genuine buddy 170i stalling.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeadbeatLemon

genuine buddy 170i stalling.

Post by DeadbeatLemon »

so before I put my scoot up for fall and winter (only about the last three months ago) I adjusted my valves for the first time and I seemed to have done it correctly. rode fine for a few hundred miles before I put it up for winter.
I just pulled it out again and I had issues getting it to start and then I remembered the ol' idle reset trick and it worked like a charm.

thing is, it's stalling out randomly on me and the only way to get it to start again is resetting the idle. the engine seems to run alright, the idle isn't as smooth as it originally was but its not terrible. you guys have any ideas? should I give the valve adjustment a try again?

I have 3,300 miles on it and just did my second oil/filter change. air filter has a little dirt but overall pretty darn clean. any suggestions would help. Im looking like an idiot stalling out on red lights. :cry:
tenders

Post by tenders »

Did you try a full tank of fresh gas yet? Not topping off with fresh gas, a full tank.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Or maybe try adding some Seafoam or Techtron to the fuel for a couple of tanks. Might help clean out any crud in the FI system.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

So when it stalls, it won't restart, and the only way to get it to fire back up is to actually go through the throttle position sensor reset, at the light, or by the side of the road?

If so, it sounds like you may be losing your ecu connection, or possibly the fuse/relay responsible for powering it up. I would check the tiny fuse responsible for the ECU, and make sure that fuse filament isn't snapped. I have seen them break with vibration, but still appear to be ok. Wiggle the fuse legs and observe the filament for a tiny gap. Or just replace, and hopefully be done with it.
DeadbeatLemon

170i

Post by DeadbeatLemon »

If it happens I try to back out of the way so the rest of traffic can go. But yeah it turns over and the starter will crank the engine with zero firing just like it’s out of gas or something. And as soon as I restart the idle it’s starts up immediately just like it should. And yeah it’s got a new tank of gas with sea foam
tenders

Post by tenders »

A complex ECU issue could be the culprit but it would be better to rule out the (unfortunately large number) of simpler issues that could be causing the problem first.

Couple of ideas...have you ascertained that the resetting of the idle is what's fixing the problem...and not simply the passage of time so that the coil can cool off, or fuel from a restricted fuel line can seep around the blockage?

Are you certain the spark plug is firmly seated into the block, and the cap is well-seated on the plug?

"Like it's out of gas"...are you certain gas is flowing through the vacuum-operated valve correctly, no vacuum leak, etc?
DeadbeatLemon

Post by DeadbeatLemon »

I don't believe its the passage of time. I tried to start it unitil my battery died, then week later hooked it up to a car to jump it with and it just turned over and over. then started right up after resetting. I cant remember if I had to remove the boot when I adjusted my valves so ill pull the cover off and try that but im pretty sure that's not the issue. resetting the idle is the only way to get it back up and running. I have a 2013, and im curious if that was one of the years they had issues with the ecu. even if that isn't the issue id like to see if I can just pull it out of mail it to a dealer to be "updated" seeing as I just changed all the oil and added a pretty heavy dose of seafoam im going to try to putt around the neighborhood and see if it clears up on its own.