Adding a stereo (or other electrical accessories)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

crcfailed

Adding a stereo (or other electrical accessories)

Post by crcfailed »

150 miles on my new ride, and I've been itching to catch some tunes the whole way.

The chrome bullet-style motorcycle speakers/amp kits kind of make me drool, but I'm afraid of tinkering with the electrical system and voiding the warranty on my brand new scooter... or worse. Anyway, this is just me thinking aloud trying to brainstorm ideas of what I could do instead.

And no, I don't think the in-helmet things or earbuds are right for me. I'm not going to be satisfied until I'm blasting Painkiller at a stop light, having some good obnoxious fun. I may even go to hell for it. Cool! :twisted:

Unfortunately I didn't find a ton of information on scooter audio systems around the forum. While I did see a couple examples of people using full-fledged stereo systems without a problem, I also found a couple posts which seemed to indicate that the official word from Genuine is that the Buddy's electrical system will not support even a 50W amp.

Trying to make do with what I've got, I tried dumping a little battery-powered bluetooth speaker into the front bin. The one I've got is just a little 2W thing. Indoors it's pretty loud for what it is, but once I take it out and start the scoot I can barely hear it over the engine idle. Plus, it just sounds bad anyway rolling around in the bin like that. I think I'm not going to be satisfied without something a little more legit.

So I got to thinking... the 2019 Buddy has a 5V USB charger, what can I do with that? And I found this little thing -- a battery powered 50W stereo amplifier. Cool! I can just leave it plugged into the charger.
https://www.amazon.com/ONEU-Bluetooth-A ... B07DCPNFVY
While the brand looks a little sketchy (is that Comic Sans etched into the plastic casing?? :lol:) it does appear to be one of a kind. Seems like a gamble, at $60+. If it worked out, though, I'd be halfway there, just need to add some speakers!

Another thing I looked at was jump starter batteries, and aftermarket motorcycle batteries. What if I just installed a regular motorcycle stereo system, but on an isolated circuit with an auxilliary battery? Maybe sneaking in a SPDT relay to keep the amp powered off with the scooter ignition? Apparently, you can actually get Li-Ion motorcycle batteries, which I suppose would stand up better to the charge/discharge cycles it would be subjected to with this kind of use. I'd have to hook it up to a separate Li-Ion battery tender between rides. But the advantage is I wouldn't have to limit myself to a low-wattage sound system.

Just throwing around ideas, which are maybe fundamentally bad, because I only know enough to be dangerous, and not one bit more. :lol:
Syd

Post by Syd »

In general, I think it's a bad idea. I don't like listening to thumping speakers in big pickups, I doubt I'd like it coming from a scooter either. Get some buds and really hear what you want.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i did something similar but i used a 14W bluetooth speaker and i found it to work pretty well at speed cause it's pretty loud...i just have to rig up a good solid way to mount it so the speaker is facing up towards my face...but it works well enough that mounting it better isn't high on my priority list...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... 100#368952

speaker Oontz Angle 3 Ultra & case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073B ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY ... UTF8&psc=1

got the idea from this guy as i was looking for a way to listen to tunes while riding...i don't like earbuds either...a windshield would help with the audio from the speaker as well but i like to feel the wind...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic30743.html

if you want to go really nuts they make a 24W one...but it's def too large for the front compartment so it would have to be mounted somehow...i also like how all the buttons on the one i bought are on the end of the speaker so i can easily reach them at a stop light if i want vs on top of the speaker like this one

https://www.amazon.com/OontZ-Angle-3XL- ... 560&sr=8-5
crcfailed

Post by crcfailed »

Hey, thanks for the ideas Point37.

Yeah, earbuds while riding/driving anything is pretty nasty business IMO. Couple years ago some kid on his bicycle on campus was wearing earbuds, and smacked straight into a damn bus. He lived, but screwed himself up real good. Lucky af, considering what happened.

I decided to pick up a JBL Flip 4 ($100 USD) today to test it out.

The battery is only 3Ah, but we'll see how well it holds up. A cool perk is that it comes with this cool USB cable that you can plug in either way. No more USB quantum superposition confusion. :wink:

I believe it's a 16W or 17W output, so it gets decently loud. It's definitely very clear and enjoyable at idle/stopped, but when I get up past 25-30 it sort of fades out with the wind and engine noise. I can still hear it, but the finer details of the music are lost, and I can no longer track the lyrics.

Of course, it doesn't help that I was listening to mostly black metal, so... I tried some Slayer, and still the same. Same with all the power metal bands too, which if you're not familiar, are known for soaring, clean vocals, belting, etc. It's really disappointing, because I enjoy lyrics a lot.

