Buddy 50 - Caps at 15-20 MPH

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wkw85

Buddy 50 - Caps at 15-20 MPH

Post by wkw85 »

I was given a free 2007 Buddy 50 with only 2,000 miles. The only issue (known so far) is that it doesn't go faster than 15-20 MPH. Any pointers on where to start to fix the issue? I took off the seat and plastic last night hoping to dive into it this weekend. [/b]
skipper20

Re: Buddy 50 - Caps at 15-20 MPH

Post by skipper20 »

wkw85 wrote:I was given a free 2007 Buddy 50 with only 2,000 miles. The only issue (known so far) is that it doesn't go faster than 15-20 MPH. Any pointers on where to start to fix the issue? I took off the seat and plastic last night hoping to dive into it this weekend. [/b]
Most likely a fuel flow issue. With very limited use over its 11 year life, the carb is probably clogged and gummed up. Check also the fuel tank for rust and contamination.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Could also be worn out roller weights, belt, might still have the restrictor in the CVT, etc. Exhaust pipe/port could be plugged if the previous owner used crappy 2 cycle oil. Could be down on compression....

How far into wrenching do you want to go?
wkw85

Post by wkw85 »

My plan is to make it run like new. So whatever is wrong or needs to be fixed/updated, I'm in!

My first thought was the belt or something in the CVT.