No Electric Start

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wild Handyman

No Electric Start

Post by Wild Handyman »

2013 Stella 4T - electric starter doesn't work; no noise, nothing, dead. Installed brand new battery today and everything works (signals, horn, lights, etc.) with ignition turned on. Bike kick starts. Any thoughts on troubleshooting this starter issue? Please be as specific as possible. Thanks ahead of time.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

First, refer to the wiring diagram.

The three items that stand out to me are the cut-out relay, the PRD relay and the de-clutch switch.

First question, are you pulling the clutch when engaging the electric starter? Gotta clutch to electric start. No clutch when kickstarting.

Has the bike sat outside in the rain? I understand that the start switch on Stellas are susceptible to shorts or damage if they get wet.

The PRD and cut-out relays seem less likely at this point, but should be considered nonetheless. Might need to look in the service manual for testing procedures for those.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

az_slynch wrote:The PRD and cut-out relays seem less likely at this point, but should be considered nonetheless. Might need to look in the service manual for testing procedures for those.
Thanks! I actually read your reply twice before I saw that you put in a link to the Stella 4T Service Manual. Because of my slow high-speed internet connection it will take a while to download, but the reference is much appreciated. Now I hope I can find the components spoken of in the manual, especially the starter fuse.
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

Seriously, I need some help here. My nearest Stella dealer is over two hours away, so finding this problem is in my lap.

So far I only managed to find one fuse (the one next to the battery) and it was good (although the holder had vibrated loose). I have no idea where the cut-out relay, the PRD relay or the de-clutch switches are located or what they look like. Anyone know? I don't want to disassemble more of this scooter than I have to.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The cut-out relay is out back with the fuse and battery box. It might be in the cavity behind the battery.

The PRD relay is up front, under the horn cover, just above the horn. There are two Phillips screws in the glovebox, on either side of the steering column, that hold the horn cover to the bodywork. Carefully pop out the Genuine crest and remove the screw behind it. The horn cover should come off. PRD is above the horn.

The clutch switch is in the left handlebar behind the clutch lever. Stand to the left of the handlebar, squeeze the clutch lever and look into the space where the lever seats. Follow the clutch cable wire; the switch should be visible next to it. To check the wires, you need to take the top of the headset off.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

Thank you! Looks like I have my work cut out for me.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Testing procedures for the cut-out and PRD are on page 36 of the service manual.

Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

I removed the horn cover and found a white (piece of crap) fuse holder and inside it was a broken, old fashioned glass type 7A fuse. Thankfully there was also a spare fuse tucked away in there, and when I replaced it, hooked everything else back up, the electric starter worked. Funny thing... I can't find a mention of a 7A fuse anywhere in the Stella 4T Service Manual. In all my many years of driving all sorts of different vehicles I have never come across a shattered glass fuse before. az_slynch, thank you, again, for your help.
Rocketrob

Electric Starter Troubleshooting

Post by Rocketrob »

Thought I'd reply here as I found the posts here helpful in diagnosing the Starter issue I recently solved.

I'm working on a 2014 Stella 2T (however this applies to most setups)

I found the wiring diagram http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/Stella4T ... iagram.pdf to be very helpful. After testing all the components in the starter circuit I eventually discovered a broken wire in the main wiring harness that was close enough to the steering column that I was able to replace the broken section of wire and now all is working fine. Here are the steps I took:

1. Check Starter Cut-out rely by simply applying 12V across the contacts that receive the brown and pink wires. If it closes and turns the starter you know both relay and starter are good.

2. Check De-Clutch switch by red-yellow wire coming into PRD relay (as mentioned in previous posts, is located under the horn cover) to ground. If continuity to ground is achieved when the clutch is depressed, then it's working fine.

3. Test continuity from starter button wires to where they connect into both green to ignition and brown into cutout relay

And finally, that is where I discovered my problem. Both switches - starter and de-cluth - were working, the cut-out relay and starter both functioned but I was getting no voltage to the cut-out relay. Since I was not completely sure how the PRD relay was directing power (as it involves the ignition, de-clutch and starter) I simply tried bypassing the brown wire from the starter button directly to the cut-out relay and voila with the gear selector in neutral (of course), ignition on, and the clutch engaged the starter button would engage the starter motor.

I know this is a bit of a ramble, but I hope it might help some future enthusiast to diagnose their issues.

Also thought I'd not that I'm not sure how replacing the fuse under horn cover that "wild handyman" did would effect the starter at all, as it's not part of that curcuit. Maybe he just got lucky and wiggled a loose connection. Hmm.