This speaker sounds its best indoors at mid volume. At max it gets that high tinny noise. Luckily, I found that the road noise kind of drowns this out a bit too. I never really noticed it on the road even when stopped. Bass exists, but it's not mind-blowing or anything, just more or less adequate. For a battery operated speaker, I can't complain too much.

I put $1.88 in the gas tank, another 30-40 miles aimlessly scooting around town/campus, and called it a night. :lol: It was some much-needed fun.

As you mentioned as well, I think it will help tremendously to figure out a mounting situation so it's pointed at my face.

I think I'd be a lot happier with a proper (and a bit more powerful) system, but for now I may have to make do with this until I can get some direction from the dealer, or my warranty expires. Then I may jump for a higher wattage wired-in system, like the JBL Cruise.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I would bet that the kid running into a bus was less about his use of a Bluetooth headset and more about his inattention/inattentiveness as a driver/motorcycle rider. I have been using a Bluetooth helmet mounted headset (Sena SMH10R) for the last 6 years of riding and have never ridden into a bus (or any other vehicle for that matter). Also in that time, I've never annoyed the folks around me at a stop sign or traffic light by blasting my choice of music that they probably didn't want to hear. I would think that fiddling with an external speaker to increase/decrease the volume or change the track would be dangerous than the buttons built in to a properly installed Bluetooth headset.

I do understand that some states have outlawed Bluetooth helmet headsets but if your state does not, I would highly recommend you look into them. They really are a better option than an external speaker and they are always with you no matter what bike you're on at any particular moment. I realize that you are going to do what you are going to do regardless, but that is my two cents.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

crcfailed wrote:I think I'd be a lot happier with a proper (and a bit more powerful) system, but for now I may have to make do with this until I can get some direction from the dealer, or my warranty expires. Then I may jump for a higher wattage wired-in system, like the JBL Cruise.
Here's another data point for your quantum decision matrix. Schrodinger's Cat's high-watt power amp can cause charging indecision in the electrical system. (If this electron goes to the headlight and this electron goes to the power amp, is there an electron left over to charge the battery?)

Seriously, some folks have put in higher-power headlights and found that the electrical system couldn't handle that plus charging their battery so they ended up fighting it with a battery tender but that's asking for trouble. (What happens if you go on a long ride?) If you do something like this, I highly recommend a battery tender but that may not be convenient on campus.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying riding your Buddy. :D

Ride Safe!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

jrsjr wrote:
crcfailed wrote:I think I'd be a lot happier with a proper (and a bit more powerful) system, but for now I may have to make do with this until I can get some direction from the dealer, or my warranty expires. Then I may jump for a higher wattage wired-in system, like the JBL Cruise.
Here's another data point for your quantum decision matrix. Schrodinger's Cat's high-watt power amp can cause charging indecision in the electrical system. (If this electron goes to the headlight and this electron goes to the power amp, is there an electron left over to charge the battery?)

Seriously, some folks have put in higher-power headlights and found that the electrical system couldn't handle that plus charging their battery so they ended up fighting it with a battery tender but that's asking for trouble. (What happens if you go on a long ride?) If you do something like this, I highly recommend a battery tender but that may not be convenient on campus.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying riding your Buddy. :D

Ride Safe!
I think you meant the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, but I could be wrong.

Why not just just get a modular helmet and play the kazoo while riding? No drain on the battery, you'll get an aerobic workout and, if you're really good, people will throw money.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

crcfailed wrote:Hey, thanks for the ideas Point37.

Yeah, earbuds while riding/driving anything is pretty nasty business IMO. Couple years ago some kid on his bicycle on campus was wearing earbuds, and smacked straight into a damn bus. He lived, but screwed himself up real good. Lucky af, considering what happened.

I decided to pick up a JBL Flip 4 ($100 USD) today to test it out.

The battery is only 3Ah, but we'll see how well it holds up. A cool perk is that it comes with this cool USB cable that you can plug in either way. No more USB quantum superposition confusion. :wink:

I believe it's a 16W or 17W output, so it gets decently loud. It's definitely very clear and enjoyable at idle/stopped, but when I get up past 25-30 it sort of fades out with the wind and engine noise. I can still hear it, but the finer details of the music are lost, and I can no longer track the lyrics.

Of course, it doesn't help that I was listening to mostly black metal, so... I tried some Slayer, and still the same. Same with all the power metal bands too, which if you're not familiar, are known for soaring, clean vocals, belting, etc. It's really disappointing, because I enjoy lyrics a lot.

This speaker sounds its best indoors at mid volume. At max it gets that high tinny noise. Luckily, I found that the road noise kind of drowns this out a bit too. I never really noticed it on the road even when stopped. Bass exists, but it's not mind-blowing or anything, just more or less adequate. For a battery operated speaker, I can't complain too much.

