Rear brake drum warpage on Buddy scoots

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fried okra

Rear brake drum warpage on Buddy scoots

Post by fried okra »

My new Buddy 125 has a pulsation when applying the rear brake.

I've gotta believe this is due to a warpage of the rear drum.

I'm trying to decide whether this is worth going thru the warranty process or whether its fairly typical of Buddy scooters, and to just live it.

Anyone else been down this road before?

fried okra
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Why would you not take it back to the dealership if there's a problem?

I've never heard of any rear drum problems like this, so I'd be worried.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

My 2015 170i had a rear brake problem like what you describe. I returned it to the dealer and they removed the rear drum and wheel from another new scoot' in stock and put it on my scoot'. The problem didn't go away. The tire was a different brand. When I returned a second time to let them know that the problem was still there and that I didn't like having different tires on my new scoot' they said, "It's an inexpensive scoot', what do you expect? Hahaha" and "Does the scoot' know that it has different tires on each end? Hahaha"
They are people I have chosen to not purchase from.
I hope you have much better fortunes.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Interesting thoughts group.

That's why I am kinda wondering whether better to leave things alone or not.

And whether this slightly out-of-round rear brake drum is typical of Buddy scoots in general.

fried okra
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Don't know if it's common or not but my 2008 Buddy doesn't have this issue.
Maybe either your brake drum or shoes are contaminated and need a good sanding/cleaning.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Thanks, babblefish.....mine is a new scooter, garaged, with only 40 miles on it now.

Was that way from the day I got a few days ago.

Thanks for your input, it was valuable.

fried okra
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Haven't had this issue in 30k of buddy miles.

2 new scoots and one of the original '06.

There's no way it's normal.

They are small wheeled, light on suspension. It's not a Ducati, but it should ride sure and steady.
Syd

Post by Syd »

If your Buddy is less than a year old bring it to your dealer. Most dealers are better than GregsBuddy's, apparently.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

fried okra wrote:Thanks, babblefish.....mine is a new scooter, garaged, with only 40 miles on it now.

Was that way from the day I got a few days ago.

Thanks for your input, it was valuable.

fried okra
Only 40 miles? Then I would suspect the brake shoes have not fully seated/bedded in yet. Give them a few more break-in miles before making any decisions on what to do.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Unseated/unbedded shoes or drums affect braking effectiveness, not vibration. Every brake pulsation I’ve ever experienced on any vehicle only got worse over time, never better. I’d get that to the dealer ASAP.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

+1
If you have a good dealer, they'll replace the drum and you'll be fine. If not, be prepared for a long thumpy ride.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Seconded, get that back to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty. If it's vibrating, you either have a badly machined drum, or something going on with the driveshaft. Neither is something you should just have to live with "because it's a cheap scooter". If your warranty is valid, go use it.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I have had some pulsation from the rear drums on my Buddies. I have had 3 Buddys and 2 have had the issue to some degree. My first Buddy 125, which I bought new in 2007, has never had the problem in 20,000 miles. The second 125 (also a 2007) bought used with 1400 miles and it had pulsing from the rear the 4 years I owned it. It was out of warranty when I bought it, but it was bad enough that given the opportunity I probably would have tried a warranty claim. It wasn't bad enough I thought it was a safety issue so I lived with it till I sold it in 2012 to buy my Buddy 170. The 170 developed minor pulsing around 4000 miles, but it's only really noticeable under hard braking or if the scoot has been sitting in high humidity conditions which causes the rear brake to be grabby for the first few stops which amplifies the pulsing during that time.

I'm curious, since your Buddy is new, did it come with alloy wheels or steel wheels? My experience is with the older steel style which has removable drums, but I believe the newest Buddies are arriving with alloys which I'm guessing are one piece.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

350km.....now that I look at it would appear the aluminum wheel and rear drum are a single unit integral piece. Manufacture date was July 2018.

I am guessing the earlier Buddy's with steel wheels used a separate cast iron or steel drum?

This would appear to be an aluminum alloy rear drum on my 2019 Buddy I guess. Or maybe has a steel or iron drum pressed into the aluminum wheel.

An aluminum brake drum seems to be a very high wear item would think.

fried okra
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

fried okra wrote:350km.....now that I look at it would appear the aluminum wheel and rear drum are a single unit integral piece. Manufacture date was July 2018.

I am guessing the earlier Buddy's with steel wheels used a separate cast iron or steel drum?

This would appear to be an aluminum alloy rear drum on my 2019 Buddy I guess. Or maybe has a steel or iron drum pressed into the aluminum wheel.

An aluminum brake drum seems to be a very high wear item would think.

fried okra
I can't imagine it isn't sleeved....aluminum brakes would just be silly.
https://youtu.be/j-f84IZhmTA?t=107
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rear brake drum warpage on Buddy scoots

Post by jrsjr »

fried okra wrote:My new Buddy 125 has a pulsation when applying the rear brake.

I've gotta believe this is due to a warpage of the rear drum.

A drum that's out-of-round isn't just annoying, it's dangerous, so don't let this slide. Read this well-written and illustrated article carefully then have your dealer (or an auto place) check/service your drum exactly as described in the article.

Let us know the outcome, please.