet - I bought a killer Mo-Mo Design helmet from the big Honda dealership off Rossville boulevard. Can't remember the dealer's name. It's a cool helmet, it's the fighter style. A little pricy.

Maybe we'll catch you around town sometime this year.

What part of Chattanooga ya live in?

Take care,
NS - Wade
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

illnoise wrote:Even when my judgement lapses and I ride in shorts and a t-shirt, which is rare, I always wear motorcycle gloves (and a full-face). Even the couple minor spills I've had wrecked my hands worse than anything else, gravel will turn your palms into hamburger. Plus they really help make your hands comfy on longer trips.

Geez, amen to that. If you have doubts that your gloves will hold up in a slide, you need different gloves. Moto gloves come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes but most are reinforced or armored where it counts. If your hands get screwed up you're pretty well screwed yourself. Think about it: do you use your hands at work? How about to eat? Think about every trip to the bathroom you've ever made. Now think about those trips without hands.

I'm also a big believer in proper footwear because, let's face it, your feet are just closer to the pavement and pretty likely to hit something if you crash. Personally, I like moto boots with no laces or covered laces that at least cover the ankles.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Da'Gnome

Post by Da'Gnome »

Jackets right now are a good thing here atleast with the flip-flop weather we're having here, gloves depends on the time of year and boots or shoe covering whole foot are a no brainer. I work in a lab & at lowes p/t, I've gotton use to steeltoe or safety shoes and they've saved my feet twice.

I'll change what I wear as seasons changed, this morning its was cold and damp, gloves and jacket would've nessary. As it gets warm here the humidity will choke you some days.

noogascooter: I live by hamilton place

The pic's from DragonCon last year in the parade..

Da'Gnome
Last edited by Da'Gnome on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

poop colored buddy wrote:Jackets are hot and can suck... ...Gloves are fine, I'm not so sure they help a ton in a crash, maybe from abrasions.
depending on your climate, a jacket may actually keep you cooler during the warm months... here in az with the dryness, a mesh jacket lets you sweat a bit, while the mesh lets in air to evaporate the sweat, plus keeps the sun off your skin... i've ridden both ways, and have found i am much more physically comfortable wearing a mesh jacket when its 110 degrees than in a t-shirt...
and yeah, gloves will save your palms and knuckles... really sucks to heal even some minor roadrash on the palm...
littleao

Post by littleao »

Hoppsan
Last edited by littleao on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Da'Gnome

Post by Da'Gnome »

Thanks everyone, I'll try to keep all advice on mind, somethings you've said, I've thougth of afterwords or had in mind...etc
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

illnoise wrote:Even when my judgement lapses and I ride in shorts and a t-shirt, which is rare, I always wear motorcycle gloves (and a full-face). Even the couple minor spills I've had wrecked my hands worse than anything else, gravel will turn your palms into hamburger. Plus they really help make your hands comfy on longer trips.
Absolutely agree!!
Two months ago I tripped and fell while walking on a concrete sidewalk. (Damn tree roots!!) My knee, encased only in corduroy, got rashed up pretty badly, leaving me with a credit-card-sized bruise and later scab. My leather gloves tho just got scraped up without allowing any such damage to come thru to my hands...
And this was just WALKING!!
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Never underestimate the power of stratigicly places foliage! :D
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

NoogaScooter wrote:Scenic City Scooters is a great shop. Have bought a Buddy and a Blur from them. A truly family ran business who takes care of their customers. When you visit sometime, have Stan tell you about the Cannonball. He's a blast to talk with...
True. True. True. And, um, just so you'll know, one of your friendly neighborhood moderators (that would be be me) went on both Cannonballs, 2004 and 2006. Stan won the 2006 one, of course, and I finished last, but, hey, as someone pointed out, had there been an award for most hours spent in the saddle, I would have at least won that. :wink:
Last edited by jrsjr on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

jrsjr,
I know you did the 2006, did not know you also did the 2004 ! Wow, my hat's off to you.

After the 2004, what crazy thought run through your mind to try again in '06? Isn't one Cannonball punishment enough? I would have thunk your bum must had still shown signs of bruising after the '04 :shock:
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

I would also suggest knee protection, either in the form of armored pads that can be worn under pants or simply getting armored pants. Most spills, at least from my experience, involve knees and hands (which is why I always wear armored leather gloves). Of course, with working in a lab, wearing gloves is almost second nature to me and it's entirely likely that I spend more of my waking hours wearing gloves than not. For those that aren't so used to the idea, perforated gloves are fantastic for the summer, keeping your hands nice and cool but still protected.

Even if you don't hit the ground, your knees can take a beating. I was in a collision where my knee actually served as the force to break my key off in the ignition. At the time, I only had a layer of denim protecting my knee. Amazingly it was only severly bruised and painful, with no long term damage...but the outcome could have very easily been much worse.
At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. ~Roman Holiday
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Please take the MSF safety course regardless of the size of scooter you decide to buy. Go to www.msf-usa.org to find one near you.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Da'Gnome

Post by Da'Gnome »

Well my plans just got pushed back, I quit my second job because I refused to clean the restrooms, which isn't what I was hired for... I'm more annoyed than anything else right now.... 8)