I put $1.88 in the gas tank, another 30-40 miles aimlessly scooting around town/campus, and called it a night. :lol: It was some much-needed fun.

As you mentioned as well, I think it will help tremendously to figure out a mounting situation so it's pointed at my face.

I think I'd be a lot happier with a proper (and a bit more powerful) system, but for now I may have to make do with this until I can get some direction from the dealer, or my warranty expires. Then I may jump for a higher wattage wired-in system, like the JBL Cruise.
I looked at the flip 4 as well but went with the oontz angle 3 ultra by Cambridge soundworks cause it was $40...I was really impressed with the sound quality even with the volume loud...I use it on the scooter, I take it to the beach and I take it to tailgate at patriots games...I wouldn’t try charging it while riding via the scooter battery as was mentioned...buy an external battery pack...if you figure out a good mounting setup post it here cause I’d be interested
Point37

Post by Point37 »

cummingsjc wrote:I would bet that the kid running into a bus was less about his use of a Bluetooth headset and more about his inattention/inattentiveness as a driver/motorcycle rider. I have been using a Bluetooth helmet mounted headset (Sena SMH10R) for the last 6 years of riding and have never ridden into a bus (or any other vehicle for that matter). Also in that time, I've never annoyed the folks around me at a stop sign or traffic light by blasting my choice of music that they probably didn't want to hear. I would think that fiddling with an external speaker to increase/decrease the volume or change the track would be dangerous than the buttons built in to a properly installed Bluetooth headset.

I do understand that some states have outlawed Bluetooth helmet headsets but if your state does not, I would highly recommend you look into them. They really are a better option than an external speaker and they are always with you no matter what bike you're on at any particular moment. I realize that you are going to do what you are going to do regardless, but that is my two cents.
The Sena setups are really nice but much more expensive than I was looking to spend...this speaker is also much more versatile for other uses which is what I wanted...and I’m just not a fan of anything in my helmet or in my ear while riding...I typically wait till I stop to touch any buttons but I sometimes don’t...but the way it’s designed and how I set mine up I just have to reach down without looking and touch one of the raised buttons while riding...not much different than messing with anything when you’re driving a car...as far as annoying people on the road with my music while at a light or stop sign for a few seconds/minutes...I figure at least they know I’m here...if not then I’ll turn it up a little more
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

charlie55 wrote:I think you meant the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, but I could be wrong.
I'll ask Maxwell's Demon and get back to you with a decision...
Point37

Post by Point37 »

crcfailed wrote:
i have a bunch of this stuff that i may try to make a tray with...
https://www.instamorph.com/
skipper20

Re: Adding a stereo (or other electrical accessories)

Post by skipper20 »

crcfailed wrote:150 miles on my new ride, and I've been itching to catch some tunes the whole way.

The chrome bullet-style motorcycle speakers/amp kits kind of make me drool, but I'm afraid of tinkering with the electrical system and voiding the warranty on my brand new scooter... or worse. Anyway, this is just me thinking aloud trying to brainstorm ideas of what I could do instead.

And no, I don't think the in-helmet things or earbuds are right for me. I'm not going to be satisfied until I'm blasting Painkiller at a stop light, having some good obnoxious fun. I may even go to hell for it. Cool! :twisted:
There's nothing good about being obnoxious. If you think you're being cool about annoying people around you with your loud music, you're not cool. You're just an inconsiderate, self-centered, obviously immature person who needs to grow up. So think about the other people around you who may not share your musical interests and show some consideration. That's what being cool is. Thanks.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
Point37

Post by Point37 »

skipper20 wrote:
crcfailed wrote:150 miles on my new ride, and I've been itching to catch some tunes the whole way.

There's nothing good about being obnoxious. If you think you're being cool about annoying people around you with your loud music, you're not cool. You're just an inconsiderate, self-centered, obviously immature person who needs to grow up. So think about the other people around you who may not share your musical interests and show some consideration. That's what being cool is. Thanks.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
the way i see it is...the nice thing about being in a car is if there is something obnoxious going on outside of it you have windows you can turn up, a/c and heat you can turn on and your own music you can turn up for the few seconds/minutes while you are within distance of that obnoxious person/thing until you can move away from it and move on with your life...whether it be a person with loud music, a bum asking for money, a construction worker jack hammering, a resident mowing his lawn, protesters yelling, etc...i don't expect any of those people to stop what they are doing just because it bothers me...so if a rider wants to listen to music while riding but doesn't want music in his ears while riding for more better awareness or comfort reasons (headaches come to mind) then there aren't many other options than being obnoxious if you want to be able to hear it while riding are there?...i mean don't know of any cheap portable audio systems that auto-adjust volume based on wind buffeting and turning the volume up and down manually at each light or stop sign isn't really an acceptable option (probably not safe either)...but that's just my opinion
Rayc11949

