Buddy Seat will not latch.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Crazy88s

Buddy Seat will not latch.

Post by Crazy88s »

I just got a solo seat for my 06 buddy 125, I put it on and I can't get it to latch. I do not want to force it because I do not want the latch to get stuck, any way any Ideas?
hairball

Post by hairball »

I just checked my solo on the blackjack...
Sorry, I don't see any way to adjust :?
Put in a call to genuine.
If trees screamed when they were cut, We would stop cutting them down...
If they screamed all the time... We would cut them all down!
Crazy88s

Gas Cap

Post by Crazy88s »

Thanks I was going to take it over to Sportique and have them check it out. If they can't figure it out I will give Genuine a call they are great at helping the customer. I know that the 06 scooter has a little bit different headlight, but I don't think the storage bin is any different. expect for one thing the Gas Cap is bigger and stick out more. maybe that's the problem. but I would doubt it because I tried to unscrew the gas cap then latch the seat. and still nothing, Does anyone know if the hinge is different on the Solo seat?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

One idea is to unbolt the seat, then put it on and see if it will latch. If it does, look or feel under the seat and see if the bolt holes line up and/or see if you can run the bolt through then.
Just a thought. :)
Crazy88s

Post by Crazy88s »

Thanks I will give it a try
PIStaker

Maybe this will work.

Post by PIStaker »

I had a similar problem with my solo seat. I was finally able to figure it out. Look to see if this what's going on with yours.
Attachments
After.
After.
Corrected2.jpg (176.47 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
Screw, on a Modern Buddy patch (you should pick one up.  The patch, as well as the screw.) for scale.
Screw, on a Modern Buddy patch (you should pick one up. The patch, as well as the screw.) for scale.
screw2.jpg (168.32 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
Before.  Note the angle of the latch pin.
Before. Note the angle of the latch pin.
Before2.jpg (164.6 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's a way to raise the horizontal latch bar with a couple washers. I'll see if I can find a pic of the latch to show you, but it should be apparent if you remove the storage bin.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

ericalm wrote:There's a way to raise the horizontal latch bar with a couple washers. I'll see if I can find a pic of the latch to show you, but it should be apparent if you remove the storage bin.
+1
Spot on Eric, I forgot that I did that as well. I didn't want too much height, so I folded over a couple of pieces of thin cardboard, drilled some holes and whammo, problem solved.
Thanks for reminding me!
The pet carrier may sit a bit higher, and rub against the top body panels causing some of the color to wear off, but who cares, the seat folds down, covers it and you'll never see it anyway.
Crazy88s

Post by Crazy88s »

Good news I got the seat to work, all that it needed was some WD40, thankfully It was driving me nuts knowing I spent good money on the seat, :D :D :D
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Crazy88s wrote:Good news I got the seat to work, all that it needed was some WD40, thankfully It was driving me nuts knowing I spent good money on the seat, :D :D :D
You figured it out before I could post. I was going to tell you I need to lube my seat latch and bar about once every year or two or it won't close. I use a spray on lube that dries into a hard slippery finish. It lasts the longest.
buddys_n_blasters

Re: Buddy Seat will not latch.

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

Crazy88s wrote:I just got a solo seat for my 06 buddy 125, I put it on and I can't get it to latch. I do not want to force it because I do not want the latch to get stuck, any way any Ideas?
I had a similar problem. In my case it turned out that a previous owner had greased the latch cable. The grease was too heavy, so the cable friction was way too high. The tiny actuating spring wasn't strong enough to pull the mechanism back into its resting position, so it remained open at all times (hence no latching)

The fix: I cut off about a half of the semicircular hook on each end of the spring off and bent the remaining bit into a new hook, effectively shortening and tightening the spring. Haven't had issues since.

Good pictures of the latch mechanism here, although not from the fix I just described: http://gearsandsuch.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... rt_16.html
Attachments
Seat Latch Disassembled.JPG
Seat Latch Disassembled.JPG (179.16 KiB) Viewed 1485 times