Wiring by the column

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

icloudfiles

Wiring by the column

Post by icloudfiles »

Hi there, first post on this forum (be gentle). I just bought a 2004 GB 150 and im having an issue with the wiring. When the turn the steering all the way to the right the headlight and the lights on the speedo goes off and i even see a spark by the column. Is it just a matter of taking the headset off and looking for frayed wires? Whats a good permanent fix for this issue?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

The wiring under the headset is very crowded, and shorts are common. The wires get old and brittle.

Unscrew the top of the headset (4 screws underneath) and then push up on the speedo cable, the head set should come apart, and then take a look.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
icloudfiles

Post by icloudfiles »

Thank you, i will take a look this weekend. The sparks are visible in the gap between the frame and bottom of the headset (where the steering adjuster nut is). How would i get down there to take a look?
RoaringTodd wrote:The wiring under the headset is very crowded, and shorts are common. The wires get old and brittle.

Unscrew the top of the headset (4 screws underneath) and then push up on the speedo cable, the head set should come apart, and then take a look.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Sparks are bad. The insulation is worn through.

Take the headset casting off to access the wiring. It is very tight in there. Pull each conductor or group of conductors out one at a time remembering what went where. Label Everything! Access the damaged insulation and put insulating sheath of shrink tube pushed down over the damaged conductor to repair the wire in-situ. Don't bother with tape. Otherwise the harness will have to be pulled completely out and the wire replaced.

I put shrink-tube on mine during the overhaul. I also lubricated the wires and shrink tube exterior with Silicone Grease to keep the insulation from experiencing abrasion in the future. Dirt is your enemy.

Welcome to Stella ownership. You will become a mechanic and an electrician.
Attachments
Headset off
Headset off
IMAG0549.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)