Post by Rayc11949 »

Here's a little something I ran across on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U5ArX7J7ps
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

skipper20 wrote:

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
+1. I feel sorry for all the other scooterists and motorcyclist that end up experiencing the anger of the cagers that are ticked off by the OP's obnoxiously loud music. I would have thought that the intent of any riding experience would be to get along with the other folks on the road,particularly based on the high degree of vulnerability scooter riders have versus folks in a car. Most cagers look down on already, why give them a legitimate reason to do so?
crcfailed

Post by crcfailed »

jrsjr wrote:
charlie55 wrote:I think you meant the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, but I could be wrong.
I'll ask Maxwell's Demon and get back to you with a decision...
You guys are killing me :lol: :lol: :lol:
cummingsjc wrote:I feel sorry for
Hey now, there's no need for the vitriol. Do you think you can stick to topic, please? I assure you that my 17W battery operated speaker is a grievous nuisance to no one, and that you are severely overreacting to my hyperbole. :roll:

...However, I'm still going to hell. :twisted:
Point37

Post by Point37 »

cummingsjc wrote: +1. I feel sorry for all the other scooterists and motorcyclist that end up experiencing the anger of the cagers that are ticked off by the OP's obnoxiously loud music. I would have thought that the intent of any riding experience would be to get along with the other folks on the road,particularly based on the high degree of vulnerability scooter riders have versus folks in a car. Most cagers look down on already, why give them a legitimate reason to do so?
as i said above, cagers would only experience hearing any music while stopped for a few seconds/minutes at a stop sign/light or sitting in slow traffic (at which point the music volume could be lowered depending on the amount of time you're there)...cagers won't hear anything at speed...cagers hate things that inconvenience them or piss them off...like motorcyclists that weave through traffic or speed by them like they were standing still or rev their engines/ride with uncorked exhausts at deafening decibel levels...they also hate smaller cc scooterists and bicyclists that can't keep up with traffic and go too slow on the shoulder so they now become a road hazard or worse if they just stay in the road way (since they are considered a vehicle) and go slow in front of cagers so they can't pass...so as you can see you could be doing absolutely nothing wrong and cagers could hate you...they could even hate you from a past experience that made them hate all of certain kinds of 2 wheeled vehicles on the road...loud music for a few seconds/minutes is probably pretty far down on the list of hate for a cager since other cagers do it as well...but damn those wild whippersnappers and their loud noise on their infernal motorbikes!...but if you want to be as safe as possible wear head to to leather with a full face helmet, wear fluorescent bright colors, don't listen to any music or gps directions and have an ejection seat with a parachute...better yet just drive a car but make sure it has 20 airbags...or better yet just don't leave your house
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Done with this thread after this last comment so the folks that want to discuss adding an external speaker to a Buddy can do so in piece and I realize that this is not the bass thumping stereo system that is so annoying at lights and at gas stations where folks feel obligated to "share" there horrible taste in music. Perhaps I'm jaded as a school teacher that sees self-centered behavior 100x an hour. Regardless, there was no vitriol intended and I'm writing this in my most calm typing voice but I guess I just don't understand the need to deliberately irritate or annoy other folks around us in our daily lives and particularly when the car drivers around us are have us as scooter riders at an extreme disadvantage in size/speed. I know most folks will "let it go" but all it takes is one person in a bad mood and someone gets hurt. We've all seen these kinds of jerks out on the road. But, to each his own...
Point37

Post by Point37 »

cummingsjc wrote:Done with this thread after this last comment so the folks that want to discuss adding an external speaker to a Buddy can do so in piece and I realize that this is not the bass thumping stereo system that is so annoying at lights and at gas stations where folks feel obligated to "share" there horrible taste in music. Perhaps I'm jaded as a school teacher that sees self-centered behavior 100x an hour. Regardless, there was no vitriol intended and I'm writing this in my most calm typing voice but I guess I just don't understand the need to deliberately irritate or annoy other folks around us in our daily lives and particularly when the car drivers around us are have us as scooter riders at an extreme disadvantage in size/speed. I know most folks will "let it go" but all it takes is one person in a bad mood and someone gets hurt. We've all seen these kinds of jerks out on the road. But, to each his own...
I apologize if that came out wrong...I meant it more as a playful ribbing...no need to leave the thread...we have differing opinions which is perfectly fine...but I agree to each his own