Purchasing Used - how far to investigate

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Used scoot checkout after purchase

Jump on and ride
50%
Change the fluids and the plug
25%
Clean the carb
25%
Pull the engine
No votes
Total disassembly and overhaul
No votes

Total votes: 4

Mr.FixIt

Purchasing Used - how far to investigate

Post by Mr.FixIt »

When you purchase a used scoot, how far should you go over it before putting it on the road? Change the fluids, check the brake linings, check the plug. I had to do much more naturally, I bought mine wrecked. Should I have just pulled the engine and done all the seals and cleaned the engine up? Oh glorious hindsight!

The ONE thing that I didn't do was to check under the fan shroud for a mouse nest. The guy I bought it from had it in a garage, who would have thought there would be a mouse in there? Grrrr. Well, it should run much cooler now.

The original intent was to decoke the head, so I did that anyway. That had never been done.

Considering the SITO+ exhaust and all this work I've been doing, I'm ready for the breakfast rides this year. I should no longer fear any distance. *jinx*
Attachments
decoke
decoke
Screenshot from 2019-03-17 08-51-41.png (169.69 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
mouse nest - removed
mouse nest - removed
IMAG1057.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It depends entirely on the age of the bike, the backstory, my general impression of the seller, etc. Too many variables. If they seem even slightly clueless, but the bike starts and runs, I'll feel it out on my own test ride. If it's their daily and it's feeling right performance-wise, I'll leave it alone until it misbehaves. If it's a barn find, I'll fine-tooth comb it, having also found mouse nests, caches of corn in the CVT, etc.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Seems like it is important to home in on the fact that we are talking 2-stroke here, As Stanza says, the condition and age of the bike have great bearing on this question. As a general answer though, I think a 4T merits an inspection and fluids change (plugs last a long time in 4Ts), while a 2T merits fluids, plug, and carb cleaning. (if you don't already know how to clean the carb on a 2T scooter, you should learn)