New to me 2014 Buddy 125....some issues with throttle...help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddy_SF_Rider

New to me 2014 Buddy 125....some issues with throttle...help

Post by Buddy_SF_Rider »

I have just recently purchased a Buddy 125 from someone who was just letting it sit in their garage.

I have already changed the oil, added new fuel (about 1/8th of a tank of old gas), fuel filter, cleaned the carb and jets.

The issue that I am running into is that I will slightly twist the throttle, it will rev slightly and then about 2-3 seconds later it just opens up.

I can't figure out why this is happening, any advice?

Thanks!
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

By "just opens up", you are saying the scooter starts to accelerate?

Or maybe the engine starts to stall out?

fried okra
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Only you, the rider, can "open up" the throttle in the carburetor by twisting the handle.

Perhaps you can explain the phenomenon without the jargon, since we're a bit confused.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I believe the OP is trying to say that there's a delay in the throttle response, i.e., hesitation.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

When you say it "opens up", are you saying that it goes to full throttle with just a small amount of throttle input?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
tenders

Post by tenders »

The simplest explanation for hesitation like you’re describing, given the situation, is ongoing schmutz in the carb - suggest taking it apart again and recleaning the jets.

It can also be a result of bad gas, which seems pretty likely to me as the addition of 7/8 of a tank of good gas to 1/8 of a tank of bad gas really creates 8/8 of a tank of mediocre gas. I would suggest draining the tank completely and replacing it with high octane fresh gas simply to rule out this potential cause. (I’ve also found that too much Seafoam causes hesitation, but that was in a 2T engine.)

It could also be a little air leak in the carb, so be very careful that you get the gaskets in place and seated tightly when you reassemble it. You might check the assembly of the other side of the carb too (the top half as it sits when installed).

Other possibilities easily investigated and ruled out: fouled plug, or loose connection from the plug boot onto the plug. The engine could also hesitate when it’s cold out, which might not really be worth futzing with.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Possibly the accelerator pump diaphragm is not seated well now after the carb was taken apart.

Or the diaphragm could have gotten punctured during the carb cleaning process.

fried okra
Buddy_SF_Rider

Post by Buddy_SF_Rider »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll take apart the carb again and try to clean everything again.

I'm not sure if this video will help out any.

https://vimeo.com/user95268883/review/3 ... b12f6b3dda
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Buddy_SF_Rider wrote:Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll take apart the carb again and try to clean everything again.

I'm not sure if this video will help out any.

https://vimeo.com/user95268883/review/3 ... b12f6b3dda
:( No video.
Buddy_SF_Rider

Post by Buddy_SF_Rider »

JettaKnight- really? I clicked on the link and it worked. It's just a 4-5 second video clip.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Really.

“Sorry, we couldn’t find that page. Make sure you’ve typed the URL correctly, or try searching Vimeo. You could also watch one of the videos below instead.�

Maybe it isn’t available for public viewing? Care to suggest a search term?
Buddy_SF_Rider

Post by Buddy_SF_Rider »

Sorry about that.

I hope this works:

https://vimeo.com/318344045
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Yep, that sounds like a leaky diaphragm seal. Try greasing the bead where it's supposed to be sealing, and inspect the diaphragm for cracks/tears.
Buddy_SF_Rider

Post by Buddy_SF_Rider »

Update:

No tear or cracks in the diaphragm, although it may not have been seated correctly.

Cleaned the rest of the carb and it fired up and is running smooth now.

Not exactly sure what happened, but its all good now.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. This is definitely a new learning process, but i'm enjoying every part of it.