Buddy 170i - won't start - and FIXED

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Bobbareeba

Buddy 170i - won't start - and FIXED

Post by Bobbareeba »

One day without warning, the buddy 170i wouldn't start. The starter would turn the engine over fine, but no spark, and no start. After some basic diagnosing, it was noted that during the "cranking" process, the battery voltage dropped to about 8 volts - not enough to light up the computer and ignition system but enough to turn the engine over. I replaced the battery with the slightly bigger YTX9-BS, trimmed the "crosses" from the battery box cover and it started right up. It's possible that my weak battery could start the carbureted Buddy, but the fuel injected 170i no doubt has a higher threshhold for voltage input.
skipper20

Re: Buddy 170i - won't start - and FIXED

Post by skipper20 »

Bobbareeba wrote:One day without warning, the buddy 170i wouldn't start. The starter would turn the engine over fine, but no spark, and no start. After some basic diagnosing, it was noted that during the "cranking" process, the battery voltage dropped to about 8 volts - not enough to light up the computer and ignition system but enough to turn the engine over. I replaced the battery with the slightly bigger YTX9-BS, trimmed the "crosses" from the battery box cover and it started right up. It's possible that my weak battery could start the carbureted Buddy, but the fuel injected 170i no doubt has a higher threshhold for voltage input.
Which is most likely why it doesn't have a kick start. And, all the more reason why any EFI scoot without a kick starter should be plugged into a battery tender when not in use.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

I wonder if one of these would help the low voltage scenario. So when you crank, and the voltage drops below 10-12, this would automatically step it back up to 12? Run it inline for the ECU power only?

Just musing on a quiet Friday.....

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Converter-R ... B06XG2KPTS
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Install one of these, let's you know a problem is on it's way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-LED-Batter ... 0401283689
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm glad that was such an easy fix. Thanks for letting us know!

I'm going to go out and check the battery tender on my scoot right now...
Dooglas

Re: Buddy 170i - won't start - and FIXED

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:Which is most likely why it doesn't have a kick start. And, all the more reason why any EFI scoot without a kick starter should be plugged into a battery tender when not in use.
I think people are trying to draw too many grand conclusions from the results of one old and depleted battery. You rarely see a kick starter on an EFI engine because, with no battery, there is no operating fuel pump and thus no fuel to the engine. A 170i Buddy obviously starts with the stock battery when delivered. Is an upgraded battery a good idea? Sure, why not? But it isn't mandatory. Do you have to keep an EFI scooter on a battery tender all the time it is not being ridden? No, though it doesn't hurt anything. My EFI scooter is my regular rider. I never put it on a tender unless it goes into storage for an extended period. When regularly ridden, the battery maintains a good charge and the scooter always starts fine.