What made me faster?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Argee

What made me faster?

Post by Argee »

I just swapped the crappy stock tire that went bald in 5500 miles with the Kenda 130/70-10. It fit well on the 170i, the mud fender is just a bit tight on the left side. A little blowtorch and oomph fixed it.

Anyway, while I had the pipe off I decided to match the horribly restricted transition. I took a grinder to it for a half an hour and finished blending-in from a Dremel sanding drum.

First ride is surprising. I certainly felt and expected the better turning grip, the extra width really improves the handling. The surprise was that I hit 72 BMPH. The best I have ever done before that was about 69. I checked to make sure, there was no wind assisting me.

Was it the slightly larger tire (1 mm increased radius), or the better flowing exhaust?
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Great. Can you provide a pic of the exhaust mod? I'm not sure if you modified the pipe flange or the exhaust port. I think the tire made the most difference in your speed increase.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Argee

exhaust pipe mod pic, Buddy 170i

Post by Argee »

It was the pipe I opened up, to match the gasket.
Attachments
buddy exhaust matched-small.jpg
buddy exhaust matched-small.jpg (152.08 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Argee

Stock exhaust pipe

Post by Argee »

Here's the stock exhaust pipe. When I took it off, I forgot to mention that only one header bolt was attached. It looks like they shipped it that way, the naked bolt had no thread scratches, like it was brand new. Another high-quality Buddy product...
Attachments
stock exhaust snip.JPG
stock exhaust snip.JPG (47.77 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Dooglas

Re: What made me faster?

Post by Dooglas »

Argee wrote:I just swapped the crappy stock tire that went bald in 5500 miles with the Kenda 130/70-10.
I agree that the stock tire on the Buddy is nothing special - I use Continental Zippys. You will find, however, that any rear tire wears fairly quickly on a 10" wheel. 5,500 miles is not really bad, and certainly not unusual.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

How'd you go 5,500 miles with only one exhaust bolt? I'd have through it would make a serious racket. And the exhaust has never been off before, to get at the rear wheel/brakes?
Argee

One exhaust bolt = just lucky

Post by Argee »

I think the crush gasket did its job. I never heard any exhaust leak, nor did I notice a power loss. Maybe it slowly fell off and I didn't notice, but like I said, the bolt shows no scratches whatsoever. Well, now it does.