Starter woes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike1nw

Starter woes

Post by Mike1nw »

2009 Buddy 125 with only 650 miles

Starter won't activate and crank. Thank goodness for kickstarter :D

Yes, power goes to the starter.

Removed starter. It will spin feebly with 12V applied. Does not turn easily by hand.

Is there a good source for a starter? dbelecric, my favorite source, doesn't list Buddy. But lists Piaggio. Is that a cousin of Buddy?
dbelectric new for Piaggio about $87
scooter lounge about $173. Ouch.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Battery might be weak. Try jump starting from a car battery. If it starts with the electric start then there you go, bad battery.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

+1
A nearly dead battery will spin a starter motor with no load. It takes a good battery to spin the starter motor with its intended engine starting load.
These scoot's are very reliable. MANY issues on this forum have boiled down to failing/failed batteries.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good suggestions above

Did you try bypassing the relay?

IF you find you need a new starter only an OEM will fit properly. A generic GY6 starter will not work.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

And no, Piaggio is not a cousin of the Buddy. The Buddy is manufactured by PGO in Taiwan. Piaggio is the manufacturer of the Vespa.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

AHA. It's the battery. Although it charges to 12.56 volts.

A good 12v battery spins it just fine :D Thank goodne$$.

NOW I want a genuine Yuasa to replace this year-old failed Chinese battery installed by the PO.
Does anyone know the Yuasa part no. and a source?

Thank you very much!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

It's almost always the battery.
Google "Testing a 12V battery" and you'll find the voltage range of a good battery and bad battery is quite specific with small variations.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Mike1nw wrote:NOW I want a genuine Yuasa to replace this year-old failed Chinese battery installed by the PO.
Does anyone know the Yuasa part no. and a source?
The standard battery for the Buddy 125 is the YTX7A-BS or equivalent.
A battery with higher capacity which still fits the battery box is the YTX10S or equivalent.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

I found this post by Dooglas, much appreciated. When I got my new to me Buddy 150 International, I installed a new and fully charged FirstPower YTX7L-BS 12V 7AH Sealed AGM Battery. The battery had enough cranking power to bring the engine only up to top dead center on the first or second push of the starter button, and then would start the engine on the second or third push of the button. Fortunately, the engine was easy to start, and would always start when the engine made one complete revolution. Yesterday, I installed a YTZ10S AGM Battery. Now the Buddy 150 starts as it should.. turns over quickly on the first push of the starter button and starts instantly. As Dooglas says, the YTZ10S is an exact fit in the battery box, requiring no modification to the box, nor the box lid. Thanks Dooglas!