Is the left brake lever also the clutch?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

soup

Is the left brake lever also the clutch?

Post by soup »

When the previous owner sold me my Buddy 125, they told me that the left (rear) brake lever is also the clutch, even though it's an automatic transmission. Is that true? If so, I find that it doesn't fully disengage the engine, so maybe it needs adjusted.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Buddy has a CVT (auto) transmission. The left hand lever is the rear brake. Assuming the CVT is correctly adjusted and maintained, the scooter will idle in neutral when you stop the scooter by applying the brakes.
soup

Post by soup »

Dooglas wrote:The Buddy has a CVT (auto) transmission. The left hand lever is the rear brake. Assuming the CVT is correctly adjusted and maintained, the scooter will idle in neutral when you stop the scooter by applying the brakes.
Wow, I just watched some youtube videos on CVT's and that's a pretty fascinating technology. It sounds like then that the previous owner is incorrect, and that it's only a brake lever, not a clutch lever. The scooter does seem to idle just fine. I was just going on a false assumption about the left lever. Thanks for the reply!