De glazing Hooligan clutch

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Xrep

De glazing Hooligan clutch

Post by Xrep »

So, I bought a used Hooligan last summer. It had about 3500 miles on it. I've put about 1000 more miles on it since I bought it. It's always had an intermittent chatter as I accelerate from a stop. I had the rollers changed which did nothing. The mechanic suggested I also change the belt, although it looks just fine so I opted not to change it. I'm thinking it's possibly a glazed clutch. How difficult a job is it to de glaze? Remove cover, remove the clutch securing nut with my impact wrench, then what? This scooter is fairly new to me, how big of a job is this? And where do you get aftermarket parts like a kevlar belt? Dealer wants like $55 for a replacement belt which I think is high.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Once you pull the clutch securing nut, you can slide the clutch bell right off. This will expose the pads, and you can hit them with some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper. Get them nice and textured again, then reassemble. Easy job.
Xrep

Post by Xrep »

Thank you so much. I think I can handle that.

I've come from the Vino world and really appreciated the strong support of that users group. It's great to see this active network of folks so ready willing and able to share their aquired knowledge.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

PS, 50 to 55 is about right for that belt. It'l last several thousand miles though, so it's money well spent. Chatter on acceleration could be belt slap, if it's stretched.
Xrep

Post by Xrep »

Busting the glaze on the clutch did the trick, no belt needed. Easy peezy and the acceleration is smooth as silk. Thanks for the help.
Bubwheat

Re: De glazing Hooligan clutch

Post by Bubwheat »

Xrep wrote:So, I bought a used Hooligan last summer. It had about 3500 miles on it. I've put about 1000 more miles on it since I bought it. It's always had an intermittent chatter as I accelerate from a stop. I had the rollers changed which did nothing. The mechanic suggested I also change the belt, although it looks just fine so I opted not to change it. I'm thinking it's possibly a glazed clutch. How difficult a job is it to de glaze? Remove cover, remove the clutch securing nut with my impact wrench, then what? This scooter is fairly new to me, how big of a job is this? And where do you get aftermarket parts like a kevlar belt? Dealer wants like $55 for a replacement belt which I think is high.
I haven't experienced this on my Hooligan yet, but on my Kymco 300, I'd just put the front tire against something solid, like a tree, and rev the engine for about 10 seconds, and the noise and shudder would be gone. When the noise returned which it will, just wash, rinse, repeat!
Stanza

Re: De glazing Hooligan clutch

Post by Stanza »

Bubwheat wrote:
Xrep wrote:So, I bought a used Hooligan last summer. It had about 3500 miles on it. I've put about 1000 more miles on it since I bought it. It's always had an intermittent chatter as I accelerate from a stop. I had the rollers changed which did nothing. The mechanic suggested I also change the belt, although it looks just fine so I opted not to change it. I'm thinking it's possibly a glazed clutch. How difficult a job is it to de glaze? Remove cover, remove the clutch securing nut with my impact wrench, then what? This scooter is fairly new to me, how big of a job is this? And where do you get aftermarket parts like a kevlar belt? Dealer wants like $55 for a replacement belt which I think is high.
I haven't experienced this on my Hooligan yet, but on my Kymco 300, I'd just put the front tire against something solid, like a tree, and rev the engine for about 10 seconds, and the noise and shudder would be gone. When the noise returned which it will, just wash, rinse, repeat!

Haha, but I'll bet your kymco had enough torque to mush those pads against the bell hard enough to rough them up. The hooligan is a fine engine, but I doubt it could match a Kymco 300 for raw torque